Silly things you have done...

B

Birds Nest

Just thought I'd stew up some red band in my brand new metal flask... Now everything tastes funny.... Why dod I do that ?

R

Rob Brownfield

i used an thin aluminium camping saucepan to melt down lead for making weight..now i have a Coleman stove with a shinny lead coating and a saucepan with no bottom!

R

Ron Clay

About 10 years ago I prepared a lovely casserole for a certain lady I was entertaining. Put the whole lot in a silver dish and warmed it up in the microwave!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I got in me boat, pushed myself away from the bank out into the lake and found i had left the oars on the bank!
D'oh

C

Chris Bishop

Snatched what I thought were a packet of frozen sandeels out of the freezer, slung the rods in the car and went bassin'.

Got to the beach and found I'd got French beans instead.

S

Shrek

Ron, that sounds like it made the whole evening go off with a bang !!!

What was the detrimental effect? Did the earth move?

S

Shrek

On a more thread related note, not long after I started fishing I hooked what I thought was a big fish and stepped forward onto what I thought was the bank covered in reeds. The reeds were definitely there, just that the bank underneath them wasn't !!

C

Chris Bishop

What made things worse was I decided to have a root through the bins in the car park, on the offchance someone else had slung their bait and an old boy came up, pressed a fiver into my hand and said: "GO on mate - go and get yourself a decent meal..."

C

Curly

It's got nothing to do food items or the like but I remember fishing a small pond a couple of years ago.

I thought there was just me and another bloke fishing so when he called over to see if I had caught anything I replied, not a bloody thing, he shouted back yes you have I just saw you land something. I assured him that I had not. Little did I realise that his mate was fishing in the next peg!!! Talk about feeling like an idiot.

M

Mike Parker

On a very cold frosty morning I was Grayling fishing with my brand new 16' (or for Rons benefit 4.8768m) Drennen cushion tip rod, within 15mins of starting to fish I latched into a nice 4lb 6oz (1.97kg) Chub. I landed and unhooked it and went down the steep bank to release it and slipped in head first. I scrambled up the bank and reduced the rod to 15'4" (4.67m)

M

Mark St Jefferson

Recently I was putting the finishing touches to a painting I was doing. (it was of an eel so it is kinda related)

Wife brought me in a mug of coffee, which she put down next to my brush cleaning mug (an old tin cup).

I dunked my brush in the turps gave it a good swish round, wiped it off then dunked and swished again to finish cleaning it, only this time it was in the coffee mug.

Coffee tasted blooming horrible, but the brush came up a treat.

R

Richard Barrell

A couple of years ago I was standing on the edge of the bank, attempting to put my bank stick into earth that was like concrete.
when the edge gave way and I finished up chest deep; and had to spend the rest of the match sitting in very wet clothes.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Many years ago me and a friend, Cooky, were fishing Newark Dyke on the moorings above the Red Bridge. For those who don't know there is about a 4 or 5 ft drop from the top of the concrete bank to the water level.

I had placed my seatbox just a little too far forward and managed to slowly fall forward, headfirst straight down my keepnet. Incidentally it was a mild February day, but the water was freezing.

As I swam back up to the surface in all my now heavily watterlogged winter clothing I could see that I would struggle to reach the top of the bank in order to pull myself up and out of the water.

After three attempts of diving under the water so that I could spring back up I still couldn't get out.

I shouted to my mate who was reeling in 15 yards downstream. As he swung his tackle in he turned his head to me and shouted 'Giyup, you'll scare t'fish away!' He then re-filled his feeder, re-cast and sat staring at his tip with his back to me!

Luckily the guy in the next peg downstream saw that my mate wouldn't help and pulled me out.

Unbelievably me and Cooky are still good mates.

C

Craig Smith

This might sound cruel but you've got to see the funny side,

Last summer I was fishing in the local park lake with the normal dog-walkers and parents and toddlers. One particular toddler was walking along the edge with his mother telling him to get away from the edge. Within seconds the poor buggar fell in (only up to his knee's) and his mother just stood back pointed and laughed out loud and said
"I told you so now get out your disturbing the fishing!!"
Too which my mate and I just cracked up and spent the next 10mins rolling on the floor clutching our sides.

R

Robert Draper

Only last weekend I was scouting out the local res looking for signs of fish, any fish when I saw a large chap with an alsation on a short leash standing on one of the fishing platforms (you know the type - tattoed eyelids and a room temperature IQ). A few minutes later a duck skittered across the surface of the water and the dog lurched off in pursuit pulling the poor chap into about 2m of cold murky water. The stupidest thing I have ever done is to still be there laughing my head off when he pulled himself out...

K

Keith Miller

Silliest thing I ever did whilst fishing was when fishing a lake in Ireland when out on a platform, sitting on a seatbox. I could not be bothered to get off and so I attempted to correct a wobble on the platform by reaching down and adjusting one leg. Be all right thinks I, only need to undo it slightly.
Guess what? SPLASH! The kids I had with me thought it hilarious and have never allowed me to forget the incident. Ruined a good camera too.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before to a few, but the silliest thing I have done is drive 25 miles to a fishery, set up all my gear, rigged up the pole, got the float just so etc. I put all my bait on a tripod baitwaiter next to me, went to sit on my box and promptly knocked my baitwaiter over. All my bait disappeared into 6ft of water, so I just had to pack up and drive home again.

A

andrew jackson

I once turned up at my mates house half an hour drive away. We were going away for a week's fishing, and I was driving. We had loaded all his gear into my car, when he suddenly enquired as to the whereabouts of my rod holdall. I had left my rod holdall back home in the kitchen. Ah well it only had one or two minor items in it, rods, reels, landing net, bank sticks and last but not least my home for the duration of the week.

M

Mark Jones

While fishing the Thames at Walton last August I was using caster and hemp as loose feed.
Chucking in a small handfull before and after each cast and also munching my way through a packet of Bombay mix......
A DEADLY COMBINATION!!!
Loosefeed in, cast,keep an eye on that float...trot..trot...trot..Retrieve float, loosefeed in, re-bait hook, mouthfull of Bombay mix, cast, loosefeed in...trot..trot..trot....Retrieve float.
Check hookbait...Cast, loosefeed in, Mouthfull of Bombay mix...trot..trot..trot...retrieve float...

Loosefeed in, cast..trot..trot..Retrieve float, re-bait hook,cast, loosefeed Bombay mix, mouthfull of caster and hemp!!!!!!