Stanton Harcourt

A

Andy Sparks

Are any of our posters familiar with this Oxfordshire water?
I believe that it has produced some large carp in the last few seasons and also has a reasonably high stocking level?

C

Carp Angler

I know the area called that, but I didn't know there was a lake of that name.

S

Stewart Bloor

The Shimano complex is in that area, maybe that's the reference? The Mailing List had a fish-in there earlier in the year, I'm sure there is a report lurking in one of the archives somewhere.(We went to Smith's Pool). But there is a web site devoted to the set of lakes with information. I seem to remember there is also a video, which you can claim the price back against a ticket to fish. I'm sure someone will confirm all this, or otherwise, if Andy confirms this is the water(s) he refers to.

A

Andy Sparks

The venue I have in mind is not part of the Shimano fishery, though I believe it is close. It is a club water of some 12 acres. I know on the grapevine that it has produced big 30's this year. Confirmed by several independant reports...............

P

Paul Williams

Andy, is it very weedy and also known to hold decent cats?

M

mark tullett

Andy, this is probably the Newlands AC 'specimen lake'. It's down the gravel road that leads to Hunts Corner (Linear Fisheries. There is no 'Stanton Harcourt Lake'as such the nearest waters are Linears Guys Syndicate and the Linch Hill complex although all of the pits are pretty close to each other.

P

Paul Williams

Mark, could the pit Andy is talking about be Vauxaull? but Mark is right Andy there are a few pits in that area all very close together, but i don't know one that is called SH.

M

mark tullett

Yes it could be Vauxhalls, I've only fished it once probably 12 or 13 years ago for Tench. There were supposedly some big Carp there then. Cats are also present I believe. There's been a couple of cars there on most days since the season started (still observe the close season).

P

Paul Williams

There you go Andy, between us we have narrowed it down to one of a dozen lakes!!!..seriously though there are at least 6 pits in that area it could be, see if you can narrow it down with your original source, and let us know which one! i'm intrigued now!

A

Andy Sparks

OK guys, it is the Vauxhall water!!
I wasn't going to name it outright, I just wanted to see how well known it was and if anyone could confirm the stories that I have heard. And yes, I believe it does have some large Cats in it.
I appreciate the advice, especially in terms of how many lakes are in the vicinity. What are my chances of finding it first time if I do decide to travel down from Cheshire next year!!??

P

Paul Williams

It's simple mate, to find that is, the fishing may be harder thats why it's no prob to name it. I haven't fished it yet Andy but i have been told (could be a smokescreen?)that it is very weedy and not an easy water, but "easy or hard" can be different things to different people and i never let it put me off. But you will find it, it's on the road side.

M

mark tullett

Andy, it's easy to find, just get to Linear St. Johns, Manor etc. With those 2 on your right carry on along the road towards Eynsham & Stanton Harcourt. You'll pass signs to Hunts corner on your right, just over the Windrush & millstream (mill on left)and it's the pit on the right. The next pit (on the left)is Vicarage, it's a nature reserve. If you want to see how much water there is in the area get a copy of OS Explorer 180 (Oxford, Witney & Woodstock 2.5" - 1 mile), there's more blue than white on the map....even without the floods!.

M

mark tullett

Paul, sorry mate I haven't a clue....! there's always a few Comorants on there!

C

Carp Angler

Those big Oxford Yachters lakes on the way to the Newlands waters certainly look awesome.
All dependant on wether they had stock put in there or not though.
I fished a lake exclusively once.
It had never knowingly been fished before.
All I caught and all I saw was rudd, don't know how they got in there, but they weren't very big and never spotted anything else.

M

mark tullett

I don't think the sailing club waters have ever been stocked. The big water on the right as you go to Newlands belongs to the Hardwick caravan park, 'apparently' a near record Carp was hit by a water ski boat there & washed up on the bank.........like I say 'apparently'.