Solid Bankside

• Thread starter Martin Scullion
  • Start date
M

Martin Scullion

Hi there I know this is a daft question but....

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to the best way to set up a couple of rods on a solid (Tarmac & Brick) bankside.

I need to know cos I will be going after some Zeds & Pike in the winter and I need to be able to get decent bite registration.

Obviously my bank sticks & drop-arms will be of no use, so maybe a pod, or other suggestions welcome.

BTW Before anyone starts on the 'beginners should not be piking', I am an experienced pike & zed angler and really just want advice on rod set up

Thanks in advance

chef

Reaction score
i used a pod all last season with micron ps's and had no problems at all not quite as versatile as sticks but still good no problems with bite detection

J

jason fisher

either a pod or them seymo tripod bank sticks would to the job.

D

Deck Monkey

Would say a pod is the way to go if you don't mind hauling the metalwork around.

L

Les Clark

Martin,can you not get one bankstick x 2 right on the edge of the bank ?
If so fish "beach style" with front buzzers, and line cliped to rod with bale arms open.

M

Martin Scullion

Les

Nope the bank is actually paved, so short of a jackhammer a bankstick won't go in anywhere :eek:))

Jason, the tripod thingy sounds good tho' any idea where I can get a peek at one ??

L

Les Clark

Martin , just had a look at the tri-pods,to me it looks like the line could /would be trapped under the rod with these ,making indication difficult, I Would go for a lightweight pod,maybe the fox ?.

L

Les Clark

Martin, look at the product reveiw,the fox x pod plus sounds about right,lightweight,sturdy and a good price.

T

The Monk

Hi there I know this is a daft question but....

you`ve come to the right site martin

believe it or not a mate of mine used to use a hilty gun to fix his bivvy up on concrete banks (which probably explains why he used to always blank for the first few week)

M

mel Crighton

You could always ask a friendly fly tipper to drop a load of soil on your peg....haha

M

Monkey Magic!

Les is right.... those tripods are for beachcasters, where the rod lays in the rest on it's "spine" with the reel and rings pointing skyward.... (i think)

Pod sounds like your best option... but i wouldn't go for the CHEAPEST you can find, the sturdier the better! (weight permitting!)

B

Big Rik

Gardner do a mini tripod at about ?10 each.
About a foot high, with a screw thread in the top, plastic legs, very lightweight.
No pic on their site though here

M

Martin Scullion

Thanks for all your help, I'll make sure to check out the tripod & Pod options, I guess I'm so used to normal lakeside banks where it's a doddle to set up a pair of bank sticks that anything else just comes as a bit of a shock to me.

J

jason fisher

that's not a seymo tripod bankstick thats a bluddi beach tripod, though i have use one on the trent to good effect when feeder fishing it's not what i meant, try bennets of sheffield they'll probably have one on their web site.
it's just a little 3 legged bank stick with standard fitting on the middle upright.
WWW.bosfish.co.uk i think for bennets

C

Chris Bishop

If it's a river you don't need rod rests - just float leger or paternoster the bait with a decent-sized float and lay the rods down on your unhooking rod, prop them on the back of your chair etc.

Stick the baitrunners on so they can't pull the rods in and bingo.

J

jason fisher

i've just read riks post properly and that's the thing i was talking about , oops!

iveadenuf

Reaction score
gardener tackle do a tripod pods are a bit limited when you get on a decent bank