Stick floats- Are the weights stated to cock them overstatated?

flightliner

Reaction score
I recantly (friday) fished the Trent with a stick float that had a shot rating of 8 number 4 shot that took 3 number number 4 +a number 6 and number 8 telltale shot.
Changing to another stick float that had the same weighting as the first it only took 2number 4s + the same telltale shot,in essence the shot weightings were all over the place.
I've noticed this anomaly often over the years.
Dont manufacturers bench test one then make lots more exactly the same as the first?

Aknib

Reaction score
Who's stick float was it Mick?

I've noticed a slight variation over the years which i've put down to the maker's/manufacturer's preference in dotting down but nothing along the lines which you're talking about.

Did the float bodies and length, in your opinion, relate to the shot rating as those figures are barely half the stated rating?

flightliner

Reaction score
The floats were a Brittania products (**** Clegg) with a lignum base, and a recantly purchased John Dean with the (now) ubiquitous plastic stem.
That were used in the order written.
As I said previously, I've seen the anomaly on previous occasions and was prepared to put less shot down the line than was stated on the floats body, strangely with a shouldered body stick floats seem less likely to be affected.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've often found that stick floats take less than stated eg 6 no4 takes 4 or 5, but never on the scale you mentioned Mick. That would be very annoying.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've often found that stick floats take less than stated eg 6 no4 takes 4 or 5, but never on the scale you mentioned Mick. That would be very annoying.
I've included the dropper shot in with the number fours Kev.
A number six and eight, further negating the effects of the number fours.