Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Re: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

Happy to report 14 fished and no blanks. Tinge of colour and a slow flow and very little weed..
Plenty of roach ,dace, chub, perch and bream. Winning weight was 18lb, which included a couple of bream. . With other back up weights in double figures.............
Who says rivers are dead?

red creel

Reaction score

Had a quick 5 hour session on the Thames yesterday just to try out some homemade floats.Hemp n Tares done the damage in the end, strangely i could not get any interest on maggot whatsoever.Zero flow and gin clear as usual.

barbelboi

Reaction score

Haven't fished the Thames yet this season (in fact not for a couple of seasons) but will be trying our club stretches and backwaters later in the year. Having a lot of fun on the smaller rivers and tench fishing at the moment.
Jerry

peter crabtree

Reaction score

Fished a club match at Dorchester Oxon today.
Nice bit of colour but very little flow.
Started on groundbait feeder and maggot hoping for a bream or 3.
Only got bitted out so changed to pole .
Then it rained. Set up a stick float and fished close in the last 4 hours
catching roach to 7oz .
Ended up with 5lb 15. for 3rd out of 15 .
Species were roach, dace, chublets, perch, gudgeon, Ruffe, and bleak.
Happy days......

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score

wot a mix m8, gudgeon and ruffe seem to be on the way back, even as low down as teddington
2 TAC members had a brace of pope last week for 11oz

the TAC have got daily clarity readings on their forum, temps will follow shortly

A

alan whittington

Hey Jim,are you going to pack it in like Keith told you,crazy fella sometimes,he's brainwashed himself on the brilliance of the ATr and im a member.:D

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score

m8 I support the angling trust, we need someone to represent us to the powers that be, but I dont give'em £25, I give them something much more precious than money, my time
we're all entitled to our opinions, and everyones lives are different, so different opinions are to be expected, and as you and many others are aware, ammateur and naive are hats I'm happy to wear, but perhaps its naive to believe, that whats gone before is gonna change

apologies to the mods for going of topic

A

alan whittington

My fault Jimmy,not yours mate.:wh

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score

no probs m8, if I give 'em £25, and claim petrol expenses when I attend their meetings, like everyone else I'd be quids in

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

m8 I support the angling trust, we need someone to represent us to the powers that be, but I dont give'em £25, I give them something much more precious than money, my time
we're all entitled to our opinions, and everyones lives are different, so different opinions are to be expected, and as you and many others are aware, ammateur and naive are hats I'm happy to wear, but perhaps its naive to believe, that whats gone before is gonna change

apologies to the mods for going of topic

-------------

Jim,

I think you are wrong !!

I believe all anglers should join the Angling Trust, just because the A-C-A are now part of it and when it comes to pollution, they seem to be able to get something back for from Polluters.

As a Mate you know how I feel about the comments on the Radio.

Keep at it Mate, your doing a Great Job.

Bob

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

no probs m8, if I give 'em £25, and claim petrol expenses when I attend their meetings, like everyone else I'd be quids in
I know what you mean Jim, but if they're the 'expenses' I'm thinking about, they don't come out of the ATr. It's money the EA used to grant to the old TFCC so they could get feedback from the various river groups and it also paid for an annual seminar that the TFCC used to organise. Others in that group will claim it, I never did either, but then I only have to travel 13 miles or so if I go (I walked to many when they were in Wycombe), you have to travel a hell of a lot further and deserve it.

May see you at the next one. A while since I went.

vim fuego

Reaction score

Hi Guys

As you can see I'm new on here so bear with me.

Anyhow, I've not been on the Thames as yet this season but will start next month when the boat traffic calms down a bit.

I've been fishing at Dorchester for over twenty years and have to say that
the fishing is nowhere near as good today as it was back then.

I remember the chub would be queueing up to be caught and the size of the fish was more in the region of 3 to 6lb rather than the 2 to 4lb average nowadays and there seemed be far more of them.

