Small stream Barbel fishing

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I've got so much time on my hands today I nipped up to the tackle room for a quick pic of how compact it is - just take the tip protector off and you're fishing in a couple of minutes..............
safety%20clip_zpshlcukrrz.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pulling back as you cast to straigthen the hooklink will depend on the depth of the water and the length of the hooklink your using. Plus the OP mentioned someone catching in swims Only inches deep. I'd like to see anyone feather a lead down in the millisecond it takes to hit bottom to straighten the hooklink.

I often fish in fast water of a foot to two foot in depth, in fact that's where I do most of my fishing during the summer months if the levels allow.
I wouldn't feather it down last second, i'd just slow the whole set up as it flys thought the air (as I often do when casting my float set up) and the bait would be well in front of my weight.
Even if your set up is on the bottom it takes a couple of turns of the reel handle to straighten it out, just as people often do if they're feeder fishing to get their hookbait into the freebies.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

As I've got so much time on my hands today I nipped up to the tackle room for a quick pic of how compact it is - just take the tip protector off and you're fishing in a couple of minutes..............
safety%20clip_zpshlcukrrz.jpg

I don't use tip protectors so i'd be fishing before you :p

Reaction score
Speed fishing isn't the name of the game,one cast is all you need to achieve his goal,a barbel,multi catches don't seem likely...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

[/COLOR]

Probably not - that line you use'll give you more protection.................;)

The fish love that line and get hooked just for the honor of being wound in on it:cool:.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Speed fishing isn't the name of the game,one cast is all you need to achieve his goal,a barbel,multi catches don't seem likely...

I'm only messin', I don't panicabout having rods set up 24/7.... BB only gets outt'a bed after dinner anyhow so i'd be able to set up from scratch before he'd even got his set of teeth out of the glass next to the bed and had a shyte ;).

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep Alan, as Ian say's I only do short sessions and it saves setting up in undergrowth up to my armpits on stretches of river where the hand of man has never set foot....................;)

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I really appreciate the comments here guys, along with the discussion on methods.

You've all got far better Barbel-catching credentials than myself, so I shall take heed of everyones input.

A few quick points;

at no point will I be 'casting' - at least not in the sense that most of us understand it. No leads or tackle will be flying through the air. At best I will do a gentle underarm 'swing and plop' to get the business end in the water.

My reason for not going too long with the hooklength and putting a stop on the mainline is that I simply can't afford for the fish to run off with any free line - a 2 ft hooklength gives fishy 4 ft of run which could be game over. When I said hit and hold I really meant hit and hold.

The river averages about 6 to 8 ft wide on the stretch I'm heading for, and the vegetation often obscures up to 75% of it, so I need to feel confident I can stop 'em from getting into the snags. I'll most likely have crawled through a hole in the nettles and climbed down an 8ft high steep bank to perch on a tiny ledge, crouched under an overhanging dead tree with the leaves from the trees on the opposite bank brushing my face.

My lead will be running on a Korum Feedabead. My only concern is if I get snapped off ABOVE the stop on the mainline then I'll leave the fish dragging the full rig around. I have no experience with lead clips and the like so I think I'll ditch the bolt stop and just leave the lead running free - less risk to fishy and easier on my conscience.

I'm planning the first trip for tomorrow after work - I'll be sure to do a proper write up with pictures and would love more feedback.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey, 6 to 8ft wide, i'd use my 8ft amorphous spinning rod to fish there!

Philip

Reaction score
Blimey, 6 to 8ft wide, i'd use my 8ft amorphous spinning rod to fish there!

I did try and tell you it was small which means your long hooklength is a non starter as is pulling back the lead ;)

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

so I think I'll ditch the bolt stop and just leave the lead running free - less risk to fishy and easier on my conscience.

I'm planning the first trip for tomorrow after work - I'll be sure to do a proper write up with pictures and would love more feedback.

I think ditching the stop is probably a good idea...be very interested to hear how you do. Good luck.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at the bait for tomorrow - 1 inch lumps of luncheon meat that have been 'marinating' in a combination of Thai Fish Sauce, Garlic powder and Tabasco with a splash of Hemp Oil - it chuffin' stinks. If that doesn't attract fish I don't know what will!!

Backup bait is some Mainline Cell boilies that have been soaking up some fruity/creamy caramel type glug for about a month now.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did try and tell you it was small which means your long hooklength is a non starter as is pulling back the lead ;)

I could still do it easy enough Philip :p ;) .

Keith M

Reaction score
Sounds like your river may be very similar to an upstream stretch of river that I sometimes catch Barbel from (see pic below):

SmallStreamJungle.jpg

This is a pic of a narrow barbel stream that I and a few friends sometimes fish but unfortunately we've never seen a double in this upstream stretch, the largest Barbel we have caught from it so far is 9lb with an average size of around the 5lb mark so it doesn't sound quite as good as your river although there are low doubles sometimes caught about a mile further downstream where it widens up.

I believe that simple uncomplicated rigs are usually best and the following very simple rig is all we tend to use on these small streams and sometimes we will use as little as 4 or 5 SSG shot on a nylon link..

LinkLeger.jpg

The stop is just a single rubber gripper stop which slides up and down the mainline easily enough when adjusting the distance between hook and lead but doesn't slip inadvertently when using small half oz (or less) leads even after a prolonged fight.
But if you want to be doubley sure you can always use a second rubber stop.
NB: I say lead but I mean lead substitute.

I've never experienced tangles using this simple setup either (famous last words Lol)

I do occasionally pin my line to the deck using a bit of lead putty a foot or two behind the lead but only on days when the water is very low and particularly clear and the barbel are being a bit cagey.

Well that's what we use on our small streams/rivers anyway and it catches us plenty of Barbel on this very small stream so it might work on your one.

Keith

Last edited:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score

Thats more or less exactly what I'll be using. The only real difference is that I'll have a swivel instead of the float stop so that I can change hook links quickly if needed. Also my bait will be on a hair rather than directly on the hook.