Swing / Quiver tips

GrayG70

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have an old Shakespeare rod from the mid 90s with a screw thread attachment for a swing, quiver tip.
I just wondered if anyone can tell me, are they all 1 universal thread size?, i looked on ebay for tips but none of them said anything about the thread size so before i buy some i thought id ask the question on here.

nottskev

Reaction score
They've been superseded by push in/put over/built in tips this century, but swing and quiver tips/ threaded tip rings were always a standard size, so you should be safe.

As an alternative, home-made put-over connections can be made for any kind of tip - swing, spring or quiver - using short pieces of carbon tube offcuts from discarded thin pole sections. I have a couple of rods with "blank" tips and a range of home-made tips that push on. It's definitely a lighter and less clunky affair than threaded rings and metal screw spigots, but probably only for people who enjoy a bit of tackle diy.

GrayG70

Reaction score
They've been superseded by push in/put over/built in tips this century, but swing and quiver tips/ threaded tip rings were always a standard size, so you should be safe.

As an alternative, home-made put-over connections can be made for any kind of tip - swing, spring or quiver - using short pieces of carbon tube offcuts from discarded thin pole sections. I have a couple of rods with "blank" tips and a range of home-made tips that push on. It's definitely a lighter and less clunky affair than threaded rings and metal screw spigots, but probably only for people who enjoy a bit of tackle diy.
Thanks, found them on ebay, loads are screw in but i see what you mean with the rubber attachment on the screw bits to push in any old tip.

nottskev

Reaction score
There's no point if an off-the-peg rod does what you want, but before I moved down here two of my favourite kinds of fishing were after roach and bream on the Weaver and chub on a couple of little rivers. I wanted either short, soft rods or light wands of a sort you couldn't really buy, so I made my own. Tips with push-over sleeves, like on TriCast tip rods, are the only feasible diy way.

The end of the top sections look like this. The top one is from a rod I made on a TriCast fly blank. 10'. with two tops. A float top and a slightly shortened one to take a quiver tip. It's for chub on little rivers. The one below is an 8' 6" bitsa from a cheap composite leger rod and a float rod handle and has a sweet, soft action like a Sigma Wand. I fill the hollow tips with glue so they won't crush, and paint with PTFE so they won't grind.

tps.jpg

The tips all have push-over sleeves made from pole tip cut-offs. It's a bit fiddly to get the taper right for your rod end, and then you have to glue in your cannibalised quiver tip against the taper. But when you get it right-ish, it works better than clunky threaded rings and metal connectors. Plus - you made it yourself, and that's worth something.

Tps1.jpg

These rods have a couple of springtips (on stills/canals up to 15m you'll hit twice as many bites as on a quivertip) and a bunch of quivertips, and there are some angled rubber swingtips that I couldn't find when I took the pic.

Tps2.jpg

This stuff feels like it belongs to a previous fishing life, where 40 or 50 bites and an assortment of fish for 10lb meant you'd fished well. These days, the 10lb is likely to be one barbel or carp. I do miss the Weaver, even though I've got the Trent 5 mins away, and these miniature rods,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There's no point if an off-the-peg rod does what you want, but before I moved down here two of my favourite kinds of fishing were after roach and bream on the Weaver and chub on a couple of little rivers. I wanted either short, soft rods or light wands of a sort you couldn't really buy, so I made my own. Tips with push-over sleeves, like on TriCast tip rods, are the only feasible diy way.

The end of the top sections look like this. The top one is from a rod I made on a TriCast fly blank. 10'. with two tops. A float top and a slightly shortened one to take a quiver tip. It's for chub on little rivers. The one below is an 8' 6" bitsa from a cheap composite leger rod and a float rod handle and has a sweet, soft action like a Sigma Wand. I fill the hollow tips with glue so they won't crush, and paint with PTFE so they won't grind.

View attachment 23611

The tips all have push-over sleeves made from pole tip cut-offs. It's a bit fiddly to get the taper right for your rod end, and then you have to glue in your cannibalised quiver tip against the taper. But when you get it right-ish, it works better than clunky threaded rings and metal connectors. Plus - you made it yourself, and that's worth something.

View attachment 23613

These rods have a couple of springtips (on stills/canals up to 15m you'll hit twice as many bites as on a quivertip) and a bunch of quivertips, and there are some angled rubber swingtips that I couldn't find when I took the pic.

View attachment 23615

This stuff feels like it belongs to a previous fishing life, where 40 or 50 bites and an assortment of fish for 10lb meant you'd fished well. These days, the 10lb is likely to be one barbel or carp. I do miss the Weaver, even though I've got the Trent 5 mins away, and these miniature rods,
The weaver is more or less feast or famine to what it used to be , Depending on what section you go on .Northwich now do day tickets for it .

nottskev

Reaction score
The weaver is more or less feast or famine to what it used to be , Depending on what section you go on .Northwich now do day tickets for it .

