Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
good luck to all!!

If the weather man's got it right, you'll be struggling through the snow to get there... mind you, that will make it all the more satisfying when you catch!! The fish in rivers have to feed sometime, I think you've got a reasonable chance of catching something.....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
That is my plan of attack as well Alan, in our Christmas Match this Sunday at Sandford

As by some hint of madness and forlorn hope of fishing the Thames again this season, I'm a current member of Littlemore AS, so I'll wish you well on Sunday. I won't be there except in spirit!

A

alan whittington

Wont be on the Thames this week,with the river being so clear and the chub not being confident until the light fails,i think if i get out at all my more local Ouse may be an easier bet for a short session.

fishing mad 13

Reaction score
thamess match

hay all im 12 nearly 13 i had a match to day on the thames in chiselhampton near watlington in oxford ther was 12 people fishing 11 blanked inclueding me:( but th one guy who didnt caught to shub one about 2.7lb and one a whappoing great 5.5lb biggest chub ive ever seen:eek:
just wondering if i could get any advise on fishing this section of the river coz im a bit:confused: at why no one caught??????

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You aren't the only blankers today. I fished with the T-A-C lot at Walton on Thames today and all 6 of us blanked. The Thames is always rock hard at this time of the season especially with the recent rain which got it bombing through, and then as it settled down the temperatures plummeted again.
A lot of the middle Thames venues are chub or bust in these conditions unless you can be bothered to fish right down the edge in the slack for bits. sometimes these gruelling matches are won with 1 small fish...........

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Well Fishing mad13,i would say your best option in anything like the conditions we have now and in the area around Oxford is to either straight lead big lumps of breadflake after casting just above where you are fishing and striking 4-5 bits off,or a smallish cage feeder filled with liquidised bread with the same hook and bait,leave the bait out for at least 20-30 minutes if possible,chances are you wont get loads of bites but you can get a chub or two early otherwise its a long wait.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
hay all im 12 nearly 13 i had a match to day on the thames in chiselhampton near watlington in oxford ther was 12 people fishing 11 blanked inclueding me:( but th one guy who didnt caught to shub one about 2.7lb and one a whappoing great 5.5lb biggest chub ive ever seen:eek:
just wondering if i could get any advise on fishing this section of the river coz im a bit:confused: at why no one caught??????

Tell me it wasn't Brian Hutchings that caught! He can catch in a sponge at the moment.

As Peter said, its chub or bust at the moment. Sit on the bread or cheese for a bite. Wrap up well and wait.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mark Wintle

I went to the River and Rowing Museum at Henley-on-Thames last week and walking around came across an area dedicated to fishing.
Among the fish displays was a case containing a 2lb 13oz roach caught(and this bit is from memory!)by a chap named Hobbs at the tail end of the 19th century or early 20th.....

I may be wrong on this but I'm sure the fish came from a stretch of the Thames at 'Littlemore'..................I note you mention the Littlemore AS which I assume must be a club in that area...somewhere above Oxford???

I'd never seen a roach of this size and I still cannot get over just how big a fish of near 3lbs is...its absolutley huge!

For anyone interested in seeing this fish,the museum is also worth a visit and once you buy a ticket you can revisit as many times as as you like over the next 12months.Obviously rowing is very prominent as Steve Regrrave is a local(Marlow)but kids would find it of interest...............ideal place for a cold winters day when the brats are bored!!

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Hello Tee Cee

I'm Secretary of Littlemore AS and its the first I've heard of this massive capture. Our waters are at Sandford, but we used to have a stretch of the Thames from Rose Island down. I will try and find out a bit more about Mr Hobbs.

jef bertels

Reaction score
That'll be AE Hobbs. Just finished his book 'Trout of the Thames' - a good read from another era.

One of the most interesting threads I've ever seen on any angling forum is on barbelfishingworld about AE Hobbs. If you want to find out more about him, track that thread down. Google "Hobbs personal angling hero"

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Before anyone gets too excited I shall have to revisit the museum and double check my information,the reason being that my wife thinks it wasn't Littlemore.......I still think it was though!!
Trouble is that several cased fish were on show and I may well be confusing one with another........its an age thing!!

I will let you know if only for the records of Alan Campbell and Littlemore AS.......................sorry to confuse the issue!!

The only stretch I know well abive Oxford is the Tadpole Bridge water but haven't fished it for years....had some great roach and a number of good chub on floating crust in the summer months...

I shall come back on this ..............................eventually!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hoobs book "Trout of the Thames" is one of my favourite angling books ever.I have an original copy but I also had one of the Medlar Press reprints. Cracking little books and well worth a go if you enjoy reading about how it was years ago. I can thoroughly recommend the J W Martin book too.

fishing mad 13

Reaction score
hay im fishing a pairs match in drayton saint lenod in newington near stadhampton looking for some tips plz help + had a great session at milton pools and possibley the junior britishe reckord cruican!!!!:D the britishe reckord is 4.9 i think:confused: and i caught a 3.2 and im 13 so possible junior reckord???? :D :D :D :) :) :)

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

how do make a new forum????? any help

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
nabbed 4hrs in a buddies boat yesterday, around hampton court
a handful of toothy critters obliged, the biggest a low double
happy happy days
water temp was 47

if you're free next wednesday evening, 16th, and in the hampton area, then join the TAC for a presentation from mike wilson, founder of the carp society and loads more besides
its in a pub overlooking the river thames, costs a fiver and starts at 1930hrs
details are on the TAC website Thames Anglers' Conservancy (TAC)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That'll be AE Hobbs. Just finished his book 'Trout of the Thames' - a good read from another era.

One of the most interesting threads I've ever seen on any angling forum is on barbelfishingworld about AE Hobbs. If you want to find out more about him, track that thread down. Google "Hobbs personal angling hero"

Guilty to that one. It did become interesting, didn't it - with Mike Wilson and one or two others really pitching in in addition to myself...

I kept all the postings and pics in Word doc., knowing how online stuff can disappear.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
I was listening to Material world on radio 4 yesterday(10th). They were discussing invasive species and Chinese mitten crabs in particular. I have seen them in the tidal Thames but did you know they have now spread as far upstream as Didcot.......
To listen again go to radio 4 homepage and click schedule, then click the 10th of feb, then scroll down to 4:30pm

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Re: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

Sunday will be my 1st Thames visit this season. A small club match at Wallingford. I am hoping that the deluge yesterday will give it a bit of colour and even a slight flow.
Have any of you who live nearby been on the bank or over a bridge and checked it out?

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
Re: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

howdy peter, dont know about that far up, but down this end its got clarity of 6 - 8ft, no flow and weed growth unseen before