Slowing down

rayner

Reaction score
It's surprising to me how sharp the forum has quietened with the resumption of fishing.
The forum seems to have been rather busy of late but today it's fallen rather quiet.

John Keane

Reaction score
I don’t think that many of the regular posters are out fishing, I could be wrong. Personally, I think this phased lifting of the lockdown is a false dawn and Joe Public will balls it all up and there’ll be another peak and I won’t be back on the bank until at least 1st July. On Sunday I should be travelling up to the Spey for a week salmon fishing. That has hurt me a lot more than missing out on any coarse fishing.

rayner

Reaction score
Your remark regarding false dawn I think is bang on, with the death rate still high we appear to be jumping the gun.
Is your Spey trip deferred or have you had to cancel.

John Keane

Reaction score
Your remark regarding false dawn I think is bang on, with the death rate still high we appear to be jumping the gun.
Is your Spey trip deferred or have you had to cancel.

The estate cancelled our fishing, we are carrying deposits over to the same week next year.

steve2

Reaction score
There were 500 reported deaths today and 3000 new case so where is the change to bring about this change in restrictions.
Also the police have been told they have no power to enforce social distancing, so do what you like no one will stop you.
I see another rise in infections coming soon.

mikench

Reaction score
I went fishing along with many others. I guessed that several of the other anglers were well over 70 so theoretically should be at home. My Dad said Lytham was packed with day trippers . The park and the Green ( famous) were full and social distancing was ignored.

A spike/ renewed attack of the virus is inevitable. We are stupid from the top down.

I did not get close to anybody today and the nearest anglers were at least 2 pegs or 30m away.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Stupid bloody idiots. The R rate is ( or was) coming down as were the number of fatalities albeit slowly. Another 2-3 weeks would have been better AND Boris could have given business a chance to get ready and the rest of us something to look foward to. No...lets have a load of old nonsense that makes it sound like its all over and a new slogan that shifts all responsibility from Him and his onto the " British People" as he insists on calling us. Pillock.

Stay Alert. Confuse the Public. Vote Boris.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It seems to me they have been ramming home this social distance thing relentlessly that I am sure people believe it will prevent them from catching it which is nonsense. There message has come across as do what you like, go back to work and as long as you social distance you will be fine.
I watched a program where 300 people all working in a factory went to great lengths to social distance, that's 300 people under one roof, if one has the virus and they all breath in the same air, the idea that they will all be safe just because they are 6ft apart just seems daft to me.
Not that they are doing so much now, about a third of the people out yesterday around the town behaving as if it is all over. More people wearing masks I noticed and a lot still observing distancing but a lot where just milling around as if everything was normal.
It may be it won't make any difference, the death rate came down a bit yesterday but given the 14 day thing, that's when it will tell, if there is a spike in 14+ days time.
I am going to wait to see what transpires for at least a couple of weeks before I change my lock down routine.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Boris has had many of his odious cronies, most of whom are on the boards of large companies, lobbying hard for a return to making money at the expense of the majority.
Duncan Smith and Rees Moggi spring to mind with many others. I just hope we the proletariat ( me included) remember and ignore the fripperies of life which we do not need. Has anyone missed not having an Aston Martin or visiting Starbucks.

steve2

Reaction score
Why aren't the MPs back at work just to prove to us how safe it is to go back to work. They know it's not safe.
The police now have no power to break up gathering so do anything you like and spread the virus then you can blame Boris and not your self.

flightliner

Reaction score
Not a truly indicative situation but my wife and myself went to the supermarket as usual yesterday where all the normal precautions were in place, wipes for trolley handles, anti bacterial hand gel,two metre spacing of customers many of which were wearing face masks like myself and my wife.
Folk inside were generally trying to keep apart from others as much as possible.
All well practiced after many weeks now
I must admit tho to being concerned with the easing of travel restrictions in general and not in the least bit surprised to hear on FM that some places are inundated with people not observing the simple social distancing precautions!
Meantime for the forseable future the both of us here will stay low .
My only possible exception in the coming days may be, depending on circumstances, a days fly fishing on a massive concrete bowl fishery were I know I'll have more than enough space to be on my own.

steve2

Reaction score
My local country parks are still closed so that means I still can't fish the club lakes even if I wanted to.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
At no time, since this virus arrived on these shores, have I envied the politicians and their scientific advisers, in their task of navigating us through this pandemic. It seems to me that shrill voices rise in protest no matter what their decision and however they attempt to communicate it. Nor can I really judge how many of the Prime Minister's associates are odious - my personal opinion is that his chief rival for the post may have had some far nastier friends; but each to their own.

All governments will have made some mistakes in addressing the situation. All humanity will need to learn from them.

I do not believe that we have seen the last of this disease by any means. Indeed, I fear that it might account for me at some stage. My main priority (which has seemed to be in line with government policy) has been to do what I can to avoid putting medical staff at risk on my behalf, whilst acknowledging that many conscientious people have had to risk their lives, literally to deliver that outcome.

Even within my own household, there are differences of opinion concerning the rigor with which we should continue to try to observe lockdown. I can hardly expect the government to satisfy us all. The suggestion that we will soon have access to a reliable antibody test will make a huge difference but there will be a distinction between those fortunate enough to have survived acquisition of the antibodies and those that will still need help dealing with the fact that they do not yet have them. We will need a great deal of patience and a great deal of luck. Most of all, we will need people to behave like grown-ups. Sadly, I suspect some of the shrillest criticism of government policy is shaped by some people's continued response to its position on withdrawal from the European Union. It's just my opinion, but I do not consider that to be adult behaviour. Or constructive.

Aknib

Reaction score
The suggestion that we will soon have access to a reliable antibody test will make a huge difference but there will be a distinction between those fortunate enough to have survived acquisition of the antibodies and those that will still need help dealing with the fact that they do not yet have them.

A very well balanced post.

On the point quoted it's still not scientifically or medically proven that having had the virus and building up antibodies will prevent someone from getting it a second time and possibly further times beyond that, we're relying on what we 'expect' to be the case based upon other viruses.

The fact that some now appear to have been re-infected, as opposed to having 'old' traces of the initial virus being picked up by more recent tests, is very worrying.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A very well balanced post.

On the point quoted it's still not scientifically or medically proven that having had the virus and building up antibodies will prevent someone from getting it a second time and possibly further times beyond that, we're relying on what we 'expect' to be the case based upon other viruses.

The fact that some now appear to have been re-infected, as opposed to having 'old' traces of the initial virus being picked up by more recent tests, is very worrying.

Sorry to be such a pedantic Aknib but it is important to understand this. If you have anti-bodies present in your body through catching it a first time, it does not prevent you "catching it a second time". The anti bodies will just help destroy it a lot quicker than the first time. Usually before you may have noticed any symptoms. However, if the covid has mutated which it probably will at some point, I think it already has into two strains, your anti-bodies may not work on the new strain and the immune system has to try and find a new anti-body.
I have had many flu jabs, my immune system has stored away plenty of different types of anti-bodies for different types of flu. I will still "catch it" but the immune system can "remember" which anti-body to call up very quickly unless it is a flu type it does not recognize, then it has to start from scratch again which takes time and gives this unrecognized strain a chance to take over. So, anti-bodies are very welcome, the best defense against disease.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw my Dad in a Lowther Gardens in Lytham. He was brought there by a carer not me and I sat on a park bench opposite him and at least 3 m away. This was the first time I had seen him since lockdown. I had to shout as he wears a hearing aid. I brought a flask of hot milky coffee as he likes it and he drank it. We sat and chatted for about 1.5 hours and then he was taken back to his apartment and I trudged back to the car. I complied completely with the edict from the government. I couldn't see my mother because she remains in a care home round the corner and under total lockdown. That is how it is and I do not know if such action will save them or me or everyone else. I am following the rules however. I could meet total strangers this way or in a supermarket but not family.

A 130 mile round trip to sit in a park just to see my Dad. That doesn't make much sense to me. I should be able to go see him in his apartment, cook him a meal, take him for a walk and stay if I wished. It was lovely to see him though and he was happy to see me.

I do not envy the governments of the world in trying to deal with this pandemic and I do not know all the answers. I do know however, and without reiterating all the comments made in other threads, that this country has been on the back foot from the off. You can take your pick of the errors from not taking it seriously in the beginning, not having the PPE in place, not testing 18 million visitors to the UK since February, not testing 1.3 million repatriated brits during the lockdown, not following the trace and test approach adopted by other countries, not entering lockdown soon enough, not learning from the likes of Italy and there are many others.

Those errors, in my opinion, have been compounded, by a premature easing of the lockdown, long before the decline in cases and deaths justified it, and we will see a spike.

You can only judge a government by its actions and inactions and this government has failed for the miriad of reasons previously stated.

Fishing having restarted is a welcome initiative and clearly one taken up by many. Let's hope it doesn't end in tears. How to deal with a pandemic doesn't involve political beliefs just common sense, a desire to do what's right and ensuring that the country is prepared for the difficult steps needed. Who could hand on heart say we are doing well.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice you have had a good old chat with your dad Mike. Have not had a chat with mine for 44 years so make the most of it. Some things transcend everything, money, politics whatever and I would swap the lot for a good old chat with the old chap; he never rated me as a fisherman though:) All he ever did was mumble under his breath whenever he watched me:)

I am watching for a spike in cases in about two weeks, if a lot more people are going to catch it it will start to show after that. Unfortunately we may be lulled into a false sense of security in the meantime as the numbers come down. It could be I am worried about nothing and I hope not and all will be good but time will tell,

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I did Mark and he was genuinely pleased to see me.

I sincerely hope that all my negative and perjorative comments about how we in the UK have dealt with the pandémic are totally unfounded, incorrect and uncalled for. If that proves to be the case I will humbly and at great length apologise. I won't be practicing my post anytime soon.

Enjoy your fishing those who can and for those who can't , it's worth the wait.

steve2

Reaction score
My son is staying with us at the moment, he came for his grandmothers funeral. He is now isolating with us for 2 weeks before going home. His wife is now staying with her mum and dad and will be for at least a month, she is on the at risk register. If he is called back to school in June when they meet up again is any ones guess. It annoys me when I see others acting as if these are normal times.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Boris has had many of his odious cronies, most of whom are on the boards of large companies, lobbying hard for a return to making money at the expense of the majority.

Money can be a root of this evil, but the financial concerns of the many outway the logic of keeping work places closed which is completely understandable. Both Trump and Boris want to come across as heroes to working men and women as well as to business leaders dependent on bottom line consumerism. And like Gov. Cuomo in NY your damned if you do and damned if you don't regardless the numbers (not wholly reliable by any means). But for any political leader to suggest that the worst is over or just go shopping, is not so much a misdirected play on emotions as a dangerous juggling of lives vs monetary issues.

Dr Fauci's days may be numbered and should be - at least according to those on FOX news daily. But when those that do more harm than good jeopardize the lives of thousand for whatever reason, it should be opposed strongly. Unfortunately there are many sickophants in the US that are dead set against their rights being curtailed for any reason. They include the right to work, the right to shop and as important - the right to socialize, and partaaaay. Just the fact that our prez has not set an example of mask and social distancing in the past is an example of an incompetent and dangerous adding to the confusion/ doubt that the disease is worse than the cure economically.

Stimulus checks are a joke as are any future pittances to stabilize the economy and avoid new highs in unemployment and personal bankruptcies. Proper government action to prevent further collapse doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon - at least not in a Franklin D Roosevelt way. Depression era 20 % unemployment in my or any country was unimaginable in my lifetime as are the growing number of food lines via the middle class in cars picking up boxes of donated food.
Sad to say, the bickering between the parties cheered on by the president will continue to exacerbate the problem with the truth be damned. This by itself is IMHO as tragic as the virus and as tragic for the future of democracy.