Telescopic Rods

GrayG70

Reaction score
Hi All.
Im looking for a telescopic rod, qood quality thats capable of handling Pike. Most seem to be just standard telescopic Spinning rods, do have one and its took a pike of 14lb with no real trouble, was a great fight on it, but i wondered if there actually was any designed purely as a predator rod and a bit more solid. TIA.

john step

Reaction score
I have my doubts. However......
Most telescopic rods are short and not really for dare I say serious fishing.
I actually do have a 2.5TC "Andy Little" carp rod which is getting old now and is a boon whilst away on holidays .
You may be lucky to find one second hand.

If the desire for a telescopic rod is due to packability and short length may I suggest you go to NGT Tackle Direct website and look at their 11foot Dynamic 4 piece 2,75 tc carp rods. Very reasonable price and an excellent rod regardless of the low cost.
I have had 3 for a few years now for smaller water carping and they are more than adequate for pike.
They fold to 4 sections and are probably your best bet.
I have attached a photo from their web site.
your beauty is

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Is this to bait fish with, or as a dedicated lure pike rod? I'm not a huge fan of telescopic rods; if compactness is what you're looking for I'd go with travel style rods as @john step suggested. There are a few options out there. What sort of length are you looking for?

mikench

Reaction score
Shakespeare do a few 5 piece 11’ travel rods in à cordura tube and they are excellent for their intended purpose of beach casting. I have a bass rod which I’m sure would handle a pike. I don’t lure fish with them as they are not designed for that. Savage gear do dedicated lure rods which pack down small and again come in a quality case.

GrayG70

Reaction score
Is this to bait fish with, or as a dedicated lure pike rod? I'm not a huge fan of telescopic rods; if compactness is what you're looking for I'd go with travel style rods as @john step suggested. There are a few options out there. What sort of length are you looking for?
Between 7 to 11 ft

GrayG70

Reaction score
Ok i must elaborate, its for my female friend, for lure fishing. She is the only person ive ever met who fishes from a paddle board, yes paddle board lol, and shes extremely good at it, from a quarry to a major Loch like Loch Ken she has caught plenty of pike, the biggest was on Lochmaben, just shy of 14lb on her amazon purchased cheap telescopic spinning rod. I know i know, i can hear what you are all thinking, obviously she not lure fishing from it looking to catch monsters or Loch records, shes perfectly happy battling Jacks and low double figure fish, and for a lady thats only been fishing just over a year after i taught her, shes extremely skilled at what she does, i like to keep my feet dry lol, but even on a loch the size of Ken, she put in a 8 hour shift of hard fishing and had half a dozen pike that day, she has the ability to get where Bank fishermen cant ha ha. Of course now that Summer is almost over she is likely to be beached for the rest of the year once it gets bad and we turn to deadbaits. We own dedicated pike and carp rods, so it is specifically a high quality telescopic im looking for, as mainstream 2, 3 or 4 piece rods are just too weighty and big to safely handle on a paddle board whilst being dragged about on windy days etc. So, thats what im after if anyone can recommend something more suitable than a cheapo one. Thanks guys.

nottskev

Reaction score
Have you checked what's in the Shimano catalogue these days? I bought a telescopic pike rod from (then) quite a wide choice in the early 2000's. I had the idea that I'd stash it, made up, in the car and bring it out to extract nuisance pike interfering with my roach fishing. The model I bought was a bit beefy for lure fishing but lighter action ones were available then.

ian g

Reaction score
Have you checked what's in the Shimano catalogue these days? I bought a telescopic pike rod from (then) quite a wide choice in the early 2000's. I had the idea that I'd stash it, made up, in the car and bring it out to extract nuisance pike interfering with my roach fishing. The model I bought was a bit beefy for lure fishing but lighter action ones were available then.
Looks to be quite a few on ebay

GrayG70

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for all the replys, didnt realise there was so much out there, i think the issue is you dont really see them advertised much as its not the kind of rods people buy for carp or pike. Plenty to go on there. In my Carping days Shimano was kind of the premium best rods around, and reels. I spend my days dreaming of that magic 30+, shes just happy catching any ha ha, i was actually amazed watching that 14 she caught on the cheap spinning rod drag her around on that board, but she won the battle, how that rod didnt snap i do not know lmao. Thanks again all.