Spilt shot.

rayner

Reaction score
In smaller sizes, I use Ballabeni split shot, not the cheapest but it's best to my mind.
Dinsmore, on the other hand, is the brand in larger sizes that I use for waggler fishing. I can't say it's best to me, it is what I use. For my lines safety, I use a silicon buffer to prevent damage to my reel lines and fish the float on a twizzled line for more security. I reckon I probably over-egging the security of my lines but fishing light lines forces me to be more protective. More cautionary than fear.
Not nipping the shot correctly causes the odd loss to pinging off, especially when fish are hooked.
Do you use a better shot than Dinsmore?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've just answered my own question - this is the stuff I use:
Match Fishing Products - Preston Innovations

I assume the super soft 100% lead is only sold in countries which allow it?

Yes ,it can be used abroad, not over here, size 8 and under is legal lead over here, anything above those sizes is illegal.
Try using PI Stotz if you cant get hang of small lead shot.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I am getting fed up of lockdown , I am counting how many stotz are in my tubs, to make sure I dont get short changed next time I buy some,
Next on list is to measure my new pole elastics .

Aknib

Reaction score
I use Dinsmore and have had no reason to look further afield, I rarely use anything smaller than a no.8 though.

One thing to mention and this is a bit double sided...

Since making my own floats my mainline to hooklink gaps have increased for obvious reasons, I don't want to lose my floats and it's had no consequence on my catches whatsoever as far as I can tell.

Where fine presentation, requiring fine main lines, was ever an issue I've simply swapped to a heavier float/rig to 'proportion' things up and allow me the same presentation with a heavier main line.

If anything the only issues are pinching smaller shot onto heavier main lines where the pattern requires it and occasionally tying long hooklinks in very clear water although that offers benefits in the additional stretch when playing an unexpected lump.

But as for the shot itself, I'm happy enough with what I use, it slides easily enough without damaging the line and I'm a re-user from no.6's upwards (the smallest I can open up with a finger nail) so much of my shot has been used numerous times before and is still fine.

I used to be a fan of Thamesely (sure shot?) which came in twist and turn dispensers which dispensed one shot at a time but I've not seen it for years, is it still going?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find anchor double cut to be the best split shot by a country mile. I use it many times over until it inevitably gets lost some how.

john step

Reaction score
I had never heard of Ballabeni shot. I always try to find ZLT shot. They are kind to line. Stotz in the small sizes.

Now I will stick my neck out here and admit to being "careful". Whenever possible I re-use shot down to no.4. Am I being too careful or do others do this.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Now I will stick my neck out here and admit to being "careful". Whenever possible I re-use shot down to no.4. Am I being too careful or do others do this.

I've re-used No10 Stotz/Waterline more than once, if I can get them off easily enough. Almost always re-use No8 Stotz/Waterline. There's just the odd occasion when I can't get the 8s off easily.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You can buy a gadget that will remove shot, and also open the slot to make it easier to slide up or down the line to change shotting pattern.
Cant remember what it's called but it comes in handy.

rayner

Reaction score
Smaller shot/Stotz is not the question, I was more concerned with larger sizes for waggler fishing.
I use Dinsmore, I'm not a fan I think it's far too risky to be putting on lighter lines. Like I said, Dinsmore sort of makes me use a silicon buffer to help protect my lines. I was after a more friendly bulk shot for wagglers.
Reading the replies only Aknib and tigger read the question, thanks for the replies though.
I agree, Stotz don't seem to hang right to me Ballabeni are soft, they have a consistent split, and they hang straight. They are a fiver a shot so not the cheapest, they are to me the best.
I'm sure some will think I'm too picky, I can't help that.

Krang

Reaction score
I only ever use split shot to make a lure run a bit deeper that its supposed to. Never really occurred to me to buy anything other than the cheapest in the shop. How much difference in quality of split lead balls can there be?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anchor double cut shot are double cut, and so are removed easily and can be used over and over again. They are soft and easy to squeeze onto the line
and are easy to slide up and down without damaging it, they also fit on the line neatly. Since I started to use them years ago I wouldn't even think about buying any other shot.

nottskev

Reaction score
I only ever use split shot to make a lure run a bit deeper that its supposed to. Never really occurred to me to buy anything other than the cheapest in the shop. How much difference in quality of split lead balls can there be?

You'd be surprised. First off, ones in the size range you'd probably find any use for keeping lures down won't be lead, which illegal in sizes between 1 oz and the tiny No 8. These will be made from some lead substitute material, and some of these are rubbish, not to beat about the bush, being likely to crush the line, too hard to close and open, too light and hence unnecessarily large etc.

Even with the lead ones that are legal (0.06g and below) differences between brands are big. Some are harder than others, some badly cut eg not deep enough or not centrally, some have poor quality control...

Finding good shot is actually a lot harder than you might think since the lead ban on the most commonly used sizes