Strange Happenings whilst fishing

R

Ron Clay

I have just finished an article on very vivid experience I had in 1997. It will be sent to Graham shortly.

How many of you have had unexplainable encounters whilst angling?

This might be the start of an interesting thread.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This could be called poetic justice, or getting a taste of your own medicine. This is what happened:

A long time ago when pictures in fishing magazines were in black and white I used to develop and print my own photographs.

On printing one picture of myself with an 11lb bream you could clearly see a hook, with a line attached, hanging from my bottom lip. There was no mistake, the hook and line were in sharp focus.

The facts were these.

The hook couldn't have been dangled over the camera lens as the picture was taken or it would have been out of focus.

Nobody else handled the film, prints, or processing equipment but me.

There was no sign of the hook inside my camera or enlarger.

The hook couldn’t have been lay on the print as it was processed or it would have come out as a shadow or silhouette. It was so clear in the picture you see the eye, the shading on the shank, and the light reflecting on the mono line.

The hook appeared to penetrate the skin of my lip and re-emerge with the barb showing.

I can tell you I definitely didn't have a hook in my lip when the picture was taken!

Other shots taken at the time had no sign of a hook in them.

I can’t with all honesty offer a rational explanation.

The most upsetting part of the tale is that the print and negative were sent to someone who was writing a book on ghost stories (after they read the story in a fishing magazine) and was never returned.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Five years ago then Chris...........

C

Chris Bishop

Hahahahahahahah - reckon it was around 1978/1979 at a guess. And as I recall the fish you were holding was a bream.

C

Carp Angler

The most startling thing I've experienced whilst fishing was seeing Paul Williams actually catch a fish.

R

Ron Clay

One of the most fascinating tales is in Tony Miles' book: Silver Season Golden memories and describes a day on the Cherwell on Aug 31st 1984. Read it you guys and comment

P

Paul Williams

Hey Rik, looks like you'll be fascinated yet again Mon/Tues!!!!!! I've been in some pretty funny places in the night (outside of angling)believe me and i am convinced the mind can and does play havoc when it's not occupied, eg waiting to catch fish!! having said that though i once fished Kyre pool at night by myself, the late John Sidley and others had said there was something about the place and that they wouldn't like to fish it alone.......i have never know such an eerie night!! i pulled the bag over my head but after a few hours i couldn't take anymore all the hairs on my body were standing up!!! i bundled all the gear into the car a went home, that place has something!! or was it the seed that had been planted by the others? either way i saw, heard, and smelt all sorts that night!!!!!!!

R

Ron Clay

OK Paul, you had an hair raising night. What did you actually see and hear? Let's hear all about it.

I have met several people in my life who have had some very strange experiences but for some strange reason they won't reveal the full details. I wonder why? Maybe they are afraid that they might be considered mad by their friends

P

Paul Williams

Ron, what i was trying to say is that although its an unpleasant place to fish it's really a state of mind that (imho)causes 99% of "strange" occurances, that said i agree there are times when no explanation is forthcoming. I can't give a personal account of anything actually happening (and i've been in some funny places at night!!) happening but i can tell a friends story albiet nothing to do with fishing.
The guy in question was then a serving soldier and he and a mucka were on Mt Everest, basicly they were nailed by the weather and were getting close to death. They new that the only chance they had was to get into a snow hole and use each other as a heat source, they managed to do this but by now were really close to death....this is when the strange thing happened....the guy began to "smell" his dead father and felt a pressence that warmed him....they obviously survived (at a cost) to tell the tale, believe me when i say that guy was not prone to bull****, Knowing this guy and hearing him tell his tale is the main reason i could never totally discount "strange" happenings.

S

Stewart Bloor

I've night fished with the likes of Wurzel,Greyhound Marsden, Carp Angler, Cooperman and Brummie Williams. Let's face it...being out all night with that lot..all the ghouls and ghosts around are no problem...

