THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

sam vimes

Reaction score
Does the abenta pro have a ratchet?

Yes, it has a ratchet. All of the Okuma pins, other than the Trent, are basically the same reel with different window dressing.

Daft question maybe, but does it have a drag?

No, it does not. The number of pins with drags is rather small. The Okuma Trent is one of the few.

I do own a pin and I did have a different one previously. I rather enjoy using a pin, but only for trotting. Having tried legering and short range stillwater float fishing, I can't see the point in handicapping myself by using a pin for these tasks.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no great mystery involved in centrepins. For float fishing you want something that spins freely and smoothly. The less weight required to set it in motion the better. If you are going to leger on a river with it, is the ratchet strong enough to hold in normal conditions on the river you intend to use it.

However, I suspect that any question you could possibly have is answered more fully than I could ever hope to. Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel Fishing

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do own a pin and I did have a different one previously. I rather enjoy using a pin, but only for trotting. Having tried legering and short range stillwater float fishing, I can't see the point in handicapping myself by using a pin for these tasks.

Unless your casting beyond 30yds you won't be handicapping yourself by using a centrepin...so long as you can cast one correctly of course.

nicepix

Reaction score
A lot of barbel anglers seem to favour the old Speedia reels.

To a novice this might seem irrelevant, but the Speedia, Rapidex and Trudex possess a ratchet on / off switch that can easily be accessed by a finger on the rod hand. Reels such as the Okuma Sheffield, Aventa Pro, etc and some of the classics like the Match Aerial have ratchet switches that are a pain in the 'arris to turn and invariably you need to use your reel hand to do it.

As regards ledgering remember that a reel such as the Match Aerial and Trudex / Rapidex type has an adjustable drag but that drag operates both ways. So if you dial in drag to stop the reel turning against the flow it will also act on the retrieve. As Sam has mentioned the only reels to have a one way drag are the Trent / Sirata / Sheffield DRII from Okuma.

The adjustable drag on any reel isn't much use for trotting but it does come in handy to fine tune the reel when Wallis Casting.

If you want a reel for ledgering be careful about buying some of the Leeds designs or some Adcocks Stantons as they might not have a ratchet or for that matter handles.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unless your casting beyond 30yds you won't be handicapping yourself by using a centrepin...so long as you can cast one correctly of course.

You have your views, I have mine and I'm just as entitled to mine as you are to yours. Don't try to turn yet another pin thread into a war.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If casting say 2oz+ of lead is the weight enough to turn the spool from a simple cast or does the spool need to be spun eg like in a Wallace cast?

You need to wallise cast it to cast accurately.

You never use any mechanical drag when casting, only drag needed is your thumb, used with co-ordination on the cast.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

You have your views, I have mine and I'm just as entitled to mine as you are to yours. Don't try to turn yet another pin thread into a war.

Ain't got a clue what your talking about wars for. I just sid it how it is, learn to cast and there wouldn't be a problem for you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ain't got a clue what your talking about wars for. I just sid it how it is, learn to cast and there wouldn't be a problem for you.

For crying out loud! For MY fishing, on the venues I fish, they're handicap. I've given it a go and I won't be doing it again. You stick to what you do, and I'll do what I like.:eek:mg:

laguna

Reaction score
I had a pin as a kid, didn't get on with it and prefer my close face for trotting and bit bashing on stillwater.

I have no real opinion on old tackle or new tart gear other than to say; traditionalists do love their pins don't they?
They're can be no denying; they sure do look nice... in the wall cabinet.

I mean no disrespect whatsoever to anyone that uses pins, pins are beautiful but far from ideal Imo, paying out line is as bad as shipping in and out with a pole - reason why I don't use either.

There's good old stuff and bad, same with the new gear some stuffs definitely an improvement on the past but a lot of it is designed for the fashionists, obsequious followers... also Imo a lot of the obsession with pins appears to be from, and designed for the traditionalists (old gits) to drool over... nostalgia can be very powerful, the neo-tart too I know how these things can influence. :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Personally I cannot see the point in using CP's for barbel/carp fishing when a fixed spool does the job far better (IMHO)
I tried for some time to use an ancient wide drum Speedia with line guard for barbel and whilst the ratchet sound of line leaving he reel at speed gets the heart racing, the control, for me' just doesn't compare...In fact the bang to my fingers in trying to stop the fish was rather unpleasant, to say the least !
I've done the same with close in still water carp work and again the control is missing ( IMHO). Yes, it's could be said to be more 'exciting' if that's the right word but as far as I'm concerned the fixed spool wins every time.

