spiralling line

RAY TOWNLEY

Reaction score
Tried the New Korum CS rod and reel .....impressed! good size roach ...couple of crusians...5lb mirror ....lost a couple to the "weeds"
....rod superb, light and responsive.,ideal for mid 70's angler!... have a problem with reel loaded with ultra 8lb and it spiralled off the front of reel when sat in rod rests.....stripped a load of line off and no improvement... ..think the modern reels are so well balanced that hard to stop reel undoing ....line too heavy or too springy ?
Handle ? Can you fit a double handle to a Korum cs400 reel ?
Any suggestions please?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Possibly too springy/stiff or you overfilled the spool. The spool-lips on most modern reels are nicely rounded or chamfered so line comes off nicely and having the level 1-2mm below the lip is no problem. Alternatively, not knowing how you loaded the line onto the spool, it could have been very twisted?

8lb does seem a bit excessive for float fishing, especially given the fish you were getting, maybe a switch to 5 or even 4lb mainline might help?

Last edited:
C

chefster

Tried the New Korum CS rod and reel .....impressed! good size roach ...couple of crusians...5lb mirror ....lost a couple to the "weeds"
....rod superb, light and responsive.,ideal for mid 70's angler!... have a problem with reel loaded with ultra 8lb and it spiralled off the front of reel when sat in rod rests.....stripped a load of line off and no improvement... ..think the modern reels are so well balanced that hard to stop reel undoing ....line too heavy or too springy ?
Any suggestions please?

line is twisted -use a twistbuster-which is a fluted lead you tie straight onto you,re line and cast out a couple of times and reel in,this usually help sort it out.....Chef

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Shimano Stradics and they were so well balanced they spun like tops if you knocked the handles. I blew the lubricant out with an air line and put in some thicker grease, years on they are still smooth as silk but work far better. If its not line twist and you still have a problem after following Chefs advice then you may find it useful to do the same as I did.

Ray.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surely one of the biggest causes of coils of line springing off the spool is a combination of thicker, stiffer line and overfilling the spool and, quite possibly, line-lay?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Surely one of the biggest causes of coils of line springing off the spool is a combination of thicker, stiffer line and overfilling the spool and, quite possibly, line-lay?

True, but if the reel handle is knocked and the reel runs backwards then slack line can peel off the spool and any breeze makes matters worse.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True, but if the reel handle is knocked and the reel runs backwards then slack line can peel off the spool and any breeze makes matters worse.

Only a problem for backwinders Ray. Those who fish with the clutch on (majority IMO) can't do that!

nicepix

Reaction score
Only a problem for backwinders Ray. Those who fish with the clutch on (majority IMO) can't do that!

I think that you'll find that many if not most of those who back wind when playing a fish have the anti-reverse on while waiting for a bite. That way you can strike one-handed and switch the AR off during the fight if necessary ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
have a problem with reel loaded with ultra 8lb and it spiralled off the front of reel when sat in rod rests.....stripped a load of line off and no improvement... ..think the modern reels are so well balanced that hard to stop reel undoing ....line too heavy or too springy ?
Any suggestions please?

My suggestion would be that you do not use line greater than 6lb for normal waggler fishing. Most lines at 8lb will have too much memory, especially on a relatively small spool, for float fishing. When legering there's no problem, but you can't tighten up to a float in the way that you can a lead or feeder.
While a good reel may not detract from the problem, I do not believe that it's the cause of it unless you've managed to twist the line unduly during loading and with use.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've had the same problem in the past but all (or nearly all!) resolved with the use of a Gardner tackle 'Spin Doctor' which is tied direct to the reel line and, with care will solve the problem PROVIDING YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY first and follow the advice to the letter.!!

It's only my opinion but I suggest the line was not loaded correctly in the first place hence the 'coils' and as far as I'm concerned you would do better to strip the line and start again. I also suggest you have a look at previous Threads on the subject of line loading ( Jeff Woodhouse explained it very well in one previous post ) and familiarise yourself with the mechanics of why 'coils' happen in the first place.

Line 'twist' happens to some extent with fixed spool reels (such as the use of 'Baitrunner' reels etc) but the use of the Spin Doctor will help with fairly regular use.....

Also, you might want to read up on John Wilson's method of removing some of the 'stretch' from new line prior to use which works very well IMHO and tends to make the line more 'supple' if that's the right word.....

I'm sure all the above is still available on FM 'search' if you look hard enough so it's pointless for me to attempt to repeat it here. I would only say you will save yourself a great deal of hassle by getting to grips with line and it's problems and IMO give yourself hours of trouble free fishing.
Works for me...............

Of course line type comes into the equasion but that's another subject entirely !! Worth doing some homework on this as well IMO

Good luck!

Last edited: