Starter packs-are they any good?

Rhys Smith

Reaction score
I am wanting to start fly fishing as well as course fishing. Does anyone know anything about the following packs? Which one is best? Do you have any other suggestions?

Ideal XL 9ft 6 inchs 2 Piece #7/8 Graphite Fly Rod
Ideal XL Wide Arbor 3 1/2' Graphite Reel - Disc Drag
Debut WF7/8 or DT7/8 Floating Line. Backing Inc.
price: ?37.99
or

Shakespeare Contender carbon fly rods in 9ft or 9ft 6in
Shakespeare Contender 3.5in fly reel
Shakespeare Contender WF6F (9ft) or WF7F (9ft 6in) weight forward floating fly line, backing and a dozen flies
price: ?36.99

Thanks for your help

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I assume that the ?36.00 to ?37.00 includes all the gear you mention.

I would like to see the sort of gear you get for this low price. Personally, and I mean personally, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The rods are probably awful for a start.

One of the worst things you can do when you start fly fishing is to try to learn on a cheap and nasty rod. Sure a real expert can cast with anything, but if you are a beginner you require something decent to start with.

But this does not mean going over the top.

If you look at Yorkshire Game Angling's latest catalogue you will see a set of kit which will work very well. It is item number FFish3 and consists of a 91/2 foot Viper 6/7 rod, 3 braided leader loops, 2 Viper fly reels, 2 viper fly lines, 2 spools of backing and a box with 50 flies.

All this for ?125.00

This is excellent value for money I can tell you, because none of this stuff is cheap and nasty.

This is the sort of thing you need to go for, to start fly fishing. Keep away from the very cheap stuff. It's money down the drain.

The rod itself was given top marks by Trout Fisherman in a recent test for rods under ?100.00

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh and by the way I don't work for Yorkshire Game Angling nor get any commission, even though they are located in Rotherham.

Rhys Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
Do Yorkshire Game Angling have a website?

R

Ross Turner

www.yga.yorks.com
Have you posted this thread on other forums,if so i would recomend that you have a few lessons first so you can see what type of rod suits you,which will save you alot of wasted time & expense if you get the right rod to start with.
Spend as much as you can on a Rod,Reel, & line all the others can be bought later on.
Flies,Instead of buying a selection of flies what i would do is find out what flies work at the fisheries you will be fishing & buy a few of each in different sizes & as you go from fishery to fishery your fly selection will grow.
Tight lines

D

Darren Russell

What are the best flies for stocked rainbows between january and march.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For me, I wouldn't be without the following:

Viva
Damsel Nymph
Montana Nymph
Back Pennell

Even in the depths of winter you can get midge pupa hatching on mild days. A few buzzer patterns are also worth a try.

martin close

Reaction score
Rhys

I know the type of starter pack you mean, we get them in everything from department to toy stores, they really aren't good. Try any good game fishing shop, they normally have package deals for beginners and work out to be quite good, thats where i got mine and haven't looked back since, now if i can stop catching PB tree branches and trouser seats i'll be happy.
Martin