Shimano Twin Powers 5000 On A TICA Rod!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
HOW TO PUT TOGETHER A KILLER WHIPPING/LIGHT PLUGGING COMBO!

Getting a Shimano Twin Power SW5000XG gave me shivers! Next to the Shimano Stella it's one of the best spinning reels on the market! So naturally i'd want a whipping rod to properly complement the reel. After test whipping dozens of makes & models i ended up choosing the 10'6" TICA HLHB106M2S Medium Salmon Steelhead rod. To further enhance this combo i had 270yd of 15lb test J-Braid spooled as well.

The Twin Power is rated at 41in of line per crank, has a 6.2:1 ratio, a max drag of 29lbs and a 11+1 impressive bearing system. The TICA is rated for 8-12lb line and has a lure weight rating of 3/8-3/4oz. This is my 6th TICA and my personal experience using these rods has taught me that the recommended ratings are much lower then the actual applications of their rods.

On paper The TP 5K can be regarded as a beefed-up Stradic and/or a downgraded Stella model. For example the Stradic 5K has 6+1 ball bearings while the Stella 14+1 BB.The Max drag of the Stradic 5K is 24lbs while the Stella 5K has the exact rating of the TP at 29lbs.

YouTube