Southern river Grayling Fish-in(s)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Not really. They come in handy when it's in flood but they shouldn't be needed, wellies will cope with most situations/swims

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be very cold on Thursday with a sharp north-westerly blowing. Best get the thermals on - lag your legs chaps!

Wellies aren't the best footwear for the cold, I do have some old Snowboots, but they're poor for walking in.

Do you need wellies at all?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Wading not permitted and the banks are not drastically manicured (as at other more illustrious - but less fish populated, except rainbows, chalk streams)!

Long grass and vegetation, even frosted, = wet legs. Wellies, waterproof overtrousers or similar definately required.

I may be fishing there tomorrow, I'll report!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The forecast is for some heavy snow, and i am not joking, it's going to be cold. I am off to Britford this weekend, well thats if the snow isn't to bad.

Have a good day all

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Metcheck says it's going to be a nice dry day, hovering around zero but with a 12mph wind. Humph. Could do without the wind on a pin fishing day but it should be okay.

Cliff has had to pull out as some idiot has given him a job interview, so we have one spare space. Any takers?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You might have two more.

BBC -
Colder still with widespread overnight frosts. Sunny or clear spells but also showers of rain, sleet or snow with a risk of more general wintry precipitation for a time.

Frank's not keen at all and I'm not feeling so good now, coming down with a cold maybe. Had the sniffles all today.

He's also heard that this stretch got polluted about five years ago, any truth in that?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Wuss!

Neil was supposed to fish there today - let's see how he got on. Never heard of any pollution. It's fished well for me every winter for the last 15 odd years.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
.........He's also heard that this stretch got polluted about five years ago, any truth in that?

Yes, lost quite a few fish but you will not find a finer stretch of Southern Chalkstream (day ticket or not!). It has recovered brilliantly and quickly. It used to be "easier" to get the bigger grayling but now the population is huge and ranges from ounces to a couple of pounds or more. Any sort of reasonable condition and you will catch many fine examples. Even better, that fish population is fairly evenly spread throughout the whole fishery.

Add in chub, roach and all the spotted varieties and you really do have a superb fishery. If its too easy, then get the fly rod out!

I should have been there today, but everything conspired against me. :mad:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You planning on burying someone Ray ?:eek:

No mate, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had to dig my way out. Many years ago I used to fish with a club and when we returned to the coach at the end of the match, it was buried in a snow drift.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
See you all in the morning chaps - Neil and I will be at Winchester Services about 7:15 ish for a fry-up.

Directions to the fishery are here: Lower Itchen Fishery for fly fishing - One of the finest chalk stream rivers

Beware, when using postcodes in a GPS device. Do NOT use the postcode from the correspondance address or you'll end up a very long way from the fishery!

I just checked with Google (input Gaters Mill) which told me to use SO18 3HW. That should be right, but check it yourself in case I boo-booed

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Southbound is the one you want. If you're northbound then you'll have to turn round at the next junction and come back! If you're coming down the A34 Oxford/Newbury road, don't bother with the services or you'll add a lot of miles to your journey.

It's just above freezing now and there's some cloud cover. There will be a frost in the morning but they've had it for the last few days. River should be running bright and clear so... fill your boots tomorrow.

Good luck.