Species Hunt 2007

E

EC

Last year we had 1 point per species caught.

This year how about a few changes?

Instead of it being a week how about just 1 weekend?

Maybe something like your biggest 3 fish (of different species) caught, as a percentage against the record weight.

So a carp 50% of the record would equal 50 points, together with a roach of 25% of the roach record would equal 25 points and so on?

Any other ideas?

Beecy

Reaction score
I thought it was ok as it was, would rather see it kept as a species hunt rather than a specimin hunt.

But either ban Mark W, or have seperate sea & fresh water sections

If it is over just 2 days then maybe teams of 4 would work better ?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Last year was fun. I also think it should be a "species hunt" as opposed to "specimen".

Beecy's idea of separating "sea" and "fresh" is a good one.

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
Idle gits .......... Come to the sea-side! our little businesses need your revenue, angling is angling and species are species ...... and and and ...... Guinness is good for you!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Separate freshwater & sea! I seem to recall I won both (19 & 12 respectively)! I also seem to recall that some entrants had the week off, travelled all over the place, and still didn't catch much.

The concept of banning the previous winner because you ain't good enough is a new one to me...

My biggest regret from last year is not getting sponsorship per species - worth considering for this time around?

E

EC

My thoughts about re-jigging the format were not aimed specifically at you Mark, I hope you realise that mate.

I think that refreshing the format may well appeal to a wider audience, especially those that live many miles from the sea!

Maybe a combination of the two, say 1 point per species, as well as my first suggestion for your biggest 3 fish?

Come on lets have some more ideas!

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
Can I start now ........
This week, I've had two codling, two rockling, one dab and a star-fish.

P

paul williams 2

I think you make a good point about those who live a distance from the sea!

E

EC

Thought it was spelt Sarrffend?

We 'need' a format to give everyone (except Wintle) as equal a chance as possible.

But lets face it, those stuffy barstewards in Hants/Dorset have got it nailed.

Come on..........idea/s needed?

Agreed on a whole weekend as opposed to week?

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Mark, if you are that good why are you bothered that it's re jigged a bit to give it a fresh feel? Not everyone goes sea fishing either so splitting the two makes sense, not that I intend on taking part I'm just happy with catching what I catch for my own pleasure. I don't agree Mark should be banned, but come on Mark accept the fairer rules and a little competition in the way it's meant...

E

EC

Mark has to be banned, as the bitter runner up from last year, I demand it!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I am not bothered, I am not a sea angler either. My advantage is that I have hundreds of waters at my disposal within 30 miles, and approached it last year on a planned basis. I knew which swims for which fish, sometimes only fishing a water for ten minutes if that meant I had got the fish I was after. I didn't leave Dorset in that week either.

The point I am making is that you cannot give a fair playing field. There are species that are totally absent from Dorset - ruffe and zander for example, and barbel are scarce compared to many places, but the wealth of stillwaters and rivers with a wide variety of species make it easy. In the sea all I do is apply my freshwater technique for the main part; I caught on squatts, maggots and bread as well as learning how to catch a mackerel on feathers using a carp rod.

If I hadn't sea fished last year I would have spent more time on freshwater because there were some other species that I could have caught but only two or three species without a lot of travel.

Neil travelled 80 miles last year to fish the sea, though only to groundbait it!

My suggestion to make it more interesting is that I will run it for you but not enter.
Freshwater only.
Then all species will be 1 point but I will get a secret draw done to allocate different species extra points at random so rudd might get 3 points, ruffe 4 points etc. Even I wouldn't know the secret species so no-one would know and have an advantage.

E

EC

Kin'ell Mark I was joking mate, 'run it' my arse, you've got a title to defend ffs!

Besides, I have your address, and contacts* so I am 'sure' your attempts this year will be, shall we say somewhat 'hindered'.

*not gay** contacts

**not that I am homophobic in any way, as many members will testify***

***not in that way of course

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hindered?.................HaHaHaHaHa...

A mate of mine once tried to stop me catching by bombarding my float with bricks, made no difference. Knackered the float though..

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
As I only joined this site in the last month or so I have no idea what this competition is all about, anyone care to explain it, and what does the winner get? other than to act like a smug t**t or in other words like the Chelsea team, thinking they're are unbeatable blah blah blah

P

paul williams 2

Mark, on your own admission you have a head start, location wise...and you are...again by your own admission ;) a sh*t hot angler.

Like most fine thorobreds perhaps a handicap should be put in place.......how about all your fish should be caught North of Stonehenge!?

:)))

E

EC

Macca, no smugness intended from anyone mate.

Last year we ran a species comp for charity, Mark W pi55ed it, hang on while I dig the links up.