Spopper

Andy M

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a spopper (spomb that opens on bottom not on surface) that will deliver overseas? Many thanks.

Reaction score
I really don't like the idea of these,many times on the Hants Avon I found the bait dropper had to be carefully moved and certainly not lifted,as bait could and would easily be swept out of the swims in strong currents,so anything that springs open is a total disaster....

Andy M

Reaction score
Many thanks John. From their site it seems they only ship to the UK but I will send an email to the address you included and see if I get any joy.

Reaction score
Andy probably has a tactical reason for wanting one Mike,but as I said I can remember shortening the trip wire to ensure the door opened as close to the deck as possible and if the dropper lifted slightly every bit of bait disappeared out of the swim,that was anything,hemp,maggot,casters,pellet,boilies,the lot,in a minute it was gone,defeating the object of laying a bed down...

Andy M

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying John and witty and I suspect you will prove to be right. However nothing ventured nothing gained so I would like to give them a try. My current approach (in 4-6 m of heavy current) is to use a heavy feeder crammed with lightly soaked pellets. The idea being to put some scent into the water rather than feed. It does work but bites tend to be few and far between.

john step

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying John and witty and I suspect you will prove to be right. However nothing ventured nothing gained so I would like to give them a try. My current approach (in 4-6 m of heavy current) is to use a heavy feeder crammed with lightly soaked pellets. The idea being to put some scent into the water rather than feed. It does work but bites tend to be few and far between.
If you cannot source one, have you tried doubling up mesh stocking to get the bait down. I have used it with some success in the past. I used a separate rod at times as the stocking sausage was rather heavy loaded with big pellets and half boilies in the hope they would not drift too easily.
I have used smaller stocking parcels tied to a gripper lead also.

Reaction score
I think the flows on his venues are mega(ive read posts before),imo big feeders,with dry pellet(as damp ones become slightly bouyant)with fishmeal g.bait capping minimally,casting more regular than is normal for our barbel fishing is the only way...

Andy M

Reaction score
True what you say Witty re the flows and I am in some (considerable) doubt that any bait getting to the bottom would be in the spot it landed for very long. So as you say pellet stuffed 5-6oz feeders casting as often as my arms will stand it!

Keith M

Reaction score

I’ve used PVA stockings with stones in them before to get my loose feed down on the deck in fast flows (when it’s not attached to my end tackle); but if the flow is too powerful then your loose feed won’t stay in your swim very long anyway once the PVA has melted.

If you only need a scent trail then try wrapping your bait in a fishmeal paste which will slowly dissolve and send a scent trail downstream leading back up to your hookbait; I use this through the colder months when I don’t want to lay too much loose feed on the bottom in cold temperatures.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
Ah right scent! In flood conditions on the Trent I have with some success done the following.
A block end feeder with a grip lead wired to the bottom . The block end stuffed with smelly paste. Cumbersome I know but I did catch .