Strange shortage.

Reaction score
I have been using a Drennan insert waggler tip as a float(rather than use a swan vesta like Rob),on Thursday afternoon I popped down the river and fished a swim where this tip wasn't bouyant enough,I looked through my box and found a tip from a Drennan big bodied loaded waggler that had a bulbous(almost windbeater like)crystal insert,which worked perfectly,taking 3 no.4's and 2 no.8's,on my last cast(my second one,lol)I hooked a chublet about a pound which leapt clear of the water and into a big clump of rushes,this lead to me cutting through the silicon float adaptor and losing said tip,here is the crux,Drennan sell packs of tips,the ones I want,in packs of 6,3 straight tips,3 bulbous ones of differing lengths for around £3,problem being,nobody has any in stock,ive looked online on many tackle shops,fleabay plus others,nothing,why,a shortage of postmen perhaps....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have been using a Drennan insert waggler tip as a float(rather than use a swan vesta like Rob),on Thursday afternoon I popped down the river and fished a swim where this tip wasn't bouyant enough,I looked through my box and found a tip from a Drennan big bodied loaded waggler that had a bulbous(almost windbeater like)crystal insert,which worked perfectly,taking 3 no.4's and 2 no.8's,on my last cast(my second one,lol)I hooked a chublet about a pound which leapt clear of the water and into a big clump of rushes,this lead to me cutting through the silicon float adaptor and losing said tip,here is the crux,Drennan sell packs of tips,the ones I want,in packs of 6,3 straight tips,3 bulbous ones of differing lengths for around £3,problem being,nobody has any in stock,ive looked online on many tackle shops,fleabay plus others,nothing,why,a shortage of postmen perhaps....
I have used those when margin fishing, cheaper to lose one of those than have a float butchered in the reeds.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Next time I am in Ace Tackle in Kidlington I will see if he has any in.
I am sure I saw some on my last visit there,
If he has I will get some and post them to you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that it has more to do with the relatively recent introduction of the Hi-Viz Tips. I've seen these in quite a few tackle shops and they are all over ebay. The Combo Tips are a bit different. I've rarely seen them in the tackle shops and not at all for at least a couple of years. There's one German seller with them on ebay. I'd like a smattering of black inserts, but I've not seen them in years. Sadly, I suspect that the stuff both you and I want simply don't sell enough.

Reaction score
Its not the colour that was the issue Chris,getting any of them is...lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Its not the colour that was the issue Chris,getting any of them is...lol.
I understood that. However, I use Combo Missiles a fair bit and they come with three tips. The tip I tend to use most is the driftbeater style ones. However, I'd like some black ones. I don't like using paints or marker pens to do it. I have used black silicone on straight tips, but that's not possible on the driftbeater bulbs.

If all else fails, you could buy a Combo Missile or two. The downside is that they aren't cheap and they aren't particularly easy to get hold of either.

Reaction score
That is where I got the tip off of Chris,to be honest I think a little(30mm or so)length of fat peacock quill would probably do a better job,wouldnt take long to knock up half a dozen...

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I understood that. However, I use Combo Missiles a fair bit and they come with three tips. The tip I tend to use most is the driftbeater style ones. However, I'd like some black ones. I don't like using paints or marker pens to do it. I have used black silicone on straight tips, but that's not possible on the driftbeater bulbs.

If all else fails, you could buy a Combo Missile or two. The downside is that they aren't cheap and they aren't particularly easy to get hold of either.
"The tip I tend to use most is the driftbeater style ones. However, I'd like some black ones. I don't like using paints or marker pens to do it. I have used black silicone on straight tips, but that's not possible on the driftbeater bulbs".

Could you not cover it with a piece of electrical heat shrink tube and steam it over a kettle? ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Could you not cover it with a piece of electrical heat shrink tube and steam it over a kettle? ?

Much like painting and marker penning, I'd much rather not.

Philip

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what sizes you mean but something I have used in the past as a replacement insert for floats have been spent glow lites...the sort you snap and shake for night fishing. They come in various sizes and will fit many of the Drennan type floats and some others.

Not sure if there are any as big/bulbous as a driftbeater top but there lots in the small and middle sizes. Obviously you would need to colour them with a marker pen.