Spooling a Level Wind Reel!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
How To Properly Apply Line to a Level Wind Conventional Reel!

I used my Fishon Spooler as a tensioner to apply constant pressure to the monofilament line spool. You don't have to do that. Having a second person helping you would help. Put a dowel through the spool & have that person slow the spools rpm's by either palming it or just use a glove. If you don't have a dowel a piece of rope will suffice.

I always place a piece of electrical tape on the spool. Then i loop the line around the tape 3x before i use a uni knot to really cinch it down. Spooling monofilament on a level wind is different from a regular conventional, baitcaster or spinner. This type of reel is good for trolling to bottom jigging. I wouldn't recommend it for shore casting due to the extra friction created by the bar.

Attachments

• Spooling a Level Wind Reel.jpg
    Spooling a Level Wind Reel.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 82

spoonminnow

Reaction score
I've always thought a baitcast reel is a level wind whereas spincast and spinning reels circular cast & retrieve reels where the line guide revolves around the spool. I always put pressure on the line when spooling it on the reel for baitcast and spincast reels and especially when reeling in small lures.