Sleeping bag upgrade

naxian62

Reaction score
Looking for some reccomendations for a new bag.
Bought a cheapie coupla years ago, its warm enough but the retention straps are crap and it doesn t have the elasticated hood thingies, also the zips aint the best. Bought a waterproof/fleece cover with a built-in mozzy mesh for it last year which I'm very happy with, so not looking for a waterproof outer layer.
Any ideas where I should be looking fellas ?

terry m

Reaction score
Interested to hear any recommendations on this.

My old Trakker Big Snooze bag is a little tatty and worse for wear, not sure what the best option is these days.

flightliner

Reaction score
Interested to hear any recommendations on this.

My old Trakker Big Snooze bag is a little tatty and worse for wear, not sure what the best option is these days.
Google "go army" if their sleeping bags are good enough for the armed forces they should be ok for a few nights in the uk.
I have one (not from go army, but a British army one with a good stuff bag) in my garage, an good winter one that I used for several years until I stopped doing nights some years ago.

naxian62

Reaction score
Yeah does make sense to look at military gear. Certainly a way of avoiding "carp tax". But my biggest bugbear with the bag I have now is it falling/sliding off the bedchair when I'm setting up. A second point is military bags invariably have just one zip. So even though top branded carp bags are too much dollar they do offer features which prevent hassles. But which one to go for?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have the Trakker Big Snooze sleeping bag and it has proven itself over many nights on the bankside. If I ever need to replace it then I'll look for another one, assuming they are still made.

A lady friend made me an inner lining for mine so it has stayed in great condition, and I've often used it without the bivvy but with a waterproof cover.

naxian62

Reaction score
Bag Update.
Went for a Gardner Carp Duvet Compact after some research. Out of the box, am quite impressed.
Will update on performance soon. Out on the bank Mon / Tues.

naxian62

Reaction score
Bag Update part 2
So, the Gardner bag really is a quality bit of kit. Very well constructed, proper sturdy zips, clever little toggle system to remove/reposition the inner blanket (?) thing. Only got down to about +10 C when I was out, so not really a test, but when you feel it you can tell it's gonna super warm an toasty. Thing is, I'm a long lanky unit, an it's a tad short for me ! So it's going on the "bay tonight. Too bad cos I can see it lasting for years.
Anyone on here interested in a new bag for the upcoming colder months ?

Tree123

Reaction score
Not much you can so about the bag twist unless you get some like a sleep system after my ss3 leg Brough I was looking at the quilts you can get but never brought one.

john step

Reaction score
Here is an alternative view of sleeping bags. I do a few nights a year still.
As I am not in the first flush of youth I find even the most easy zips are not quick enough for me to cope. Also I need to sleep with my boots on as I am not quick enough to get to a run after slipping crocs on. Fishing where there is any weed for the carp to bolt to exacerbates the problem.

I either reel in for 2 or 3 hours and get shut eye and the zip speed is immaterial or I sleep with with winter coat on and the bag undone and flung over like a duvet.

What I have found is that a high tog double duvet in a suitable dark cover is just as effective to do a night under. The duvet is laid on the carp bed and folded over me. No zips and quick to exit.

Oh yes and no carp tax.