The Barbel Society Handling Code

preston96

Reaction score
I don't expect them to be specific. Where have I said they should go into that level of detail?

The only reference to rod strength or line is what is already in the code, so I left that in.

I use a 15 ft rod because 90% of the time I fish the waggler and I like having the extra control. Personal preference.

My 15ft rod rarely sees the light of day, because i feel i have less control.....need a longer landing net handle, which can be difficult in a flow etc..........but like you say it's a personal thing.

At least Fred, with his BS head on, listened.

But the fact remains that the efficent capture of barbel usually merits a ledger tactic.........in my opinion, and i speak as some one who enjoys the float.

Great debate to get going tho mate.

Paul C

Reaction score
Great debate to get going tho mate.

To true...

Perhaps I wasn't clear, when I say I wade, I am doing so merely to get within catapult distance of the area which is often mid to far bank, on the waggler. There are also swims that are too deep to cast comfortably with a rod any shorter and the ribble stretches I fish are not teaming with stickfloat type swims.

I'm not usually directly targeting barbel, more anything that will take caster, but you know some will put in an appearance. It's also surprising how often they will show in numbers when feeder anglers in the same area are doing nothing, especially on those bright, warm sunny days. :)

preston96

Reaction score
To true...

Perhaps I wasn't clear, when I say I wade, I am doing so merely to get within catapult distance of the area which is often mid to far bank, on the waggler. There are also swims that are too deep to cast comfortably with a rod any shorter and the ribble stretches I fish are not teaming with stickfloat type swims.

I'm not usually directly targeting barbel, more anything that will take caster, but you know some will put in an appearance. It's also surprising how often they will show in numbers when feeder anglers in the same area are doing nothing, especially on those bright, warm sunny days. :)

In the early days of Middle Severn barbel, loads could be caught on lightish trotting gear, i often targeted them specifically, they would take the casters that floated off the top....it was that unreal when compaired to the reality of today.............but to be honest, a float rod is probably the last thing i reach for nowadays when i have barbs in mind.

But that aint to say i shouldn't think about it more. ;)

Muffin

Reaction score
A quiet and prolific strecth of the Bristol Avon, WTF is that!!!!

Nice article and I like the part stating that all fish should be treated in this way not just the precious Barbel.