Tench hemp additive??

Tudor86

Reaction score
Hi all
I am preparing my own hemp at home to use on a water which contains my target of tench but no carp. Is there a flavour or additive I can add that the tench will particularly like?

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve done quite well with pineapple flavouring for tench, they do seem to like that.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hemp is a brilliant attractant on it‘s own, personally I can’t see the point of adding anything else?
Although they are few and far between at the moment, wasps are attracted to pineapple favouring which will be on your hands and possibly your face if you touch it!!! Beware.

steve2

Reaction score
When I have used hemp as feed I have never found any need to flavour it no matter what species of fish I am fishing for.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seconded, pineapple and n-butryic acid for me.

Be prepared it stinks.
I’ve got some of that stinky stuff, chub love it too. How do you combine it with pineapple, glug boilies maybe?

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t usually add anything to my hemp but I use the water I boiled the hemp in to wet my groundbait if I’m using any and use a ground bait with sweet molasses and/or some bloodmeal in it.

On the leger I’ve had quite a lot of success with Active-8 flavoured pellets dipped in Active-8 activator and caught three of my largest Tench on it; however I haven’t used it for quite a while now.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'll go along with Simon however, I've found that the addition of a few drops of aniseed will make it even more attractive.............

PS I can't be bothered with making my own these days and tend to use Frenzied......

rayner

Reaction score
I'm with the group that thinks hemp is effective enough on its own, I do alter it in a fashion when I use it for carp, what I do is to keep it in the cooking water then leave it in the sun for up to a week. It sort of ferments similar to how a yeast works, getting a frothy covering telling me it's ready. It proper stinks that could be the attraction.
Carp, where I fish love what I call cheesy hemp, fish in the margin with a corn or meat hook bait.
I can't see how tench wouldn't take it if you dare try a little to see if it would work ?

bencarvosso

Reaction score
There's a fine line between good old cheesy hemp and other particles before it can go rancid. Timing is key.
I have used fermented hemp and tench do really go mad for it...
I usually have a few buckets of various particles soaking at different stages of fermentation on the go which I use for tench. Another favourite is red dari. Slightly bigger than hemp and the tench adore it. Wheat is another great one.
Sometimes I added some condensed milk to the final mix before using it and had some really good results. Makes a sticky cloud.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Hi all
I am preparing my own hemp at home to use on a water which contains my target of tench but no carp. Is there a flavour or additive I can add that the tench will particularly like?
I just use hemp and add no flavour...... one thing I do I to keep the water that I cook it in it’s full of hemp flavour, I mix ground bait up with it or soak pellets with it. I’ve even poured a bit on sweet corn to stop it drying out.