Spool a spinning reel

Bigp3k

Reaction score
Total newbie here , my new reel Okuma jaw 30 . I'm trying to attach my line , I understand opening the bail arm , use arbor knot on the spool then close bail arm and the counter clockwise same as the spool movement but my issue is that when I close the bail arm it restricts the handle to only half a turns movement stopping me from reeling in the line.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks

mikench

Reaction score
Check the reel works before adding line and that the handle is screwed properly in position i.e. Not lying flat against the reel for transportation. Other than than I'm stumped for an explanation unless it is malfunctioning. Post a video here so we can see.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Will the handle rotate freely in the other direction? If it does then it sounds like you're trying to wind the wrong way - against the anti reverse.

Bigp3k

Reaction score
Just been fiddling with it and with the bail arm on i can rotate if I push past it but it kicks the bail arm open , is this normal or should the bail stay closed

nottskev

Reaction score
Are you sure the bail arm is closed? What you describe is actually the way things are with the bail arm open.
Can you send a pic of the reel in its "not working" position.

nottskev

Reaction score
Open

rr.jpg

Closed

rr1.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
You've got "open" and "closed" mixed up. Your reel won't spin with the bail arm open.

Have a good look at the reel. Open and close the bail arm, turn the handle and think about how it releases line to cast out, and how it winds line around the spool to reel it in.

nottskev

Reaction score
Haha seriously, is that what I've done . Embarrassing, but I did say I was a newbie lol.

Thank you everyone for your help
, ,
We've all been baffled some time by some new bit of kit.

Btw, the rod works best with the thin end forward :)

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Just one last of advice to share. I always spooled a reel with the new line in a bucket of water then I discovered for £9.99 on amazon a little spooling machine with a suction cup on it and at last I have a tangle-free line. Well worth the money.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score

Steve King

Reaction score
And here is my little spooling machine

The same thing is available from Wish from as little as £1.70!