slugs for chub

• Thread starter Daniel Whitelock
  • Start date
D

Daniel Whitelock

has anyone ever tryed using black slugs for catching chub? i have been thinking of trying it but i was wondering if anyone has any tips/techniques for them, ie where to hook them, size of hook:slug etc,
cheers, Daniel

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
There is a fine article from Richard Drayson on this site where he stalks Chub using slugs. Best way is to freeline them, matching a hook to the size of the slug,usually size 2 to 8. The bait provides the casting weight, just let the slug drift naturally with the current.

David Preston

Reaction score
Years ago slugs were a very popular bait on the Severn around Shrewsbury. They seem to have somewhat gone out of favour in recent times, but there was a report in the angling press recently of a big fish from (I think) Sydney Avenue on a slug. Hook them through the 'saddle' on the back. Some people prefer the big, jet black ones, others the ones with a yellow edge to the skirt.

Bob Cross

Reaction score
I have caught pounders on trotted slug in the Sheppey at Godney, but only one at a time.For some strange reason, they are spooked after the initial catch. An 8 or 6 is needed.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
On the Trent in winter they are used for Chub, cut into long strips (a bit messy) and just a dab of turmeric where the hook goes in. They can be frozen which toughens them up and provides a stronger scent too.

J

John McLaren

Black slugs seem to be the best in my experience- possibly they are more visible - and takes can be quite powerful and often instant. Only problem is that black slugs have become scarce in recent times - so don't use every one you find.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
pop round to my mums garden, she said you can take as many as you like.

Tom why on earth would you wanna fanny about cutting slugs up for ?

Im going to wait till Dynamite bring out their 26mm black slug and luttice flavoured elongated dumbell boilies with matching pop ups and dip.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Trev -

Do you always fish a whole worm? Or sometimes, do you fish a part of one! Slugs are no different and in a long strip they move very enticingly in the flow releasing the juices. A good sized black slug makes four good baits fished on a size 12 hook. I ve also chopped them like i do worm and fed it via a swimfeeder, that also works!

Gary Sproson

Reaction score
Im going to wait till Dynamite bring out their 26mm black slug and luttice flavoured elongated dumbell boilies with matching pop ups and dip./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.giflol