Should we end the closed season on rivers?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If the NFA were to get involved in this debate (do they ever read these debates or do they just ignore them?) they would say: 'Don't give that extra funding to the EA but give it to us and we will do all what you want with that kind of budget.'

And I'll start to believe that when they put as much effort into the rest of angling as they do into organising matches.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
This is why I aid we ought to have a representitive from all the groups ....Only one each though otherwise the thing will get too unwieldy very quickly. I am not a member of the NFA and therefore do not feel able to comment on them specificaly. The funding would not be going to the EA but to the new body which would be seperate to the EA and have an entirely different role in representing the interests of all anglers regardless of allegiences to any area of our sport.
If the NFA wish to drag thier feet over the issue start with the other organisations first and they will eventually come into the fold.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
THIS MESSAGE IS FROM BARRIE RICKARDS:

As I do not have access to the Net, and wouldn't have the faintest idea how to begin even if I did, I rely on Graham Marsden to post (is that the word?) my belated reply.

I seem to have accidentally misled Paul Williams. I DO believe the decision has already been made, but I agree with Steve Pope that the decision will be in favour of RETAINING the river's close season, and that this will obtain for a few years now.

It's the wrong decision in my own view, although it does not affect me personally in any way - hence I can look at the matter coldly. A good debate is excellent.

The ONLY thing I have objected to in this debate is the abuse being thrown, quite unnecessarily, and most of it has come from the pro-close season side. (I was with Steve Pope at the weekend. What a pity he didn't remind me it was HIM: we could have had a good punch up. Mind you, as he is nobbut a young fellow, I might have come off the worse!).

Good points are being made in this Forum, especially by the editor!!

As someone said, it's a bit of a pity that the debate could not have been fuller before Moran reached its recommendations to the Review Committee.

Barrie Rickards

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Dear Barrie
Having read through this thread prior to responding I could not see a great deal of abuse being bandied about. Rather some very robust comments made by a number of people who are passionatly commited to their sport regardless of which side of the debate they are on. I agreee with you in that there should have been greater opportunity for this debate to happen before Moran reached its findings. However I do disagree that
they reached the wrong conclusion for all the reasons I have tried to point out earlier in this thread. But from my perspective would say that wouldn't I!!.
What I have found heartening is the depth of passion that has been shown by both sides of this debate What I hope that will eventually that passion that has been displayed will be able to be harnessed in the defence of angling when needed in the future.
Good debate is a healthy thing and forums such as this finally give all of us the chance to be heard which is a major step forward as access to the media can be difficult for most of us.
Just one more thing ..Graham please can we have the edit facillity back as my typographical howlers do not add grace to my entries
Cheers
Alan

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Alan, Barrie wasn't referring to any abuse on this Forum, but to comments he's read elsewhere.

And I'll forward your comments about the edit facility to the tech boys in London.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Drat and there was me filing my teeth ready to bite his ankle!!!!Mind you he might have set one of his guard pike on me!
Many thanks re the edit facillity
Cheers
Alan

M

Mark Munday

To all anglers out there I have just been reading a well known sunday slime rag [News of the world]
One quack problem page writer wrote that "We must deal with hunting first and then see about the fishermen. If we take on angleing before Hunting is banned the two groups may join up and stop the abolition of hunting and fishing" these are not the exact words of the comment because I dont have the paper to hand but I think the jist is clear.If we as anglers continue to back bite and infight we will see the day when our beloved sport comes under threat. Whatever your views on the close season we must stand together to protect our sport.
Keep um tight, Mark

A

Andrew Brown

I agree with Graham on that fisheries should keep their own closed season, that way the people who run the fishery know the waters and the land around them.

W

william kirkwood

Iagree with all freinds of the cycle
of nature.
KEEP THE CLOSE SEASON