Talkin Tarn

rayner

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on fish in Talkin Tarn Brampton? I do know it's a glacial lake.
My daughter and her husband have bought a house at Brampton near Carlise and she has informed me there is fishing on the doorstep.
I don't envisage being there too often but it could fill time occasionally when there? I have noticed a few stagings to fish from her photographs, there is not any information as such it just says fishing is available.

The Runner

Reaction score
Long long time (45 years...) since I fished it but when I did it was all perch and pike. Plenty of them though and I would guess that like a lot of other lakes in Cumbria escaped livebaits might have made the fish population a bit more varied by now, even if it hasn't been stocked.
Beautiful place in a lovely part of the country.
Sadly the Hare & Hounds in Talkin village is no more. Used to be a cracking little pub (this information is rather more up to date than that on the fishing)

liphook

Reaction score
I've never fished it but a pal of mine had a near 7lb brown trout on a float fished deadbait. Best known for pike and perch but as Runner mentions could contain almost anything these days. Bonnie spot!

rayner

Reaction score
I certainly can't fish for pike, I'm nowhere near dextrous enough to unhook a pike without putting the pike at risk.
Perch would be of interest but would prefer roach & bream. Not trout, they don't interest me, not even for eating.
A little more information would be required, I'll have to get busy.

rayner

Reaction score
I can't find anything suggesting there is any roach in Talkin Tarn, there was talk on one forum regarding big eels. Not my thing. Pike that we know of, not my thing.
Perch are estimated to go to around 4lb. Maybe worth with a look, trouble being I will only be up there in summer. I know fishing does not open until March, I don't know when it closes.

The Tarn closes on March 15th reopens on June 15th. In line with our rivers season.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
There's Killington Lake Kirby Lonsdale that has a good head of roach, perch and bream along with brown trout. I understand it's worth a summer's afternoon and evening there for some good sport. Also many of the big Lakes have coarse fishing available.

rayner

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The thing is I am only to fish Talkin Tarn when I visit my daughter who has bought a new house in Brampton Carlisle. It's a new build that is not quite finished, after the move and they are settled I'll be up there for perhaps week-long stays.
I will stay local and Talkin Tarn is on her doorstep.

The bad one

Reaction score
OK Rayner but the area is so special I think you'll find yourself wandering both the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales (my favourites) for the sightseeing alone. Some great drive outs in the area. And much of the locally made food is to die for! Hawes and the Wensleydale Creamery has to paid a visit. The town is like going back a 70-100 years with its shops. market hall, Men's outfitters, ice cream vans.

rayner

Reaction score
Nope not my idea of fun, I will certainly not be wondering anywhere in my sad state. It does nothing for me to say walking is out of my remit.
If It is all the same to you I will leave it there.