The Alternative Angler ? Fish-in Magic

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Following on from Kevin's article I can see the sense in what he proposes.

Being as it now falls to me to organise the annual Clattercote event I have an idea for this one. But I'll start a new thread.

CLATTERCOTE TEACH-IN

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Kevin, it is a fair point.

There is no question of fish-ins been a closed shop.The onesI have organised are open to anyone.Its true that you tend to see the same core of people but there is no clique and I hope people are not put off on that basis, certainly on the onesI organise.

I konw it to be the case that anybody who turns up and wants a bit of "coaching" is freely given it.For example I know that Neil Mhas taken Claudia under his wing on the last couple of grayling days to show her the ropes andI am sure any of the more experienced anglers would do the same if anyone who expressed an interest in being given a few pointers.I will be in the same boat at Sywell never having legered at range for tench before.

There is of course nothing to stop anyone setting a fish -in on the basis of a coaching day if they wish to appeal to beginners etc.

F

Fred Bonney

Just remember Kevin, if just one individual doesn't like what you write,your on to a winner!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Nigel

Bad phrasing from me (again!) asI never intended to suggest that there was a clique surrounding the Fish-Ins. But some anglers (me included) may feel less than easy about turning up to fish a method that they may be less than familiar with, or maybe not at all, but would at least like to have a go.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes kevin,I realise now that I was responding to an accusation that was not made.My fault.

I wanted to make clear that fish ins are open to all and nobody, least of all you, should feel worried about coming along to fish a method that they may not be experienced in.

Perhaps those organising them could make clear the invite is open to all.Steve Spiller's predator fish-in was organised for the very purpose of having a teach-in for example.

Deanos

Reaction score
Kevin, I hope that we can both meet up at a fish-in sometime in the future, I assure you that you shall no longer feel inferior if it comes down to how many trees, bushes or assorted underwater snags you hook into during a session!

I haven't made it to a fish in yet, Saturdays are faster than ever been taken up as working days for me (happily so I might add).

At the moment it is blowing a gale in Yorkshire, totally mad fishing conditions, so I could be on for a record number of trees today!

Andyw

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

Once again there have been some rumblings on the forums about the relative merits of the weekly fishing mags, and they're not worth buying and you can get what you want from FM (other websites are available)

As I am not the owner of a laptop, FM is unavailable to me on the toilet!!! My WC is a veritable fishing library of weeklies and monthlies!!! I value my quiet time in there, no kids, no wife, no cat!!! Its very enlightening, on several levels!!!

As for the Fish-In thing... As you know I was gonna go last year, but kinda bottled it if ya like cos of the reasons you have put forward, looking a muppet, not wanting to spoil someone elses visit by hassling them for advice.

As I still consider myself an extreme novice, all the gear no idea situation, I'd be overwhelmed or perhaps a little intimidated by all the experience and technical ability on show...

Regards

Andy

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Andy

I am more than willing to dragyou alongkicking and screaming to the Clattecote teach-in. I've still got plenty to learn, witness my string of DNW's at that particular venue, but I still like going!

Regards

Kevin

Andyw

Reaction score
Yeah sounds good... I think a Teach In appeals to me more!!

Well as long as you can definately and absolutely promise me I'll better my carp PB!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Just read Kevin's article and I see it says "at the Clattercote match we could get a few of the acknowledged 'experts' to walk up and down". Well, I've offered to help at Graham's Clattercote teach-in, but I now hasten to add that <u>I AM NOT AN EXPERT</u> there otherwise I would have fished the pants off it and won before now.

Kevin, you say "Bad phrasing from me (again!) asI never intended to suggest that there was a clique surrounding the Fish-Ins."

It matters little how or what you say, someone will always infer (and I DO mean "infer" this time) something else from it. Not saying that Nigel's got the wrong end of the stick either, but in the case of a suspected attack the first response is to fire off a volley in the hope this warns off the aggressor.

