Southern river Grayling Fish-in(s)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Who's never caught a grayling? Loads of you, I'll bet, because not everyone has had the chance to fish those relatively few streams where they exist. So let's have some grayling fish-ins this winter!

You won't need a chair, just a single float-rod, a landing net, tin of corn and a couple of pints of maggots; but expect to walk a mile or three in the course of the day. It's a magic fishery chasing the prettiest fish that swims and it will be nice for me to put some faces to forum names at last.

The first day is already booked for Thursday Nov 25th. It's bound to be over subscribed as it's on the usually prolific Lower Itchen Fishery, about an hour's drive south of London near Southampton. If so, I'll try for a day the following week too. We are only having 10 anglers per day max and I already have several people wanting to attend, so please get your names down now asap. Price is a discounted £20 for the day which is a bargain for such quality fishing.

The next date will probably be in mid-December and we'll have another in Jan.

If demand is high enough we can add dates and maybe even add Barton Court on the Kennet as a second venue.

I'll have a whip-around on the day for the Second Chance charity so bring a spare banknote!

Attendance so far on Thurs 25th Nov:
Positives
Geoff Maynard
Jeff Woodhouse
Frank Guttfield
Neil Depledge

Probables
Gary Cullum
Will Barnard

Possibles
Cliff Hatton

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I fish it regularly and IMO it's the finest day ticket chalk stream fishing in the south!

Had a day there yesterday and although it was a bit coloured, from recent rain, and lots of rubbish coming down, it was an excellent day.

See a brief report here:

http://bigrainbows.blogspot.com/p/in-meantime-my-other-angling-exploits.html

Scroll down the page for the report.

The images are "clickable" and will enlarge - the detail on the Grayling "head shot" and dorsal fin is quite spectacular!

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I would be a possible for a weekend one if you can get one, I love the Lower Itchen.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
For a week-end fish-in we'll need another organiser as I have to work every weekend. PM me if you can organise it!

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

So are you joining us too Neil?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
.......So are you joining us too Neil?

Probably not! But if you end up short of the required number then let me know, I might be able to sort something out.

I'm assuming with a booking of 10, the access will be to the normal lower area of the fishery? Still loads of room to wander around and marvellous trotting swims.

With larger numbers, like FM's previous end of season bashes organised by Nigel Connor, often have the upper river as well (the central beats are still off limits). That upper area is really nice.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes - we have the upper bit too (by the railway bridge). But the central bit is, as you say, off limits :(

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Too many people make for crowded fishing, that's why I want to keep it to ten.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes - we have the upper bit too (by the railway bridge). But the central bit is, as you say, off limits :(

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Too many people make for crowded fishing, that's why I want to keep it to ten.

Now I'm tempted! I'll see what I can organise....

:D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Confirmed attending Nov 25th
Skippy
Ray Roberts
Geoff Maynard
Jeff Woodhouse
Frank Guttfield
Neil Depledge
Will Barnard
Jez
Cliff Hatton

Unconfirmed (first one to confirm gets the last (tenth) place)
Gary Cullum
Neil Maidment
BarbelDave

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Geoff, if you've two places available both Jimmy and I would like to come.

Rog

Looks like a second date is required Rog. If you want to fish on a week-end, Mithrandir is prepared to organise a trip. If a week-day, which day suits you two best?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Okay chaps, cheques for 20 quid payable to Lower Itchen Fishery - and a second cheque for whatever you can spare payable to Second Chance charity.
Send it to 260 Chertsey Lane, Staines, Middx, TW18 3NF.

If nobody suggests a date for the second trip by tomorrow evening I'll pick a tues/weds/thurs at random again in Dec/Jan