One morning, my brother caught a 10lb barbel and I was fishing 200 yards away from him and had an 8lb a couple of minutes later but have never seen one since.

The gudgeon seem to have all but disappeared too only catch the odd one now rather than the dozens I used to.

Hopefully things will be better from this autumn

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score

nice one jeff, fair play if you travel loads of miles, loads of times, but if you volunteer to help your club, then surely volunteering to cover a few costs aint to much to expect
within our club no-one claims petrol or any other expense, otherwise I'd be charging when I deliver our posters to the tackle shops or turn up at a litter pick

surely we all spend more on bait/tackle than petrol in travelling to club meetings/appointments

red creel

Reaction score

Thames again yesterday and fortunately despite the warnings up till saturday morning of strong wind and driving rain conditions were perfect.A lovely early autumn to be out by the river, if only the fish had read the script as well!

Was a bit of a grueller for me but at least there was a bit of flow this time not surprising as we were only 30 yds or so down from a weir.Nothing of note for me as i suffered no end of pike trouble spooking the fish and of the few fish i hooked three were mugged right at the point of swinging them in.Mostly over enthusiatic jacks but mid afternoon a good double rocked up and casually swam past my swim no more than three feet from the bank.

My regular angling companion Bill fared much better with a good catch of mostly Dace a few Perch and one Chub.Highlight of the day for him though was a Grass Carp(his first) which led him a merry dance on light tackle tailwalking a couple of times, once when he thought it was beaten and was sliding the landing net underneath it.

barbelboi

Reaction score

Hi Andy, As located West Berks I take it you're fishing somewhat west of my area, more Reading way?
Jerry

peter crabtree

Reaction score

That's the first grass carp I have heard of from the Thames, interesting...
How big was it Andy?
As for those pike, blimming pain in the neck..
I recall a match at Appleford when a pike grabbed every decent roach I hooked...

red creel

Reaction score

Hello Jerry
Yes correct i am a member of RDAA and they have a huge amount of the middle Thames available but a lot of it is underfished as the Kennet is the big draw for a lot of the clubs anglers.

Simon
This particular weirpool is fairly reliable for Pike but i had not figured them into the equation when preparing my tackle on Saturday night.Hence i had no suitable gear with me to extract the pesky snappers from my swim.Re the Grassie i have heard of a few coming out of the lower river but two seasons ago one was caught in a match at Goring.As it was Bill's first of the species we did weigh it 9lb 1oz was the scores on the door.Was a very impressive fish and in superb condition.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score

no shortage of grassies in the richmond to teddington reach chaps

peter crabtree

Reaction score

Fished a 29 peg match at old Windsor yesterday.
A nice day with the wind on our backs.
Average depths of 10 to 12ft in most pegs with canal type flow due to locks and boats.
My 1st time on the venue, same for son of meldrew.
In 6 hours over 200lb of fish were landed predominantly
herring dace around 6 to 9 inches (5-6oz) Virtually all participants fished float
on either pole or wag and mag tactics.
The winner had 17lb 08oz mostly on the topper.
son of M had 12lb 04oz on pole and waggler , I managed 7lb 15oz all on pole
at 13m.
Great to find some quality dace again..
happy days....

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Fished at Cliveden Reach, Maidenhead, just today. Instead of going for the tiddlers (sorry Simon ;)) I was going for the big girls, chub or barbel.

When I set off I was not expecting a 15lbs barbel or a 7lbs chub and guess what? Everything went just as I'd expected. Nil, zilch, nowt, nada and a bluddy black labrador dog went and attacked my mashed pellet groundbait and spilled it all over my open tackle box and the lady said "You shouldn't leave food out for dogs to investigate." - Try keeping them on a bluddy lead lady - honestly some people demostrate less common sense than a rat gnawing through a power cable.

At least I now know its a waste of time there, at this time of year, in daylight, with little flow.