straight or bowed

Andy M

Reaction score
With the aim of using as little lead as possible when fishing down and a bit across stream in a deep fast flow is it better to keep the line as straight to the lead as possible or let out a few yards to create a bow in the line? Fishing at 30-40 yards or thereabouts in about 15ft of water.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing fast deep water 30 to 40 yds across there'll be a hell of a lot of tow on your line!
I have my rods pointing straight up and on high rests, i'd use as low a diameter mono or better still braid and I think you'll have to have quite a bow in it especially if you want to use as little weight as possible. Without the bow in your line and if the river bed is clear the flow will just drag your weight (especially so if it's only light) and end tackle until it comes into the bank side or if the river bed is rocky or snagy until it gets snagged. The bow won't really inhibit hook ups or bite detection. Often the fish will just hook them selves against the bow in the line.

mickb

Reaction score
If your intention is to fish with as little as lead as possible then fishing with a bow is best. Even better if you can fish slightly upstream than downstream. You probably know this already so not much help. Even fishing downstream with a bow will probably give dropback bites. To be honest i always fish upstream with a bow unless its in flood then i fish downstream with the line as parallel as possible to the flow.

john step

Reaction score
As Tigger says. Also,
Is there a reason for the light a weight as possible in this deep fast flow?
Is there a way you could position yourself a little further down stream and fish a little up stream using a bow to use a lead enough to balance against the flow and fish to the dropbacks?

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I should have been a little clearer in my original post. I am fishing the Waal in Holland and when I say as little lead as possible I am talking about trying to get below 6oz rather than 7oz plus to hold within the main flow rather than getting pulled into the slacker water on the edge. This is mainly achieved by fishing right off the end of the large groins (Kribs) that are dotted along both banks of the river at regular intervals, but you still need a fair old weight to stay in the barbel zone. Fishing across or upstream is not really an option. It sounds like have some bow in the line will help. And on the idea of braid, would a shock leader of strong mono make casting such weights easier and safer (for fingers)?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like have some bow in the line will help. And on the idea of braid, would a shock leader of strong mono make casting such weights easier and safer (for fingers)?

Using 6 ounces of lead forty yards is an easy lob of a cast really so personally I wouldn't bother with a shock leader....jmo of course.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Andy.

Google old mate Ade Kiddell.

He's fished it a lot. Also probably lots of advise on his Blog. Also always happy to chat if you e mail him.

Cheers.

macko

Reaction score
I expect to get flamed for this but if the day ever came where I'd need to use 6oz leads, i'd pack up coarse fishing and go sea fishing.

ATB Macko

Andy M

Reaction score
Hi Macko, I understand the sentiment but you either fish that way or don't catch the barbel on the Waal. On the positive side even a modest 6-7lb barbel will give one hell of a fight using the current in the Waal to full advantage even with 6oz of lead and a 2lb test curve rod. Oh and I don't have to do it, there are other waters in my area which I take full advantage of where float or light feeder bring their rewards - but not barbel!

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Andy.

Google old mate Ade Kiddell.

He's fished it a lot. Also probably lots of advise on his Blog. Also always happy to chat if you e mail him.

Cheers.
Hi Graham, tried once but got no response, will try again but he seems to have stopped his blog Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Have you tried his French fishing place details Andy?

Couple of pals stayed/ fished a month ago so he's around.

Email and say I suggested you contact him.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Pm you his contact number Andy. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Doesn't let me contact you by pm. Sorry.

Philip

Reaction score
Why are you worried about using less lead ? If you will still need 6oz then your still using lots of lead so why even bother ?

Just stick on enough lead to hold in the area you want. I cant see what difference using say 6oz or 8oz really makes. Dropping an ounze or two wont add any finesse or make it any more subtle.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Interesting thread re weight. On here we have had anglers on a previous thread absolutely disbelieving about the need for such weight to hold bottom. One even said an ounce was enough for the Trent.

I have seen the Waal but not fished it. Awesome.

Andy M

Reaction score
Interesting thread re weight. On here we have had anglers on a previous thread absolutely disbelieving about the need for such weight to hold bottom. One even said an ounce was enough for the Trent.

I have seen the Waal but not fished it. Awesome.

Indeed it is John: and in response to Philip's comment the difference between 6 and 8 oz is more to do with casting rather than the finesse. Even an extra 20g makes quite a difference to the feel of the cast in my experience and 8 oz would certainly lead to crack-offs with the line I use (0.30) unless it was no more than a gentle lob. My limit is 200g; 180g will usually hold whereas 160g will not with the way I currently fish - hence my original question re loop in the line.

dicky123

Reaction score
During the low clear water on the Trent, it was possible to use a weight of 1 ounce IF you use a big bow in some parts. I mean big 20 yards of line.

All that happens is the the tips still bends, but you get a drop back bite. I first discovered this in a book by Archie Braddock. It works too.

Reaction score
Andy,why can't you fish upstream,usually a cast upstream by 5-6 yards whilst feeding a bow will require less lead,i'm glad I don't fish for barbel on your river as it is too brutal.The Trent doesn't require 6ozs everywhere and many areas are fished with 2-3ozs.

Andy M

Reaction score
Re Ade using 8oz, doesn't really surprise me and perhaps explains why he seems to catch more on the Waal than I do. Re fishing upstream I did try casting upstream with 200g on and it wasn't long before it was well downstream even with a decent amount of slack out. Next time I am on the river I will try a very long bow. I appreciate very much the advice been given but it is of course very difficult to really appreciate what the Waal is like unless you have fished it. It is a real beast at the best of times and when 3,000 to 12,000 ton barges pass by the water is churned into a maelstrom. A real challenge when I'm in the mood but not for every day!