The only restriction for me at the moment is the cost of attending these events, especially if they are well up north,like beyond Birmingham is a no, no! I too am a (big confession coming up) grayling virgin, it's the one fish I would dearly love to catch, but I couldn't even think of spending that sort of money to go on the grayling fish-in. Sorry Nigel, no fault of yours, but just the way it is.

Note on English Grammar - The writer or speaker IMPLIES something, it is the reader or listener that INFERS something. It's not a choice of which word you can use. Just clears an earlier point in another thread.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Clattercote????????????????????? I've booked Drayton!.....

Kevin, If you ever fancy learning to trot on the Dorset Stour let me know. No grayling (or at least very rare) but enough roach and dace to learn on. No need for a pin either. 2008 will be your year for making it into print - go for it!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Fish-ins are brilliant!

The ones I have organised have been a huge success, although the planning provides a huge headachefor the organiser. The weather (floods), drop-outs, daytickets, stress, griefand rude people who put their names down then don't reply to e-mails and posts all make it great fun!

Am I pi$$ed off? Yes, a bit. I've still got a sour taste in my mouth from my last one, no names, they know who they are!

At fish-ins we make new friends andmeet with old ones too. If anyone is un-sure at all as to what they are doing please don't feel you shouldn't attend because of it.

I will always put my rod down and help and give advice, as will most of the regulars.

Andy W, if you can get to Sywell go for it mate. You can bivvy up next to me and we can blank together /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Andyw

Reaction score
I've added my name to the list Steve, my only issue is transport...

So I'll be spending the next few months buttering up the wife a bit!!! Need to chalk up a few brownie points!!

That said there won't be any room for the kit in the car when all me kids are in it!!

But blanking sounds good!! I got that nailed!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Me too Andy!!!

I'll tell you all about it, remind me to tell the tale about Chew Res' 25-1-08.

Seriously mate it would be lovely to meet up.

Is that Nutty German bird coming? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The catfish fish-in is definately not a closed shop affair.

When matty firstput forward the idea of a group having a bash at trying to catch overgrown tadpoles none of us had any experience of rigs,baits,tackle and tactics etc... we relied on information passed onto us via budgie burgess and what we could find from the internetand the fishery bailiff.

We all turned up with our own ideas,thoughts and plans and basicly learnt the hard way!!! One fish was caught and what a stunner it was too!!!

Last years event saw us a little bit wiser and dare i say a bit more confident in our methods and with plenty of other fishing on offer as well,you could take a break from the cats and relax and gather your thoughts by doing something else.

Sure it would be nice to have a bankside talk and demo fromsomeone who is really in the know but i don`t think it`s that important.There are enough of us on hand to offer any advice on rigs and tackle and there is plenty of infoavailiable via the internet etc....if in doubt then just ask!!!

We`re a happy go lucky bunch who are only too willing to try and help each other out.

R

Roto Fryer 1

fish ins are generally about a social event so fishing is not taken too seriously by most. Any newbies on the carp fishins we used to attend would have had a good laugh & learned a lot if you wanted too but above all you would generally blank.

for example carp fishing is about finding the fish and then doing your thing where as a fish in is about staying together and having some fun a good nosh, maybe a fish & showing our new ideas etc: on overnighters it is also about our capacity to consume copious amounts of mood altering liquids!.

if you were a virgin and you came with us we would have supplied all your gear and got you going.

then, i would of bored you to death about anything, big Stu would have bored you to death about rigs, big Rik would have belched whatever info you needed to know at you, Cakey would have poisoned you and then said you missed his fish!, Wol, a fine angler, would have probably fallen over on the gear he'd lent you!!

so don't be afraid to meet new people, if you are serious about your angling you will be helped by everybody. if you are a time waster you will get found out.

if you click on the web you are very likely to click in reality.

R

Roto Fryer 1

Wol

I think there are still photographs to suggest otherwise!!!

"please don't leave me alone"