The Bread Roll Rig

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
Touched a nerve there, did I sonny.
Well,I may be an old fool, but I think you've got there a sight quicker than I did.
Do have a nice chit-chat with Rupert, who knows all about the rig because I and his brother taught him. He actually took the pictures that have so incensed you.
Incidently, both he and his brother have also NEVER foul-hooked using the rig. How much more proof of safety do you need Robin.
Now, Rupert is a nice chap, and a good friend to have. But like you, Robin, he is a bit short in the gumption department, so you should both have a pleasant time going over all the nonsense changes to a perfectly adequate rig. Have fun, guys. None of them will work because both of you have MISSED the point.
I'll put it in simple terms for you. The rig works precisely because the fish CANT get it IN its mouth. If it could, then you'd be better off hair-rigging it. As it is, the fish SUCKS at the bread TRYING to get it in. WITH ITS MOUTH!! Not with its eye, or fins, or even its sexual organs.
Sideways or end-ways, it doesn't matter, eventually it will SUCK at the end that has the hook. AGAIN, in case you missed it the first time, WITH its MOUTH. That's why it works, and that's why it's SAFE.
Get the point? Clear enough? If not, try reading it again. SLOWLY.
And now, sleepy-head, I'm going to take your advice and shut up on this one, 'cause with two dipsticks on the thread, there's no room for an old Fool? like me.

'Time for bed', said Zebedee!

C

Clive Evans

Rodney,
not seen your physog, but the thought of Cakey going to bed in pink curlers is going to send me to sleep a very happy chappie.
Perhaps you should both double-up as Dougal?
Well, big day tommorrow, gonna get started on inventing a Rubber Hook!! Now that should make the rig safe enough,even for Robin!
Night-night.

C

Cakey

Clive
at your age the thought of anyone going to bed in curlers probably turns you on !

R

RobD

Clive,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Your posts are no longer worth reading as you have no idea what your on about.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Come on boys, back to some serious debate. You can meet round the back of the bike shed if you can't resolve it any other way.

C

Cakey

OK Graham
my feelings are----
no I would not use the rig mainly because of the dangling hook and mr carp can go for the bread in any direction (not just 360 degree circle but any angle upwards )and my feelings are a piece of bread pinched on the hook is not going to stop fail hooking,on the lakes I fish the roach would probably have that off first anyway !
This is just my opinion so leave me alone ! ! !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey, a bait, especially a popped up bait on a short hooklength attached to a loaded method feeder is exactly the same thing, including the approach area, only on the bottom instead of the surface. Why can we see such identical 'possibilities' in this bread roll surface rig but The Method has passed us all by?

Incidentally, you shouldn't have to 'duck' because you have an opinion, even one that may disagree with the majority. That's what the forum's for, and if we had to hold back opinions all the time because some hot-head was always waiting to pounce and 'flame' you (as forum vernacular has it) we might as well not bother.

So, again, please, let's have some constructive debate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
One more thing. The dangling hook can be avoided by mounting one of those rubber mixers on it. Nuisance fish proof and nothing stopping you painting it white to make it look more like a piece of bread flake. You could even cut up one of those rubber baits into the shape of a piece of flake and paint it white.

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
What is very obvious here is that YOU have no idea what I'M on about. I refer you back to Keith Finn on page one of this thread. He sums you up fairly accurately.

Graham,
You will make the final decision on whether this gets/stays in the Rigs Page. That's good enough for me.

Cakey,
Quotes; ''I'm feeling very gay today''
''have used curlers for years''
Should we begin to see you from a new perspective, sweetie??

R

RobD

Clive,

No its not that, you keep going over the same old ground and we are talking improvements here........ I'm talking progree and you just keep going over the same oll stuff not thats sending me off to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Again I'll can we all see your improved version that you talk of, you have been tweeking on it for over 10 years you say so why not help us out?

pete proctor

Reaction score
Can't you two fellers just let it be now? It must be putting off everybody else from contributing. Here's my bit anyway.

