Supplex Fluorocarbon

wetthrough

Reaction score
This is just a heads up for anyone that uses Supplex Fluorocarbon and the remote possibility that Drennan might see it. I recently got some 2lb 0.12mm or that's what it's supposed to be. It actually measures 0.105, a long way from 0.12 and in fact 0.105 is the size the 1.7lb should be. There has to be some tolerance and my measuring stick is only good to +-0.002 but that's still a long way off even at worst case. I'm taking it back to AD this morning. Wonder what they'll say!

wetthrough

Reaction score
They didn't say anything. Not while I was in the shop anyway! Weren't interested in why I was returning it.

Richox12

Reaction score
So only 2 possibilities then. One that they've spooled up the wrong size of line or the other is that your micrometer's way out - which I assume is not the case. IME Fluorocarbon is usually more accurate than nylon

wetthrough

Reaction score
Generally I'd agree with you, nylon vs FC but I have had the 3.3lb between 0.154 and 0.139. Can't see them getting it on the wrong spool really. Just poor quality control more than likely.

Keith M

Reaction score
It sounds like they have a sub-standard quality control process to me.

Just a thought; (as you’ve measured it between 0.154mm and 0.139mm) is it at all possible that Flourocarbon line could expand or contract in different temperatures? or would the changes in thicknesses in different temperatures not be noticeable at all on a micrometer?

Keith

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Now you're askin'. No idea. Partly because 'fluorocarbon' is a bit vague. Plenty of data available on Nylons but unless we know the specifics on the FC there's nothing to compare it with. That said I'm measuring it at room temperature which should render any temperature effect negligible.

Richox12

Reaction score
Fluorocarbon doesn't absorb like nylon so it hasn't swelled up after being spooled.

They've simply wound 0.12mm line onto spools for 0.105mm line.

I suspect that AD won't do anything. If you tell Drennan they'll check.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect AD to do anything either. The only way to contact Drennan is through their media presence none of which I do so this will have to do.

rayner

Reaction score
Though I buy lines by diameter, plus using them in the same way I can't say I take too much notice of if the line diameters are correct.
For instance, I tye on a diameter of .10, if I get bites I stay with it, if I get no interest from the fish first move would be to change hook size, then shotting gets attention.
I only change lines if problems like snapping or kinking occur. I don't use Drennan lines or hooks so can't comment on them, I do find lines in the same diameter are much the same, as the hooks in similar patterns. They certainly are no differences in the one I use, perhaps the wire gauge or line colours.
On the whole, we use what we are happy with. If Drennan quality is not up to your standard give them the bums rush.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Line diameter is not one of my obsessions. However, I do use Supplex Fluorocarbon a lot, but purely for hooklinks. Without ever getting a micrometer to it, I've had no problems at all. However, I do tend to avoid using it sub 2lb. I find it far too difficult to tie successfully in the lower breaking strains/diameters. If I ever feel the need for light hooklinks, which is very unusual for me, I'll revert to Reflo mono.

I do wonder if what the OP has experienced is down to a spool/batch mislabelling rather than anything consistently wrong in production. Having used the stuff for years now, and having complete faith in it, it would take a great deal more to put me off. However, that probably wouldn't be the case if I were in the initial stages of trying it out. Such are the small margins that can make or break an individuals impression of terminal tackle. It's the prime reason that there are so many different types of line and hooks. It's also why we all have our own preferences and pet hates.

wetthrough

Reaction score
@rayner If it's the size it's supposed to be, it's generally fairly close, it does what I want and I know how much pressure I can put on it. I've tried other FCs and I've not been impressed. The choice is fairly limited. Nevertheless - if we accept shoddy goods that's what we'll get in the future, they need to know.

@sam vimes Curious to know what it is about Supplex FC that makes tying small diameters difficult? I use a snell on the hook if using spades and half blood (no tuck) on swivels and eyed hooks. Works fine for me. I can consistently get 1.8lb test from the 2lb (when it's the right diameter!) and 2.8lb from the 3.3lb. I don't use the Matchman type hook tyer but that's partly my lack of confidence in the results I get. Although I have a suspicion that FC doesn't like sharp turns which is how the matchman anchors. It's almost a loop against loop.

edit: I should add that I've tied tried and tested lower diameters than 2lb in the past and got equivalent results. It was some time ago and not diameters I've found a need for so can't quote numbers.

Whether it's down to spool mislabeling or not they clearly didn't check it when it arrived at their facility. It's highly unlikely that it's just one spool given the quantities a single run turns out.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
@rayner If it's the size it's supposed to be, it's generally fairly close, it does what I want and I know how much pressure I can put on it. I've tried other FCs and I've not been impressed. The choice is fairly limited. Nevertheless - if we accept shoddy goods that's what we'll get in the future, they need to know.
Of course, you need lines to perform how you expect. I'm really not so anal with my lines, one thing I can say I do not overdo the amount of pressure I put on any fish. In fishing commercials I go against the grain, I prefer light lines with small hooks with maggot or caster I have fished pellet, it is just not my choice to go down the pellet route.
I steer away from fluoro lines, they are too much trouble for me to form knots comfortably that gives me confidence.
The only knots I can handle are made with the help of my matchmen hook tie. Not my favourite for tying hooks, it's just the knot I can manage.
Like I said if the line is not right drop it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
@sam vimes Curious to know what it is about Supplex FC that makes tying small diameters difficult? I use a snell on the hook if using spades and half blood (no tuck) on swivels and eyed hooks. Works fine for me. I can consistently get 1.8lb test from the 2lb (when it's the right diameter!) and 2.8lb from the 3.3lb. I don't use the Matchman type hook tyer but that's partly my lack of confidence in the results I get. Although I have a suspicion that FC doesn't like sharp turns which is how the matchman anchors. It's almost a loop against loop.
I can only guess but suspect that it comes down to friction (and therefore heat) induced by a constriction knot (spade hook tied with Drennan tier). This must be more of a problem in the lower diameters. I've no idea how it might perform with any knots beyond the spade whipping and a figure eight knot, that's all I use.