The Barbel society barbel challenge North vs South

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
The Barbel society barbel challenge in aid of the army benevolent fund.

North vs South

Starting on august 8th 2015 several members of the barbel society and there friends will attempt to catch a barbel each including 3 doubles from rivers around the country.

2 teams of 5, 1 from the north and 1 from the south will fish 4 rivers at the same time in an attempt to catch a barbel each including 3 doubles from each river.
The rivers will consist of some of the following, dove, derwent, trent, teme, severn, goyt, wavon, Kennet, colne, thames wye and nene.

Both teams will then meet on an undicided 5th river where working as a team they will attempt to catch 4 double figure barbel and a minimum of 2 barbel each.

The northern team will consist of Jerry Gleeson, Paul Floyd Matt Marlow, Phil Smith and 1 other, the southern team will be Dave Chambers, Gary Lucas, Justin Beale, Steve Ward and Christophe Pelhate.
It is hoped the angling community, family and friends will once again get behind the lads and help them raise a fantastic amount of money for the army benevolent fund by sponsoring the event as a whole or per barbel caught.

https://www.justgiving.com/Jerry-Gleeson2

You can also donate by texting HYVE75 £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070.*

B

binka

I like the format Jerry, should introduce some well humoured needle into things... I just hope the weather is far kinder to you all this time around.

Good luck with your plans and the fund raising, I look forward to following the updates when you all kick off :thumbs:

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Cheers mate,should be a good crack especially leading upto it, im not to bothered about the weather its the calamity of disasters that seem to happen to me every year that worries me most :D

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
the abf charity barbel challenge North vs South

Please get behind the lads and help them raise a fantastic amount of money for the army benevolent fund

The ABF Charity barbel challenge

North vs South

Starting on the 15th august 10 friends will embark on a quest to catch 3 double figure barbel and a barbel each from 10 rivers in 5 days

2 teams of 5, 1 from the north and 1 from the south will fish 4 rivers at the same time in an attempt to catch a barbel each including 3 doubles from each river.
The rivers will consist of some of the following, dove, derwent, trent, teme, severn, goyt, wavon, Kennet, colne, thames wye and nene.

Both teams will then meet on the river wye where working as a team they will attempt to catch 4 double figure barbel and a minimum of 2 barbel each.

The northern team will consist of Jerry Gleeson, Paul Floyd, Matt Marlow, Phil Smith and Julian Barnes the southern team will be Dave Chambers, Gary Lucas, Justin Beale, Steve Ward and Christophe Pelhate both teams will have a guest angler on each river.

It is hoped the angling community, family and friends will once again get behind the lads and help them raise a fantastic amount of money for the army benevolent fund by sponsoring the event as a whole or per barbel caught.

Donations can be made using www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson2

A few slight changes this year we now have 10 anglers instead of 8, we've moved the date to accommodate everyone and changed the name to the abf charity barbel challenge.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Northern team rivers confirmed*

Nene 15th/16th August
Trent 16th/17th August*
Derwent 17th/18th August
Dove 18th/19th August
Wye 19th/20th August

god knows where the southern team are going, there being a bit secretive about it all

www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson2

jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
southern teams rivers confirmed finally :)

Kennet 15/16th august
Thames 16/17th august
Colne 17/18th august
Severn 18/19th august
Wye 19 and 20th august

Guest anglers for the southern team so far are Will Barnard, Shaun Nurse, Dave Gauntlet.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
In just under 2 weeks myself and 9 mates that ive all met through barbel fishing will set off on this years abf charity barbel challenge to raise money for the army benevolent fund, a charity that looks after our ex service men and women.
It is now in its 3rd year and although we have a lot of fun doing these and have been extremely lucky to catch some good fish it is by no means easy, and lady luck does play a massive part, in the past 2 years myself Paul Floyd​ Phil Smith​ and Dave Chambers​ have travelled over 2500 miles up and down the country, it is physically and mentally exhausting, we get by on minimal sleep upto 3hrs in 24 if we're lucky sat in chairs by the river, this year to make it a bit easier on us we got some other mates involved and came up with a north vs south challenge, although only 5 days this time it will be by no means easy.
For me its always been about the charity and catching the fish is just an added bonus.
If you can get behind us please do so, every little helps and will go a long way into helping our ex servicemen and women.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Well its a long drive over to Peterborough so me and Matt will be setting off on the abf challenge later on this afternoon ready for our start on the nene at 1st light tomorrow.
With plenty of the wet stuff knocking about it could make for an interesting few days for both teams.
If you can get behind us please do so at www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson2

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Phil Smith is off to a flyer landing the 1st double at 10lb 1oz Julian Barnes has had an 8lber, matts lost a good fish, nothing for Paul Floyd and ive had 2 trees in 2 casts, a good soaking and my only bite was off a mosquito thats bit me on the lip leaving me looking like ive been punched in the mouth :)

Justin Beale has bagged a small barbel, Christophe Pelhate appears to be on a completely different challenge altogether catching chub, Steve Ward isnt allowed to leave the care home untill after 9am, Dave Chambers is currently blanking and Gary Lucas has decided to spend the day roach fishing taking a 2lber

Jez

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Its been a hectic night for the monkies Phil had a new river best at 14lb 6oz, after struggling yeserday in the hot sun I managed 4 barbel to 10lb 2oz and Julian had another 8lber.
The southern team managed 4 in total to 10lb 5oz Christophe is still on his chub challenge, I think he wants to see how many chub he can get in his new 72inch landing net.
Last few hrs on both rivers before we head off to the trent and the fairies go to the colne.
And best of all ive not lost or broke anything yet :)

Www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson2

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
The ABF Barbel Challenge

A late update on the trent we decided to split up to maximise our chances 3 of us went to long eaton to meet guest angler Adrian Needham and 2 went off to Collingham, the fishing was very slow and with plenty of weed coming down was considerably difficult at times.
In total we managed 9 barbel including 2 doubles 11lb 4oz and 12lb 4oz taking our tally of 19 barbel including 5 doubles from 2 rivers, currently on the derwent at borrowash.

Please get behind us if you can every little helps
Www.justgiving.com/jerry-gleeson2

B

binka

Does anyone know how this ended up?

Either way well done lads in raising well over a grand, a sterling job! :thumbs: