shorter trotting rod

neil mason 2

Reaction score
Looking a shorter rod for trotting local becks, 13' is to long because of the trees and bushes. 11' rod would be ideal but not silly prices, any ideas lads.

The Monk

Reaction score
Still have my 11.3 Hardy Fred J Taylor trolling rod, glass though

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drennan do their matchpro in 11ft. The rod seems to have p;enty of good feedback so might it be worth a look. You can see it on their website.

flightliner

Reaction score
have you thought of cutting down an old or second hand float rod and putting a new handle on
Just done the very thing-- I have a really nice Shimano aero match at 13".
I fish a very narrow river with lots of overhanging trees and a shorter rod was called for.
Luckily for me ,some few years ago I found the but section of a full cork handled rod that was washed up against a tree on the river Trent, it was badly scratched and the butt rings had gone but other than that it was fine.
Using the two top sections of the shimano I have made a good connection of the two rods after cutting the butt off to some four inches above the cork and other than adding a new but smaller stand off but ring I now have a super little "Trotter" --- Cant wait for the next time out when theres some colour in the little river, its been great for chub this year.

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I fish a very narrow river with lots of overhanging trees and a shorter rod was called for.
Luckily for me ,some few years ago I found the but section of a full cork handled rod that was washed up against a tree on the river Trent, it was badly scratched and the butt rings had gone but other than that it was fine.
Using the two top sections of the shimano I have made a good connection of the two rods after cutting the butt off to some four inches above the cork and other than adding a new but smaller stand off but ring I now have a super little "Trotter" --- Cant wait for the next time out when theres some colour in the little river, its been great for chub this year.

Precisely - :thumbs:

Most of the shorter rods that I see are Pellet Waggler rods or some other 'stepped up' item - not really what you'd want for trotting..

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

How about the TFGear medium compact float rod at 10 ft.

Paul

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner

Precisely -

Most of the shorter rods that I see are Pellet Waggler rods or some other 'stepped up' item - not really what you'd want for trotting..

Just measured my "new" tiny trotter-- its 10ft- 8" and it feels realy nice.
Paul-- sorry friend-- cant help you with the TFG rod you mention as I,ve not seen one.

neil mason 2

Reaction score
Hi

How about the TFGear medium compact float rod at 10 ft.

Paul

Know nothing about TFG rods, most of reviews I have read from anglers who have used them, have slated them. Have they improved since Mr Hayes is no longer connected with TFG Tackle

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are boat loads of short commercial rods around these days. However, they all seem to have through actions that I hate to use for trotting unless it's very short range stuff. Pick up at distance is woeful with a through actioned rod. Finding a short rod with a match rod tip to middle action or even a fast action like a proper trotting rod is nigh on impossible. I had the same problem a few years ago, before the current fashion for short commie rods came about. I ended up with a 10' Abu Enticer Match Rod. Hardly the best in the world, but it was pretty damned cheap. Unlike most manufacturers, Abu usually seem to have a short match rod in their range.

neil mason 2

Reaction score
There are boat loads of short commercial rods around these days. However, they all seem to have through actions that I hate to use for trotting unless it's very short range stuff. Pick up at distance is woeful with a through actioned rod. Finding a short rod with a match rod tip to middle action or even a fast action like a proper trotting rod is nigh on impossible. I had the same problem a few years ago, before the current fashion for short commie rods came about. I ended up with a 10' Abu Enticer Match Rod. Hardly the best in the world, but it was pretty damned cheap. Unlike most manufacturers, Abu usually seem to have a short match rod in their range.

Hi Sam been a while since we last talked. You know the Beck in question, so far not having a problem with otters yet, and the chub are plentyful and the grayling are making a come back.

Did try my series 7 commie rod but with a through action it was a bit of a nightmare as I was trotting in the region of 50 metre ish so I did not spook the fish. Will have keep my eyes open for a abu

paul80

Reaction score
Know nothing about TFG rods, most of reviews I have read from anglers who have used them, have slated them. Have they improved since Mr Hayes is no longer connected with TFG Tackle

I have three rods from their compact range, the 10ft All Rounder, the 10 ft Medium Float and the 10ft carp rod.

I have used all three quite a bit this year and to be honest I cannot fault any of them. They have all done exactly what's on the tin.

For the money the build quality is faultless and would happily recomend them to anyone.

The only thing to note is regarding the float rod, make sure you get the medium one as the standard rod and the float rod part of the all rounder is to quote Mr Hayes "it's a bit of a Donky Stopper" the medium one is fine.

The big secret when reviewing low cost tackle is to not compare it to high price items which should be much better, even though in some cases they are not.

Treat them for what they are and you will be happy, spend your life comparing everything to the top of the range item you have just bought or lusted after and you will never be happy.

Paul

nhs service

Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing as Flightliner, I had an old 12ft rod,so I bought a broken rod butt from a tackle dealer,he used to keep them in a bin and they cost a quid, I stripped off the nasty foamy stuff and sanded it down then araldited it into the new butt which I had cut off flush, I ended up with something 11' 3ish, it balanced in the hand like a dream and the butt ring being much closer kept everything nice and tidy with the pin.
That was for the cut, but it would have worked all right as a trotter,nothing worse than having an awkward cast, Murphys law says you will tree it,right when things are starting to happen.
Manufacturers of twin tip Avons could help here, rivermen dont want a second tip the size of a tree trunk with a screw in end ring, a nice slim float fishing second tip would be a big help.
All the best.

flightliner

Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing as Flightliner, I had an old 12ft rod,so I bought a broken rod butt from a tackle dealer,he used to keep them in a bin and they cost a quid, I stripped off the nasty foamy stuff and sanded it down then araldited it into the new butt which I had cut off flush, I ended up with something 11' 3ish, it balanced in the hand like a dream and the butt ring being much closer kept everything nice and tidy with the pin.
That was for the cut, but it would have worked all right as a trotter,nothing worse than having an awkward cast, Murphys law says you will tree it,right when things are starting to happen.
Manufacturers of twin tip Avons could help here, rivermen dont want a second tip the size of a tree trunk with a screw in end ring, a nice slim float fishing second tip would be a big help.
All the best.
I,ve been waterside today and showed an aquintence the one I spoke of beforehand-- He thought it was just the ticket and is going to look thro his array of rods to see if he can knock one up himself.