Tackle Tweaks

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sounds like a candidate for the girlie hair band :eek:, looped through itself round the rod handle, then round the handle of the reel to hold it up. If not long enough to reach, two can be daisy-chained together...
Send an embarassing photo to the manufacturers and see if they'll pack it with super-heavy grease for him to slow it up a bit?
Actually, those fat hair-bands are good for dozens of things - holding packets of hooks etc. together, retaining line on spools, bundling floats, disgorgers, tools and so on.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Except these have a fluffy coat so you can actually get hold of them.
Ever tried to get a grip on a rubber band on a small spool of leader line?
Forgot to mention they're the bizz for reel spools. Every few years I buy a big box of assorted sizes. There are cheaper ways to get them, but you could end up on a register. This way I only get embarassed every few years.
That reminds me, I need some tight to cut up to keep the crayfish off my baits...

Frank Elson

Reaction score
tie a knot in one end of an elastic band and you end up with a tag/handle to help remove it from a reel spool.
It's worked for me for 51 years...although I've had to replace the 'lacky band once or thrice...

...oh, and I don't need to buy them these days, postmen throw them to the ground on street corners.

flightliner

Reaction score
...oh, and I don't need to buy them these days, postmen throw them to the ground on street corners.
Frank, I thought it was only Yorkshiremen who did that sort of thing!
So it was you Lankies that put the rumour around? War of the roses, round two coming up (lol).

Frank Elson

Reaction score
I only live in Lancashire now. I was born and bred in North Staffordshire. I like Quality Street so I don't really care which rose won the war.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You can indeed knot a loop in, but they still aren't as good as fluffy hair bands, because the latter spread out more so the line can't escape round the side of it. It always does this with a straight laccy, it'll wait for years for the chance to garotte you as you swing your box over your shoulder!

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Well it's waited for 51 years for the chance to garotte me...and with the state of my ****y ticker it'd better hurry up or it will have missed its chance.
... or does the fact that I don't have a box, but a carryall, mean I am safe?