Storm Esox

J

John Bailey

IMG_3804.jpg

Well, out fishing we did go! Perhaps it was foolish to negotiate country lanes the day Storm Eunice was forecast, but just post-dawn the sky looked quiet and the team went for it.

Fortunately, Ian caught this croc, and there were several other impressive back-up fish. Bond, who also had a big pike, reminded me of a long ago October session in 2002 when we fished an equally (if not more) stormy day and had extraordinary piking. That year, as the trees fell, the pike fed ever harder.

I also recall a certain January 3rd, back in the Eighties or late Seventies when a freak storm of huge violence provoked a feeding spell, this time with roach. I can’t off hand remember the weight of the best fish, but it was a big two I remember.

So, is there a thread here? Does extreme wind stir a water into life? Is it something to do with a plummeting barometer? Is it something to do with an injection of oxygen? Are relatively torpid pike simply stirred into action as the water rocks around them? Your ideas and experiences would be welcomed.

We obviously got home safely, or I wouldn’t be writing this! By dark, the worst of the wind had abated and we had fished through the eye of the storm. We took care through the day, obviously. We certainly did not stand next to trees! We lost a couple of bait buckets but they were a small price to pay for a thrilling day… in so many ways.

The post Storm Esox first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

J

John Bailey

BaileyDog.jpg

Bailey the Dog admires James Buckley’s Eunice pike

How Far Would YOU Go?​

“I’d do anything for love… but I wouldn’t do that.” Perhaps Meat Loaf really was an angler? Perhaps he was really asking how far you would go for the fish of your dreams? What wouldn’t YOU do in order to catch it? Example. It is true my piking pals and I went fishing on Storm Eunice Day, 18th February. We did that because historically we have found pike often go wild in major storms. A plummeting barometer and a spiralling wind can combine to produce shattering sessions that you do well not to miss. But should you risk a Red Weather Warning for a fish, however big?

Well, at 7.00am that day, as we debated the subject the winds in the east were moderate. The Met Office forecast that the worst of the winds would be over by 5.00pm when we would want to return home. That was travelling taken care of. By the lake, we knew it would be quite possible to keep clear of trees and other hazards, so we decided to go for it and we came to no harm. We caught fish too, good ones, in some numbers. Perhaps if Eunice had arrived in October when the trees would have been in full leaf, we might have reconsidered but seven, reasonably bright adults reckoned, in this case, the risks were justifiable.

There are so many variables in all this. How important is a fish to you? If fishing is central to your life, then you are bound to take more risks, albeit calculated ones. The fish in question surely help your decision-making? We would not have gone out in Eunice to a water full of jack pike, I can assure you. Age plays a part. Health. Your levels of positivity. Your innate senses of caution. Simply, the type of person you are.

Stupidity plays a part. In 1992, I “skippered” a four-man fishing boat on Loch Arkaig in the midst of a severe Highland storm. There were six of us on board. The boat leaked a little. The engine was dodgy. We had only one oar and no rowlocks. We weren’t wearing life jackets. We were completely, irresponsibly barmy, and could have died. I look back on the incident with nothing but shame, the fact we caught a decent ferox trout notwithstanding.

Ill fortune plays a part. In 2004, I fished in Mongolia and nearly got killed, along with Mongolian camp staff, by marauding Siberian gangsters. In that same country, in 1998, the plane I was travelling in crashed. Again, bad luck… but in both cases outweighed by the good luck of survival. I could give another score of similar close shaves, but you get the gist of it all.

I do wonder, with all due respect, if we are becoming ever more cautious as a nation. Health and Safety. Risk assessment. Accident investigation. The Covid ramifications. Increasing concerns for child safety. The media constantly peddles the list of possible hazards to a degree I am sure it did not do when I was a child. In this country, though not everywhere they would say in Afghanistan, we lead cosseted lives wherein any whiff of risk is eschewed. This might not be a bad thing, and I do not make light of the desire to be safe. I value my life highly. But I do want to live it to its fullest and taste every adventure it sends my way…

The post How Far Would YOU Go? first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

LPP

Reaction score
These things have to be done - when you've committed to a trip, you're there and wont have the option next week......to me, you have 2 choices:
Go fishing, see what happens and still be in the pub for 6 / Don't go fishing, go to the pub at noon....

There were a few tragic fatalities across the UK, but amongst a population of quite a lot...did anyone ask delivery drivers not to go out? A few, but not many. Get on with it!

john step

Reaction score
"Our mental welfare" seems to be the current craze.

John Aston

Reaction score
Health and Safety - oh for a return to those halcyon, care free days in the Sixties when over 1000 people a year didn't return home from a day's work. Risk assessments ? Common sense, a bit of pain but often very useful .

Of course the redtops love to rant and rave about egg and spoon races being stopped by over zealous officials but I don't see anything clever about being maimed or killed at work , let alone when I'm fishing .

In my old day job I've attended inquests of people who didn't come home from a day's work . It's ghastly , and if the price to avoid it is a form to read , and a policy to follow, I can live with that . If BAA had had this in place , perhaps one of their members might have survived a working party , and the club wouldn't have been fined £66,000 by the court for an egregious breach of health and safety .

Accident investigation? Better than shrugging off a serious injury or worse as 'just one of those things' . It might avoid a repeat .....