Grahams got a point, what's so different about this rig than many others? That doesn't make it a completely safe rig I know, but if we question this so closely then we have to question loads of others that are not so different.

C

Clive Evans

OK Robin,
that seems a polite approach, as opposed to ''shut up''. (I mean, this is a debate and it is my thread, after all). So I will answer you in the same manner.
My words were ''as efficient as it is now''. The rig itself has not been changed radically since I was first shown it by Rupert's brother. Nor will it be, by me. It works too well to change.
The tweaking I referred to has been in the presentation ie. the right bread, the right line, the right way to tie it, the right rod to cast a distance. All these things make a difference and had to be learned from experience. I'm not going to go into detail here, because as we have seen, some people are fed up already.
Robin, if you (or anbody) can come up with an idea that will improve the safety of 'this' rig, as it is now, then I will be more than happy to take it on board.
But if you and Rupert insist on change, whether it's curlers or conkers, well that's another Rig and should be on a separate thread. I'll contribute, you can bet on it!
I wish you luck!!
Clive.

R

RobD

Alright Clive,

No sweat but I think if you check out Ruperts simple ideas a few posts back then you'll see he has already made it safer just by using his noddle........ I like his way and I can see no dangers or hassles with it.

Have a look on the next page back!
C'ya.

C

Clive Evans

Robin,
hate to put another damper on your hopes, but Rupert got his 'ideas' on curlers and poly-balls from earwigging on me and his brother. Just two of the many digressions we discussed, and discarded, due to their inherent ineptness.
The poly-ball is just a smaller version which doesn,t cast far, and merely increases the chance of catching small fish. The curler idea was a complete no-no, in that you cannot avoid a fixed rig without getting very complicated.
If you can make them work half as well as the bread-roll, I'll certainly be interested to hear about it.
The thing to realise here, is that the large bread roll is Not meant to be a bait for the mouth.
It is in effect an edible controller/bolt-rig that attracts fish and entices them to suck at it. The bigger it is, the safer they are. Until they suck the end with the hook in it. And that comes from 10 years of trial and observation.
Simple to tie, simple to use, and it catches as safely as any other rig. What more could I want.
Tight lines,
Clive.

R

Rupert Stephenson

i did say others might have used the ideas i mentioned , i made no claim to them as mine,
anyway this thread is going nowhere so i'm off to do my own thing and hopefuly improve my carping by listening and learning from others to then form my own opinions.

R

RobD

Alright Clive,

The polyball is not really the part that interests me but the smaller version with the hook pulled into is.... seems a much safer way of doing things to me and will still have the effect of cutting the bread on a take.

I do understand that the the roll is not intended for the mouth and that is exactly where I see the possibilities if foul hooking, it hasn't happened to you and thats great and I'm happy about that too.... but I can see a danger in that so I'd prefer to go with Ruperts version or at the very least make sure that the hook is baited.

I'm not too sure that not casting far and catching small fish is actually related though...... what do you mean by that?

C'ya.

K

Keith Finn

Robin and Clive,
Not wishing to get into any slanging match with anyone, when use " The Bread Roll Rig " or whatever you may call it, When I say I use a full slice of War******s I find that the Carp do not seem to nudge it or play with it but take the WHOLE LOT in one go.
The size of the bait means that the smaller Fish ie decent sized Rudd, Roach and other pain in the butts when you are not fishing for them, cannot do much damage to it but just push it around the surface.
Saying that though I had a 6lb 2oz Orfe and 5lb 4oz Chub on this method last weekend :D and I have also had plenty of Tench up to 4lb 8oz!!!.( Not big I know but this is in over 10 ft of water)
Not once did any of these two fish play with it or nudge it. Just a big swirl and fish on!!. As far as I am concerned, not once in nearly 10 yrs of fishing this method have I foul hooked a fish so will continue to use this method until I can find something else that will catch me more wary fish.
Keith