P

Philip Inzani

Ron, is that Tony Miles thing you mention the night he was sort of "terrorised" in a small copse when after Barbel? I think he also wrote about a weird experience he had in the evening pitch at Redmire. Very intriguing.
However I have to say that I have spent many nights out by all sorts of waters and I can honestly say there has been nothing that I could not rationally explain. I almost wish it would so I can join the ranks of all those that have experienced something weird!

R

Ron Clay

Yes Philip it was. Tony has also told me about his experiences in the evening pitch at Redmire. I too have spent years night fishing and have never had any strange experiences. The very strange experience I had recently took place in broad daylight. Read all about it shortly

A

Alan Cooper

I don't know about strange experiences but in my previous fishing "life" back in the 60's I spent many a night on my own fishing for carp.

I remember one very dark and humid night (no moon and cloud cover) and the lake was silent. I was the only one there. I had fallen asleep and awoke suddenly to the screech on a barn owl circling the lake. I could just about see the ghostly white shape as it circled round.And that was pretty scary.

I must have dropped off to sleep again and awaoke with a start. Down by my rods I caught sight of a big black bushy tail. Ye Gods! Did my hair stand on end -that's why I lost so much of it!

It turned out to be a bloody cat - so at least once I have been scared stiff by a pussy!

Oh yes, I did catch an 11lb carp that night. And here is a "strange bit." The hook was absolutely jammed in its mouth. I just could not move it at all and spent so long trying I started to get worried for the carp. So I cut the line, sacked the carp and resolved to remove the hook in the morning.

When I lifted the carp out - no hook! No hook, nowhere. Can fish definitely throw hooks? Oh yes lads. How it did it I will never know.

J

john conway

Several years ago I was fly fishing at night for sea trout on my local river. This generally involved getting to the main pool just as it was going dark and fishing other pools on the way back to my car, perhaps covering about one and a half to two miles of bank side. The only light I carried was a very small touch that could be held in my mouth when I wanted to change flies or unhook a fish. Several of the bank side fields carried stock and there was always plenty of crashing and banging about in the under growth by the various critters that inhabit the riverbank. At about two in the morning I decided to call it a night and make my way home and by this time I was well settled into the night mood. Whilst in a little word all of my own I climbed a small stone stile over a wall and whilst stepping off the last step I stood directly onto the back of a cow which had decided to park it's self for the night next to the stile. Now no amount of quick rational thinking kicked in, it was for me the end of the world and the beast of all my worst nightmares had just got me. Yes I did feel a bit of a "****-head" afterwards but it's the nearest I've been to the brown pant syndrome.

S

Steve Baker

for me the worst scare i had whilst i was fishing was creeping across a farmers field (shortcut) with all my gear, and suddenly a two ******* pheasents flew up about a foot in front of me, glad i was on my own as a squeal from from some one who is 6'4" is not a good site....

A

Andy Davis

Last time I was night fishing/blanking on the river a rat or something ran across my legs as I was sitting there staring at the rod, it was pitch blank, and very quiet....it scared the **** out of me!

N

Neil Wayte

Five or six years ago I was fishing Cobbets lake at Send and had been fishing the same peg for a couple of nights.I was working up there and rather than drive backwards and forwards every day I fished at night and then went to work in the morning.Around two in the morning I was woken by the sound of the fence behind me shaking like in the wind and the next thing I know i can feel something on my chest pushing me down on to the bed chair.I was trying to get up to see what was going on with the fence but could not move,iwas awake with my eyes open but there was nothing to be seen but I could not sit up.All of a sudden it was gone and I could move again.Which I did straight to the van.I collected my gear in the morning as I went to work.I've never fished that swim again after dark.Others who fish the lake have also had strange occurances in the same swim.

C

Carp Angler

Easily explained Neil.
You couldn't get up because of the brandy
and you couldn't see because of that bloody great big beard.

N

Neil Wayte

Not many things scare me Rik(the wife with credit card inhand being the exception)but that was something I'd rather not happen again.