Spinning

Dominic 0002

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. Please help,can you advise me. I am looking for arod and reel for spinning a big pike thank you. Best regards.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. Please help,can you advise me. I am looking for arod and reel for spinning a big pike thank you. Best regards.
Hi Dominic
welcome to the forum.

When you say a "big pike", just how big do you mean and where would you be fishing for it?

Keith M

Reaction score
I myself use an old 10ft Shakespeare 20-50g spinning/lure rod for casting my Plugs and spinners and for using with sink & draw methods using Spratt’s and similar sized fish for Pike.

Keith

chevin4

Reaction score
It's important to match the rod to the type of lures you want to use eg if the lure is 30g you would need a rod with a similar rating. It depends on how much you want to pay for the rod but Savage Gear produce some superb rods to suit all price ranges.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some excellent advice above, you also need to consider your line, braid or mono, then your traces. Most importantly of all is to make sure you have all the necessary equipment for landing and unhooking the fish safely. Have you ever handled large pike before?

steve2

Reaction score
One thing with lure fishing you catch more small pike than large pike unless you know a water that only contains large pike.
So why do you ask for tackle for just big pike? if you have spinning tackle already you will find that it will most likely be suitable.

Keith M

Reaction score
Mark do you honestly think that anyone in their right mind would tell you (or anyone else) where they fish for 20 or 30lb Pike? Even more so if they did actually exist there :LOL:

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mark do you honestly think that anyone in their right mind would tell you (or anyone else) where they fish for 20 or 30lb Pike? Even more so if they did actually exist there :LOL:

Keith
Was only asking Keith because I have never heard of any coming out from around here,
The Thames at Sandford has done a couple of low doubles on a fly rod.
As far as I know Farmoor Res does not allow coarse fishing.
Newlands waters have some decent one in but not 30lb, and unless he is a member he will not be able to fish it.
That leaves the canal and couple of other stretches of the thames and a couple of club waters.
Any I wont expect a reply from him, He joined last saturday and has not been seen since.

David Gane

Reaction score
Absolutley on the money, Steve2. Pike over 20 lbs caught on a lure rod are rarer than hen's teeth. Much better to have some proper sport with the 99.99% of pike you catch in this country than fish with a broom handle in case you possibly one day get lucky with a really big one. And anyway, a lightweight rod will most likely cope with a monster if you do hook one. The rod I use most often is a 9ft Fox Warrior rated 10-30g (as cheap as chips) and it's handled plenty of fish in the high teens without any trouble whatsoever.

Last edited: