stalking bugs

R

Ross Turner

Why dont you try tying some yourself or have a look through the Trout fishing magazines for the mail order fly sellers like selectafly & fastmail etc.

M

michael rouse

iv tried the internet and no luck and i dont have any fly tying equipment.

M

michael rouse

i tried there and the only bug with a green head had a tail.it was different.the bug im after had a florecent green head and a bright silver body.

J

Jon Moores

I used to do a bit of clear water stalking for rainbows and the best fly for me can be tied without any real fly tying equipment. Take a size 14 B175, put a dab of superglue on the hook, wind fine lead wire from just round the bend to the eye and then back to the start of the bend, make a head of olive tying silk and then varnish the whole fly. It also works very well fished 'blind' as a weighted buzzer.

M

michael rouse

Thanks.ill try it but it seems complicated making a head out of tying silk.What did you make or use to make the head out of?

R

Ross Turner

Michael,In stead of using tying silk to form the head,you could use floss which you can get in bright colours.Onec you have done a 3 turn whip finnish all i would do then is varnish the whole fly with Hard as Nails which you can buy in superdrug in the nail varnish dept.

I

Ian Whittaker

Michael, if youre struggling ;
use silver wire wrapped round the hook for a body and a green flourescent bead slipped over the eye for a head and as Ross says coat it all in "Hard as Nails" nail varnish.

M

michael rouse

i can get a bead but how do you slip a rock hard bead over the eye of the hook .

Ross ,what sort of floss?

I

Ian Whittaker

Thats the tricky bit Michael, if you look around craft shops you'll find many different beads- look well and you will find a suitable bead also some hooks have smaller eyes. Part of the learning curve is to seek out suitable supplies;- you can also buy beads from flytying suppliers
You could possibly slide the bead over the point of the hook and up to the eye before putting the body on.
Or use a split shot, base painted white and overpainted flouro green.

R

Ross Turner

Michael,Slide the bead over the barb is the easiest way i have found.For a good selection of tying materials go to www.fishingmegastore.com & click on the fly tying section.On this site you will find various beads & flosses that will do the job.
I hope this helps.

M

michael rouse

thanks ian.the kamasan hooks(b175) have massive eyes.i use them for carp fishing so i can fit 12 lb mono through twice for a knotless knot.

thanks alot for all the info. As soon as i get the material i will have a go.