Sport or Pastime

steve2

Reaction score
Most probably been discussed before but found this on the net. Where does fishing fit into this. I have always called it a pastime/hobby.

When is a sport not a sport?

It has been the subject of many heated bar room discussions – what exactly makes something a sport. Does it require physical exertion, a governing body, a high level of skill and technical ability? How does an activity go from being seen as a game or a pastime to being officially classified as a sport?
The Council of Europe charter on sport uses the following definition: "Sport means all forms of physical activity, which through casual or organized participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels".
Funding bodies like Sport England look to see if a particular activity meets this definition when determining whether or not they recognize it as a sport. But that has not stopped the debate from continuing to rage.

terry m

Reaction score
Fishing is a pastime not a sport, IMV.

Although lugging my kit two miles down the river makes it feel more like an army beasting!!

B

binka

I can understand people viewing fishing as a sport at a competitive level but as I don't match fish my fishing is purely a pastime.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I can understand people viewing fishing as a sport at a competitive level but as I don't match fish my fishing is purely a pastime.

I agree. At the very top level I think match fishing could be regarded as a sport but for the vast majority of UK coarse anglers its a hobby. I make the UK distinction as I think it might be regarded slightly differently elsewhere.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In the old-fashioned sense of the word, hunting and angling are the true sports. However, the definition of sport has changed significantly over the years. I doubt fishing can be construed as a sport in the modern sense. The only possible exception being competitive match fishing. When you think about it, there's a reason that the Olympics are called games.

mikench

Reaction score
All hobbies are pastimes but not necessarily sports. I suppose match fishing with its competitive element could be a sport but the same could be said of elderly grannies crocheting asap to win an extra cup of cocoa!!

Fishing as I know it and love it is a pastime but an enjoyable one. Just setting up your chair and brolly and deciding on your tactics is enjoyable,therapeutic and passes the time; hence pastime! It's fishing not catching :rolleyes:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Gotta be a sport - after all, you not only have an opponent but one who can be very tricky at times - nature................;)

stripey

Reaction score
Angling is a sport, a very skilful sport, if snooker,darts,billiards and golf are classed as sports then angling as got to be a sport,don'forget that we are attempting to catch a wild animal, and one that the majority of time we cannot see!,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Imo angling is a hobby/pastime. I don't really know how it can be considered as a sport.
Shooting is another pastime/country pursuit, no way is it a sport. I've come to the conclusion that any form of killing a creature is not a sport!
I consider a sport to be a physical test between two or more opponents where their abilities be it strength, speed, agility etc decides who wins....angling has far too much luck involved in it no matter how good at it you think you are!

Philip

Reaction score
Match fishing is a sport. Your competing against other anglers to win something. I recon thats a sport regardless of what a dictionary might want to tell you.

General catch and release angling, you against the fish, is a hobby.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Match fishing is a sport. Your competing against other anglers to win something. I recon thats a sport regardless of what a dictionary might want to tell you.

I'd say match fishing is a competition. Lots of matches are won when the pegs are drawn regardless of the angler. It reminds me a little of doing the lottery.

Peter, your a regular match angler, what say you?

nhs service

Reaction score
Interesting question.
For me it's a pastime, but I can understand how match anglers could see it as a sport.
It's arguable that to be classed as a sport each peg would require the same number of fish in it. Thus winning depends on the greater skill, knowledge,experience and nerve. It doesn't, so not a sport
However, over the course of a season the opportunity will arrive for each angler to win having drawn a good peg. A duffer like me could easily be beaten by a decent matchman in a lesser swm.
This is because the result depends on the angler as much as the draw, and that angler will be able to do so by possessing the skill set of a top sportsman. So a sport.
It could go round and round. Like I say, interesting question

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I reckon it's a Hobby/Pastime rather than a sport.

Most sport require a modicum of skill, a degree of effort and a great deal of perspiration !!

There is of course skill and effort, but the perspiration is usually missing unless it's a hot day.

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
Even match angling at whatever level does not tick the sport box for me.

Sure, the stakes may be high, but at the end of the day it is a competition not a sport IMO.

rayner

Reaction score
Rod and line angling is a definite pastime, hobby or in some cases an occupation.
It is fiercely competitive to match anglers but is not a sport to my mind.
If our fishing is a sport then playing poker or board games are sports.
Having said that if you want to call it a sport even though I disagree you can call it what you like.

steve2

Reaction score
Some regard fishing for Marlin and those types of fishing as sport fishing because you are hooking something that can really fight back. Never tried it myself but from what I have seen they do give you a good workout.

thecrow

Reaction score
If the word competition is applied to match fishing then it could be considered a sport.

COMPETITION

the activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others

nhs service

Reaction score
I wonder. A few years back I read matches on Kinver canal.were being won by nets of gudgeon.
So if I was pegged next to one of the top whip boys I'm going to lose.
Why? Because he has practiced how skills until he is a gudgeon catching machine.
How is that different to any sportsman who has practiced their skills?