HOWEVER, use a CP with light tackle for roach, trotting a river or Stillwater, and (IMHO) they cannot be beaten. I use various reels, all old, all with ratchet and drag and they work just fine with the drag offering that little bit more control, fishing close in, when a free spinning thing that runs for a minute is ( IMHO) totally pointless...

The old saying 'horses for courses' and 'one mans meat' etc come to mind so whilst every one has ideas around choice or reel and usage nobody can argue with mine simply because IT WORKS FOR ME, so I hope the original poster will buy one and through constant usage will come to enjoy what they have to offer and it a way THAT SUITS HIM !!

The choice of reel, as with the way you fish them, is endless but IMHO if it has a drag and/or ratchet then why not have them to fall back on.......although I can imagine some purists taking a sharp intake of breath just about now !!

Of course only MHO so I don't become snarled up in CP wars !!! (add a smilie here....)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Lay out a tenner or so on a cheapie; an old brown Aerialite or one of those Theseus things, for example.
Take it down to your nearest commercial and catch a few fish with it, close in.

Did you enjoy the direct contact as you played the fish?

Did you enjoy the way you can cast almost two rods out by just hooking your thumb in the line where it comes off the reel, drawing off a comfortable loop, and pulling back, with your thumb as a pulley, to launch the rig towards the rod-top, while giving the rod the merest "Harry Potter" swish'n'flick to ensure the float didn't actually hit the tip ring, thus enabling you to fish all those swims with cast-inhibiting trees all around?

If you didn't, stick with the fixed spool, sell the reel on, or use it as a line-store.

If you did, but certain things drove you nuts - usually to do with slack line - persevere till you stop getting tangles. Learn to tuck the reel under your arm, if standing, or belly (should you have one) while sitting, to prevent the sneaky unhooking/baiting-up time overrun, for instance. Keep an eye out for side-winds. Learn to cast a bit farther by taking several loops off - and thinking about the sequence in which you release them so you don't spend the whole day unpicking tangles. Learn to find the check button as you put the rod down and pick it up; slack line is your enemy.

Having fun? OK, now try a river where you can catch close in, using the casts you know and feeding line to the float by hand, or by thumbing the spool.

If the flow is strong enough and your reel starts turning easily enough, fit a big enough float to enable the flow to pull line off the reel. See what a difference in resistance there is between pointing the rod downstream, almost at the float, and holding it across the stream, with a right-angle in the line at the tip. Try using that to vary your presentation, holding-back then running-through by turns.

If you reel is not free-running enough, now is the time to consider an upgrade. Okuma if you have the dosh, Cortesi or decent old Trudex if you haven't. If Cortesi, read up on it's "quirks", use thread-locking compound and carry a cross-head screwdriver. Either way, flush out the bearings/ pin with lighter fuel, clean and dry it, and re-oil with light (sewing machine/hair-clipper) oil. (Best of all, scrounge a day's loan of a decent pin from a buddy).
Back to the river.

Still having fun?

Right, time for the big one: If your reel is free-running enough to spin under its own inertia/momentum/whatever for ten seconds or so, go to a free water or even a park, stick a swan-shot on the line and, having watched a few youtube tutorials, have a go at the Wallis (THAT's how Mr. Wallis spelt it!). If you find yourself making progress, then is the time to ask about a "good" pin.

To my mind, and for my modest needs and means, a run-in Trudex is as good as it gets; spokes'n'pillars jobs are beautiful, but let in maggot-dust, groundbait, rain-splashes and such, and are best left to the addicts.

When you find yourself trotting for half-pound chub rather than hurl a feeder out into a vast lake and wait for a shoal of bream to drift by, you're an addict...

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
If casting say 2oz+ of lead is the weight enough to turn the spool from a simple cast or does the spool need to be spun eg like in a Wallace cast?

There is nothing to stop you casting straight from the spool as the old Scarborough anglers used to do with their rudimentary wood and brass reels. They used to achieve distances of over 60 yds. However, unless you use a shock leader then there is chance of a breakage and obviously using a shock leader opens a whole can of worms regards fish safety. An under arm cast is best to start off with if you have the room to do it. Otherwise it is an over the top hurl and this is when the stresses come into play.

I can and do occasionally cast straight off the spool using a Trudex, cane Avon and small swim feeders or when dead baiting with the Trent and a pike rod, but usually I Wallis cast especially for float fishing. I can comfortably lob a small feeder 20 metres or so using an under arm off the reel cast.

