Shot, stotz and styx

mikench

Reaction score
Try as I might I just cannot put ,say 8 no8 shot on the line. I can manage maybe 2 before I lose patience. I bought some Preston Stotz with the silly applicator and couldn’t cope. I bought some size 12 and thought I’d got a container of iron filings.

How would you apply 8 no 8 shot to your line or would you try the alternatives. What are the biggest size of stotz and is there a way to apply them. I watched a vid of a Dinesmores product which looked a faff in a well lit studio let alone on the bank in the rain.

I only ask just in case I’m missing something and before I bin the lot.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No idea what diameter line your using Mike, but you need quite low diameters for the small shot to latch on properly

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This is how I do it. Line must be taught . Shot between thumb and middle finger. At the end use your teeth. Apologies for background noise, I was watching Storage wars..

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Shouldn't be an issue with those diameters, maybe your shot is too hard?
Waht you using?

Just normal shot from one of those round dispensers. I hold my hands up and admit I put as little shot on as I can get away with and a few large rather than 8 small. :rolleyes: .

wetthrough

Reaction score
I find Stotz type much easier to get in position than round shot prior to pinching them on. For pinching them on I use dental pliers.

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon I'm going to practice today with some stotz and the stotter. I won't attempt the iron filings though. ;)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike when using stotz, make sure the slot is lying "face down" pick up with stutter, style pliers, or jewelry pliers, whatever you are using, keep the line taut and put on line and close slot, no need to clamp it tight, position how you want them on line then just give them a nip with stutter to hold in place,
I have mine were I can move them up or down the line after moistening the line. I think I posted a shotting chart to show equivalent weight of shot, the smaller sizes are the same for stotz

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
20200614_164811.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Mike if you find the stotter awkward to use, I use a small pair of long nosed pliers, place stot on the table cut side down, pick up with pliers and nip onto tight line.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If float fishing on running line I don’t think you need go any smaller than a number 8.

I tie pole rigs and stick float rigs at home in the warm and light. Could be adapted to waggler rigs on the bank though I rarely fish the waggler on running water. Erring on the side of slightly over shotting as it’s easier to take off than put on and /or bristle grease (Vaseline) can fine tune.

I’ve just bought some guru shot as I’m fed up with stotz moving on the line so will be trying these on my next rig tying session.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes place stotz either cut side down on palm of hand or on side tray and attach as has been suggested. If using palm of hand just put one on one at a time, saves dropping them
My method is slightly different. I put the stot on a hard surface eg bait box lid with the slit upwards then place the taut line in the groove, place stotta pliers over the top and squeeze.

No right or wrong way, just find a way that works for you and practice it.

Oh and as the years have advanced a pair of reading glasses helps!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just normal shot from one of those round dispensers. I hold my hands up and admit I put as little shot on as I can get away with and a few large rather than 8 small. :rolleyes: .

Mike, why do you feel the need to use such small weights?

Always makes me lol when I see videos with the likes of James Robins faffing about bunching strings of no8 when you can get just as good a resuly if you use less larger shot.

mikench

Reaction score
I don't Ian most of the time but thought I would try them out as I have them anyway. I know I'm puddled. ;)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
My method is slightly different. I put the stot on a hard surface eg bait box lid with the slit upwards then place the taut line in the groove, place stotta pliers over the top and squeeze.

No right or wrong way, just find a way that works for you and practice it.

Oh and as the years have advanced a pair of reading glasses helps!
I used to have a board when making pole rigs at home, it was about 3' long, panel pin in one end for hook or hooklength loop to go on.
I would put small dots of blue tack on it where I wanted stotz or shot to go with slit at top. Put hook or loop over panel pin, place taut line in slits ,hold taut with one hand, and pick stotter or pliers up up with other hand and squeeze stotz/shot closed,
Sounds awkward but its not.