Specimen float rod

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hi all not posted for a while been busy with life comitments and the like .

I'm on the hunt again for a specimen float rod mainly for tench and bigger crucians . I had the drennan series 7 tench and specimen float rod and I was not a fan of it so moved it on .

Am i thinking a 1lb avon would still be a tad too heavy ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome back Matt! What would we do without life commitments! They go on forever!

I suggest a Matchpro ultralite ! They can be had in 11', 12', and 13'! They may come in 14' as well. There is one for sale on here!

I bought a 12' version and love it! My perennial pursuit of tench is well documented on here and it remains . I have caught plenty of roach, crucians and carp to 6 lb or so. It's a lovely rod and is light in every way! A lot of people have them and I haven't heard a negative word.

Consider too the Darent Valley .75 tc spécimen rod . This is a light Avon, nice to use and cheap at £40! Again many people have bought one and like them! I did!:)

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Welcome back Matt! What would we do without life commitments! They go on forever!

I suggest a Matchpro ultralite ! They can be had in 11', 12', and 13'! They may come in 14' as well. There is one for sale on here!

I bought a 12' version and love it! My perennial pursuit of tench is well documented on here and it remains . I have caught plenty of roach, crucians and carp to 6 lb or so. It's a lovely rod and is light in every way! A lot of people have them and I haven't heard a negative word.

Consider too the Darent Valley .75 tc spécimen rod . This is a light Avon, nice to use and cheap at £40! Again many people have bought one and like them! I did!:)
I had a wiggle of those rods from tackle box at the weekend , seem nice for the cost .

I have a 1.5lb avon which yes I can use for tench but its a bit brutal on the float for crucians .

I have caught over 280 tench this summer , one session was over 30 in one night .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ha ha Mike its just fishing a venue and figuring out what method work the best ... do you ever fish bolt rigs for tench ? Or is it day fishing close in ?

mikench

Reaction score
I have actually managed a few tench this year! I think I caught around 20 on the float and a few less on a method feeder! I try all sorts!!!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
2 words ... worm kebab !

It's deadly

mikench

Reaction score
I know à donner is!!! Amplify a little Matt and I promise I'll keep your method a secret!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Go onto YouTube and Google dai dribble worm kebab . Feeders just use a heavyish blockend feeder .. I use 1.5oz

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Bearing in mind I been mainly fishing gravel pits .. looked at the match pro hmmm looks a nice rod but may be a tad light ... looking for 6lb rating when fishing with weed

John Keane

Reaction score
I had a wiggle of those rods from tackle box at the weekend , seem nice for the cost .

I have a 1.5lb avon which yes I can use for tench but its a bit brutal on the float for crucians .

I have caught over 280 tench this summer , one session was over 30 in one night .

Hi Matt, I’m the bloke selling the Matchpro Ultralight 13ft for £95. I love the rod but don’t fish the waggler much any more and want a longer rod for trotting.

mikench

Reaction score
Matt I use mine with4 5 and 6lb line( sensor) most of the time! In truth I rarely fish any heavier lines. I use a pin as well!

I no longer pay much attention to the species specified for rods or the recommended main line and hook length bs! I do regard them as a guide and would never greatly exceed them! As other far more experienced than I have said, roach, Rudd, tench and carp cannot tell one rod from another! Only you know it's strengths and capabilities! The matchpro is a super rod but you may need an Acme thick weed tench rod!:wh

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers Mike , very weedy conditions I would use 1.5lb avon rod . Il have to go have a waggle in a shop I think . I bet it's a tussle with a carp on the end ?

Reaction score
I'm afraid I would go for a dedicated power/specimen float rod,I use a normark specimen match and I would break your Drennan if I put the brakes on like I do with the specimen match,bought mine off of fleabay,it's got a fine tip,but by Christ the power comes in very quickly...

bullet

Reaction score
I would have thought a matchpro was too light for that sort of caper as well.
The acolyte carp waggler would definitely be worth a bend and may fit the bill.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You can get a 13ft matchpro float which a bit stepped up to the matchpro ultralight

Reaction score
I would have thought a matchpro was too light for that sort of caper as well.
The acolyte carp waggler would definitely be worth a bend and may fit the bill.

I agree,I'd probably break the acolyte too,in comparison to the Normark,maybe a look in several tackle shops is in order,just to compare what's out there(in the meerkats dot com)...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree,I'd probably break the acolyte too,in comparison to the Normark,maybe a look in several tackle shops is in order,just to compare what's out there(in the meerkats dot com)...

The normark avenger is my all time favourite float rod as most on here will be sick of hhearing off me lol.
Just set mine up incase I can get out tomorrow :).
The 13ft acolyte plus is very similar in power to the avenger and i've had lots of barbel with mine, funny enought i've used it for tench fishing many times also. I would say the acolyte plus rod is ideal for tench fishing