Stott / shot slipping on flouro

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I tend to switch from mono to flouro hooklengths, usually dependent on the clarity of the water, but I find that the stott that I apply as a 'tell tale' is far more prone to sliding up and down the length on flouro than it is on mono. Does anyone else find this and if so, are there certain brands that are better in this regard? I mostly use PI Reflo... TIA

wetthrough

Reaction score
Yes although I don't put shot on the hooklength any more. I use a shorter hooklength. What I did find is that you could squeeze them onto fluro quite hard without weakening the line. If they survive I test used hooklengths to breaking point and I never had one break where the shot had been - Supplex fluro.

Edit: I should that's only with lead shot 10s usually.

Last edited:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Well I slipped out for a couple of hours yesterday evening and went with a hooklength of 5" or so, using the quick change swivel as a tell tale and had a very productive session albeit predominantly skimmers / small Bream. I'd always been wary of having the swivel so close to the hook (not sure why as that's how I set up when trotting!) but it didn't appear to impact negatively at all. Thanks for the suggestion Gordon.

GT56

Reaction score
During a discussion in a tackle shop this week the conversation came round to different brands of shot and the best ways to apply them onto your line.

With a dab from a black marker pen on your line each side close to a small stott/shot would keep it in place even it if slightly squeezed was mentioned. I'd never heard of this before and although I can't imagine it's something I'll ever be doing myself, it's an idea easily tested.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
During a discussion in a tackle shop this week the conversation came round to different brands of shot and the best ways to apply them onto your line.

With a dab from a black marker pen on your line each side close to a small stott/shot would keep it in place even it if slightly squeezed was mentioned. I'd never heard of this before and although I can't imagine it's something I'll ever be doing myself, it's an idea easily tested.

I'm curious to know how this works and I worry that the ink might damage the line in some way and rough it up, which doesn't sound good, it probably doesn't but....

rayner

Reaction score
I too use marker pen on my lines when making up pole rigs. I never thought the marker pen prevented shots from slipping. If it does I have no clue, I mark my lines where the shot is to go then put the shot on after. I prefer split shot over slots, I rarely end a session fishing with my shots in the position I prefer.
One thing I do not do is use Stotz or slot shots of any type.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I use them in preference to shot for all my float fishing 8's down to 13's(though I rarely those), I understand on pole rigs having certain preferred shottings, I think however I would have a board of some sort with nails to put the hook round, for my rod and reel work there simply isn't a definite shotting pattern, only a starting point...

rayner

Reaction score
I agree Alan. I never make up pole rigs in a random fashion. I have two set rigs, one for fishing on the deck, one for shallow.
Starting points that rarely stay the same. I have always been a serial shot mover. Fish decide where the shot are placed for me.
Ballabeni shot that I use are quite hard, they hold tight to lines I thought they didn't move because they are round perhaps the hardness could be a factor.