Stick floats on winders

ian g

Reaction score
Loop to loop , with a big loop on the main line and a smaller loop on the rig line . Means you can just drop the winder through.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I can understand pole rigs on winders, Stick floats on winders I have heard of and if I did use them I would use Ians ways of fastening them to the mainline, but I would be thinking of the loops catching in the top rings on the rod when reel in, depending on what depth you are fishing at, I prefer to make float rigs up on the bank for the small amount of time it takes.

nottskev

Reaction score
Loop to loop. You would need to be fishing pretty deep water for the looped connection to catch in the tip ring - never had the problem. One answer for deep rigs would be to reduce the line below the loop. Eg, in a 12' swim, it's likely you will only shot the lower few feet, so put that on the winder and when you set up to fish, move the float above the loops. That way you only have, say, 6' of line under the loop and no chance of fouling the rings.

lutra

Reaction score
No winders for me either. All the messing around with depth and roving I do would never see the loops in the right place long for me.
Being a bit of a lazy angler that fishies up and down the same river a lot, I often have the rod ready made up in a sleeve which means no knots needed beyond the hooklength.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Loop to loop , with a big loop on the main line and a smaller loop on the rig line . Means you can just drop the winder through.

thanks for that tried it yesterday and worked a treat, only loose a few inches from the mainline. before I was just knotting to the loop.

the reason for it is match fishing so I can set up and change rigs quickly.

Richox12

Reaction score
Stick Floats & Avons on winders = always.

Loop at each end of rig. Tie mainline to loop via half blood. Simple knot but has never failed yet.

Have never had loop/knot hit tip guide as float is ALWAYS above knot.

ian g

Reaction score
Stick Floats & Avons on winders = always.

Loop at each end of rig. Tie mainline to loop via half blood. Simple knot but has never failed yet.

Have never had loop/knot hit tip guide as float is ALWAYS above knot.

I'm not a fan of blood knots which is why I use this knot for the loops

YouTube

Richox12

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of blood knots which is why I use this knot for the loops

YouTube

The demonstrators looked a mess to me. Not even pulled up. I wonder how they'd get a qty of loops tied all exactly the same size ? It doesn't look as if you can 'slip' the knot with a needle.

I don't want another loop and another 'gap'. I use a HALF Blood because it has NEVER broken (to be fair it's not the strongest knot but it never fails so no need for stronger and my hooklength is going to break before the mainline join) and I can strip it off after use with my thumbnail very easily (no need to cut the knot etc).

ian g

Reaction score
Each to there own mate , I like to use that loop knot as it's easy to tie and strong . The You tube bit mightn't be the best but explaining how to tie a knot on a forum isn't easy .

dicky123

Reaction score
Guys, thought I'd revive this rather than starting another thread about the same thing?

I noticed on several You-tube videos that many match men put the hooking rig and shot on a thicker piece of line. So say a 3lb reel line, 4lb for the shot, and maybe float, then a 1.5lb hook-link. Its because its easier to put shot on thicker line, and it moves better, less damage. If the floats are going on winders, I feel this is a great idea!

Some on the forum mentioned they don't use winders, because of all the trouble, and do it on the bank. I've lost more number 8s shot on the bank than anything. But at home I can put 20 number 8s on if I wish, in good light, with a small pair of pliers. Now I'm using 4lb line for all the floats, stick and waggler. Worth a thought maybe?

John Keane

Reaction score
Guys, thought I'd revive this rather than starting another thread about the same thing?

I noticed on several You-tube videos that many match men put the hooking rig and shot on a thicker piece of line. So say a 3lb reel line, 4lb for the shot, and maybe float, then a 1.5lb hook-link. Its because its easier to put shot on thicker line, and it moves better, less damage. If the floats are going on winders, I feel this is a great idea!

Some on the forum mentioned they don't use winders, because of all the trouble, and do it on the bank. I've lost more number 8s shot on the bank than anything. But at home I can put 20 number 8s on if I wish, in good light, with a small pair of pliers. Now I'm using 4lb line for all the floats, stick and waggler. Worth a thought maybe?

I’ve decided to put my Waggler rigs for a shallow venue that I fish onto winders as doing it on the bankside every time is just a faff. More fishing time instead of fiddling with waggler connectors and shot.

Reaction score
Match anglers tying stick float rigs on winders to me is because most,dont have a spare minute for rigging up,after getting their platforms,poles,g.bait sorted,yet imo,unless the rig was tied up 'fresh' it isn't reliable enough for me,there should be no weeak spots,wrinkles in the line,which cant be achieved in a rig thats been used,shot being moved about creates weak areas that might be ok for five hours but not the next day and knots above my float are a definite no-no to me....

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Match anglers tying stick float rigs on winders to me is because most,don have a spare minute for rigging up,after getting their platforms,poles,g.bait sorted,yet imo,unless the rig was tied up 'fresh' it isn't reliable enough for me,there should be no weeak spots,wrinkles in the line,which cant be achieved in a rig thats been used,shot being moved about creates weak areas that might be ok for five hours but not the next day and knots above my float are a definite no-no to me....

Exactly that for me though I'm only pleasure fishing these days. I no long rig stick floats up with 20 no. 8s, only using 6 to 8 shot of whatever size does the job.

John Keane

Reaction score
Match anglers tying stick float rigs on winders to me is because most,dont have a spare minute for rigging up,after getting their platforms,poles,g.bait sorted,yet imo,unless the rig was tied up 'fresh' it isn't reliable enough for me,there should be no weeak spots,wrinkles in the line,which cant be achieved in a rig thats been used,shot being moved about creates weak areas that might be ok for five hours but not the next day and knots above my float are a definite no-no to me....

Appreciate what you mean about knots above the float but, as a fly fisherman, I am constantly having multiple knots (droppers) and loops (joints) above the business end of the rig so having a couple of loops above a float is neither here nor there.

Reaction score
On two or three pound line though,iffy at best,bit different on heavier,there is a buffer eh?
That said,thats my reason for not doing it,if others prefer winders thats thats their lookout,lol...

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Any knot above the rig is always going to be stronger than the hooklength join to rig line. So if my reel line is 0.14mm and rig line 0.16mm my hooklength is going to be below 0.14mm every time, likely 0.10mm and below.

John Keane

Reaction score
On two or three pound line though,iffy at best,bit different on heavier,there is a buffer eh?
That said,thats my reason for not doing it,if others prefer winders thats thats their lookout,lol...

Fly leaders aren’t known for being heavy except for maybe pike or bass flies. My standard leaders are 3 or 4lb for river and lake and only that heavy in case a weighted fly gets stuck in stones or weed and needs pulling free.

trotter2

Reaction score
If you use the winder method of storing running line float rigs its common to use them 2 or 3 times then start again.The idea that you can use the rig all season would be foolish. It's done as a technique to rig up fast on the day rather than a procedure that can be repeated multiple time, As always check each time you use it by giving it a good stretch equal to its line strength. After 2 to 3 times out I scrap it and start again,you have had good use out of it why risk it.

trotter2

Reaction score
I will often rig up from start in a match if I have the time to do this.But it's good to know you have a rig made up ready on a winder that can be very quickly tied on. If you break or get a tangle mid match it saves time.