species of fish you have not caught for years

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was much younger everyone that I met called the Ruffe a ‘Pope’. Does anyone know the origin of the name ‘Pope’ for this fish (why Pope)?

Keith

Last edited:

GT56

Reaction score
Sliver Bream for me and after much head scratching it must be over twenty years ago since I last caught one of these most attractive fish when fishing the river Trent.

Never prolific in my experience and mine were only ever a few oz and a species of fish I doubt I'll ever see again.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Blimey, the Trent was full of silver bream 30 years ago, used to book a pub stretch of the river at Long Eaton for a works 'match', you know the sort, booked a coach, breakfast, fish, then evening meal in the pub, used to catch plenty up to around 8-12ozs....

flightliner

Reaction score
In my case, almost all of the tiny species.
But a few weeks ago I was walking around my local commercial and came across my neighbour fishing the whip, it was late and had started to pack away his gear and he told me I could have 5minutes with his rod.
In two casts I had a nice Roach of some 6" and a Gudgeon.
I was dead chuffed with it has its been some ten years since my last one from the tidal Trent.
It's all about Barbel on there these days but that little gudgeon took me back to my boyhood days on a local dam.

@Clive

Reaction score
Flight's post has remided me that I haven't seen a stickleback in over 50 years. We used to fish for them in an abandoned quarry. They had little nests made out of weed and the males were vivid blue and red in the breeding season. Everybody I knew had a jam jar containing sticklebacks and an old toilet cistern with frogs and newts in it :)

We also used to sticklebacks them three at a time on treble hooks for jack pike.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The upper Lea near its source has loads of stickleback and nothing else, lower down on the fishable stretches there are some too, though none are caught, on the Ivel around Biggleswade there are plenty too, I used to find it amusing to throw the maggots off the hook into the edge and watch the stickleback make them 'dance'....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The upper Lea near its source has loads of stickleback and nothing else, lower down on the fishable stretches there are some too, though none are caught, on the Ivel around Biggleswade there are plenty too, I used to find it amusing to throw the maggots off the hook into the edge and watch the stickleback make them 'dance'....
Bloody hell, was TV late in coming to those parts, lol.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not seen a gudgeon for years, used to catch the odd one but not for a long time. I think of them as miniature barble. Maybe because that's another fish I never catch but that is geographic as well as grayling. Actually haven't caught a carp for a long time either, some in the river and have caught two in about 20 years but not for a very long time.
I don't miss the barble, used to travel for them however, in fact I would rather travel for a nice grayling session than barble these days, that would be very pleasurable but travelling very restricted now so, I am happy with a smattering of chub, roach, tench and bream these days. An odd bit of mullet fishing thrown in for the summer.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Not seen a gudgeon for years, used to catch the odd one but not for a long time. I think of them as miniature barble. Maybe because that's another fish I never catch but that is geographic as well as grayling. Actually haven't caught a carp for a long time either, some in the river and have caught two in about 20 years but not for a very long time.
I don't miss the barble, used to travel for them however, in fact I would rather travel for a nice grayling session than barble these days, that would be very pleasurable but travelling very restricted now so, I am happy with a smattering of chub, roach, tench and bream these days. An odd bit of mullet fishing thrown in for the summer.
I go on a couple of grayling trips a year if I can. They’re a bit thin on the ground around my neck of the woods too. I have to travel for them also.

mikench

Reaction score
Crucians are more scarce than previously but I have never caught a zander, Ruffe , grass carp or bullhead. I have also never caught a catfish or eel and for that I remain thankful.