You always needed to know where to go at any given time. You could use every method in the book within 10 mins of the town centre. With the Dane or the T&M as options too. Just checked summer's match results - same as ever 12- 30lb. Pleasure fishing was always better and many great areas off the matched lengths in the backwaters, lock and weir cuttings. Too far to drive for a day, sadly.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You always needed to know where to go at any given time. You could use every method in the book within 10 mins of the town centre. With the Dane or the T&M as options too. Just checked summer's match results - same as ever 12- 30lb. Pleasure fishing was always better and many great areas off the matched lengths in the backwaters, lock and weir cuttings. Too far to drive for a day, sadly.
The stretch near the memorial hall was always good ,along with Hartford meadows and Red Lion stretch .
We used to have some good days near the Anderson boat lift . But sadly that stretch seems to have deteriorated. The canal behind was good , I nearly bought one of the cottages on the canal bank .
I always rated the Byley Bridge stretch of the Dane.
The River Mersey in Warrington is fishing well . I think the match record is around 70lb.Plus carp to 25,lb plus in there . There is even a salmon ladder at Woolston . Considering how bad pollution wise it was years ago, I remember huge swathes of foam going over the weir at Latchford . We used to go on the small island there and get bloodworm , there was also tubifex around there , but it was easier to buy that from the pet shop.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I rarely went on the match lengths, outside of the odd match. I used to like all the unusual feature pegs that were never matched. The running section below the weir at Lock St, the big basin at the Dane confluence, the deep pegs right below the swing bridge in Northwich centre, the backwaters below the locks at Castle, the old river course above Vale Royal. The furthest down I ever fished would be Salterforth, but I used to look down off the M56 at the bottom end of the river near Frodsham and wonder if one day it would be fishable/fished like the lengths above.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I rarely went on the match lengths, outside of the odd match. I used to like all the unusual feature pegs that were never matched. The running section below the weir at Lock St, the big basin at the Dane confluence, the deep pegs right below the swing bridge in Northwich centre, the backwaters below the locks at Castle, the old river course above Vale Royal. The furthest down I ever fished would be Salterforth, but I used to look down off the M56 at the bottom end of the river near Frodsham and wonder if one day it would be fishable/fished like the lengths above.
It's fishable ,WAA have a stretch , plenty of silvers , but also the chance of feral youths knocking about .
I had a look at the WAA stretch last month. Scorched parts of the ground were fired had been , a few empty beer tins and nitros cannisters for putting in balloons for inhaling what is known as Hippy Crack .
Not a place to fish on your own .

The back of John Dean college around the locks was a good stretch as well . Had a good depth to it .

The bad one

Reaction score
To the original question S/tip were always a standard thread. Made blood hundreds down the years. Always liked S/tipping for roach on the resers up in them there hills.
BTW the Weaver has some very good perch in it these days if you know where to look for them.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have had some decent carp on the swingtip from the gravel pits I fish .
I seem to hit more bites using it than using a feeder rod with push in quiver tips,even using the lightest tip I can get away with .
My main " go to" swing tip on the pits is around 12" long. On some pegs I can set it just touching the water's surface. I would use a target board but the water is to deep to put a bank stick in with one on. And to awkward to set one up on the bank .
My go to one for canals is years old . It has the threaded end same as all my tips , but instead of a soft piece of hollow rubber,it has a piece of 6" nylon from threaded end of the tip to the actual tip .
It is very sensitive, a Gudgeon would probably make it rise to horizontal position .
I have noticed you get funny looks when using them especially from younger anglers and those who have heard of them but never seen them .
The older anglers on the pits still use them .In fact one bloke said to me that it brought back memories of when he used to use them and that he was going to start again . Next time I saw him ,he was swingtipping ,

nottskev

Reaction score
Nice to hear about a bit of swingtipping. Takes a bit more casting skill, but a pleasure when it fits the bill. I'm surprised you find it good for carp in particular - of all fish, save barbel maybe, carp seem inclined on leger/feeder to hook themselves so that anglers often worry more about their rod being pulled in than about identifying bites. I guess you're not using method feeders or self-hooking set ups when a swing tip would be entirely redundant. It's a nice indicator to watch, providing it's not too windy.

The bad one

Reaction score
My go to one for canals is years old . It has the threaded end same as all my tips , but instead of a soft piece of hollow rubber,it has a piece of 6" nylon from threaded end of the tip to the actual tip .
It is very sensitive, a Gudgeon would probably make it rise to horizontal position .
Mark those tips were know and made by Ernie Stamford. I think I still have one somewhere in all the tackle I've accumulated over the years. Back in the day when I fished a few local club matches we would go twice a year on the Witham for the bream at Tattersall Bridge and Dog Dyke the 'Ernie' was the tip to have.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Mark those tips were know and made by Ernie Stamford. I think I still have one somewhere in all the tackle I've accumulated over the years. Back in the day when I fished a few local club matches we would go twice a year on the Witham for the bream at Tattersall Bridge and Dog Dyke the 'Ernie' was the tip to have.
Thanks for the info, when I first got it ,I had to adapt my casting compared to the hollow rubber type of connection. It's a brilliant sensitive swing tip, ideal for canals, I used it on the weaver a couple of times as well. I tried it on Jumbles Res, but I found I had to cast longer to get the better fish , so out came a screw in quiver tip on another rod .
Thinking of Jumbles ,it must have been about 45+ years ago. I still have the Ernie but the quiver tip went by the wayside.