Size of line

Dinray

Reaction score
Hi I have a new rod want to know what size line to put on it the information on the rod said 10-40g as I understand am ok to put 12lb line is that correct thanks

Dinray

Reaction score
Just started fishing Roach bream but in the lake there are carp I use a No 12 hook with a 8lb line. Had my line broken did not have the drag set up right

Keith M

Reaction score
Which rod is it?

The 10-40gr usually refers to the casting weight it is designed to cast and not the weight of line to use on it.
If you told us the rod model it might be easier for us to find your answer.

Spinning/lure rods are usually marked with the casting weights in grams like 10-15gr or 10-40gr etc. so it’s probably a spinning/lure rod.

Keith

Keith M

Reaction score
It seems that it’s a Diawa Sweepfire spinning rod (see site below)

I can’t find a list of recommended line strengths but I found this

The middle to tip action of the Sweepfire range allow for versatile lure and bait fishing.When under tension each sports impressive loading within the butt . The 7' model is ideal for light lines and small spinners while the larger 10' rod will cope well with larger lures and plugs and will easily handle large Salmon or Pike.

At a guess I’d guess that the 8ft rod could be best with lines of around 7lb to 10lbs but that’s only a guess.

If I can find more info I’ll pass it onto you.

Keith

Last edited:

Dinray

Reaction score
It seems that it’s a Diawa Sweepfire spinning rod (see site below)

I can’t find a list of recommended line strengths but I found this

The middle to tip action of the Sweepfire range allow for versatile lure and bait fishing.When under tension each sports impressive loading within the butt . The 7' model is ideal for light lines and small spinners while the larger 10' rod will cope well with larger lures and plugs and will easily handle large Salmon or Pike.

At a guess I’d guess that the 8ft rod could be best with lines of around 7lb to 10lbs but that’s only a guess.

If I can find more info I’ll pass it onto you.

Keith
Thanks