Squid for pike fishing

keora

Reaction score
I mostly use frozen smelt about 5 to 6 inches long when pike fishing with deadbaits. There seems to be a lack of smelt - and in fact most other frozen bait species - in the fishing shop I go to.

But there were plenty of frozen squid, about 4 to 6 inches long.

Has anybody tried them for pike fishing?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use them for sea fishing, my local tackle shop does two sizes, mini and larger ones. I can use them whole or cut into strips. Whether they would catch Pike I don't know but why not try them. Maybe two rods one with the squid and see how you get on. I imagine mounted on some sort of pennel trace and used like a spinner would be more productive, a pike or a perch may just instinctively lunge at one. As a dead bait, they smell a lot so could be more attractive in drawing a fish in than say a smelt which has less scent. Worth a try I would have thought especially as you say your usual dead baits are in short supply. Food is food to a hungry fish and an easy meal of squid might just work, I think they are full of amino acids as well, not sure of that one. Just googled it so there you go, what a clever species we are, we are certainly not doomed..

The result shows that squids contain non-essential amino acids, namely aspartic acid, glutamic acid, serine, glycine, alanine, and tyrosine. According to figure 3, the highest non- essential amino acid in squid is glutamic acid containing 2.07% for fresh squid, 8.61% for dried squid, and 12.13% for paper squid.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I think like most dead baits they would work for pike certainly it would be offering something different where the fish have been hammered. Since the waters I fish for pike are very weedy I find a pollen works well as it is a naturally buoyant bait so there is need to use balsa or similar materials to pop them up

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Pollan
BFE1A5C2-A71D-45CB-ADEE-7B7BFF2495BF.jpeg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I have used octopus legs, fished sink 'n draw on deep sections of a Scottish loch. The pike enjoyed them and I have caught several jacks!

Not sure if it's just the tantalising twisting action, but the fishy smell must seal the deal!

keora

Reaction score
Great, thank you for all your views, I'll try some squid. I've eaten it a few times - cut it up, fry it a few minutes, add tomatoes and garlic, cook a bit more, add chili flakes, eat it with pasta.

dave77

Reaction score
Ive had success using squid on the Tees some years back.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Can't say I've used it myself but can't see why it wouldn't register an interest. I've used Whiting quite successfully for Pike though. I think the brightness of the white squid (similar to the Whiting) could be a factor in this.

keora

Reaction score
Did you try squid for long?

When you look at them, the legs - or are they arms - look soft and pliable. Possibly with a few twitches each cast, they might attract pike. If I can’t find anything better I’ll have to buy some squid.

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
If I can’t find anything better I’ll have to buy some squid.
Why not try some lures, give the dead baiting a rest and put some mileage into walking and trying each swim for 15/20mins..

Or go to the fish counter in the local super market, I used to get all my Pike bait there, mainly Sprats and Herring.

keora

Reaction score
I’ve lure fished on many occasions. I find that by early winter lure fishing gets harder so Ikeep tackle to a minimum and just take a rod suitable for deadbaits. I managed to buy sprats in the local market recently.