If you look at the way a multiplier or bait caster is set up for casting lures; dangle the lure off the end of the rod, shake the rod and the lure should drop about 50mm or so. If it doesn't you adjust the drag until it does. That way the reel does not overrun when casting. You can do the same with reels such as Trudex or Youngs Purist. It acts as a safety measure that reduces the chances of an overrun. For casting short distances as when float fishing it matters less. But if casting a heavier load such as the 2 oz weight that you mention I would advise doing this before you start to cast.

Alan Tyler describes better than I can the sort of progression that could be adapted.

thecrow

Reaction score
WHY,WHY,WHY,WHY,WHY,WHY? Got one, like it. Abused it with margin-munching mud pigs; even trotted a bit with it. Can't fault it for the money. What's not to like?

Because to some if it don't cost an arm and a leg its not worth having, pity that fish don't know how much something costs.

I don't own a centre pin but if I wanted to try one I think I would like to try before I buy by asking any mates that use them if they could give some advice and help with a hands on session with one.

Reaction score
To be honest Crow...when compared with many other bits of equipment the Aventa Pro isn't an arm and a leg job(mind you I bought mine about 6 years ago)...yes I saved up for it and had some years of experience using one of those Leeds jobs.

And Matt's initial question was "asking any mates that use them if they could give some advice"

mick b

Reaction score
The fundamental difference between trotting with a centrepin as opposed to any other type of reel is that you can strike with one hand, the 'free spool' is stopped simply by pressing the thumb (of the same hand that is holding the rod) onto the spool rim.
This allows the angler to hold the rod with his arm fully extended and still be in total control of the float tackle, while being free to feed bait, swot a fly etc with the other.

With all other reels one hand is required to hold the rod and the other hand is required to turn the reel handle inorder to engage the bailarm/line pick-up when any contact with the float tackle is required.

As for lugana's post, I fail to see how his singular experience "as a kid" can give him a balanced opinion.
His use of the (offensive) term 'old gits' is neither constructive or helpful to this post and suggests a preconceived idea of who actually owns and uses this type of reel and adds nothing to his reply, nor does his use of a none word neo-tart that doesn't actually exist..........even in the Urban (slang) Dictionary.

greenie62

Reaction score
Lay out a tenner or so on a cheapie; an old brown Aerialite or one of those Theseus things, for example.

Did you enjoy the ........?
If you didn't, stick with the fixed spool, sell the reel on, or use it as a line-store.

Alan's spot-on in his description of getting to grips with a CP - and finding out whether you can get on with it! It's a very personal thing and the 'reel' test is whether you enjoy it or not!

There is a lot of 'tartiness' in the 'reel' world - whether CP or FS reels or used - and the wars that have been argued have taken up more words in this and other fora than fish caught! ;)

I've taken the 'start cheap' option over the years and have now worked my way up to the £10 level! ;) - but gained a lot of experience in that time and would now buy a quite different CP reel to use - if I wanted to!

The mechanical engineering and sheer precision of centre-pins can be distracting and beguiling - I'm not denying they can be things of beauty - but the true test of them is the functionality - do you get 10 times the functionality for 10 times the cost? I would suggest NOT!

Try - before you buy!
:thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
To be honest Crow...when compared with many other bits of equipment the Aventa Pro isn't an arm and a leg job(mind you I bought mine about 6 years ago)...yes I saved up for it and had some years of experience using one of those Leeds jobs.

And Matt's initial question was "asking any mates that use them if they could give some advice"

The "arm and a leg" bit is subjective what's reasonable to one is unreasonable to another. The fish however still don't care how much tackle costs. Having looked at the cost of the reel you mention that would be a lot of money for me to spend without knowing the reel would be the one for me.

I have friends that use CPs for all of their fishing others that only use them for trotting, advice is all well and good but we are all different and I would if considering getting a CP want to try different types before buying, without doing that how can anyone know what suits them?

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
The mechanical engineering and sheer precision of centre-pins can be distracting and beguiling - I'm not denying they can be things of beauty - but the true test of them is the functionality - do you get 10 times the functionality for 10 times the cost? I would suggest NOT!

Apply the same analogy to your car and ask yourself if you would swop it for an Audi, Range Rover or Bentley or (insert favourite car here) :eek:mg:
Would you be getting 10times anything more than your present car provides, I doubt it,........but wouldn't you enjoy the experience of using it :D

A handmade centrepin is similar to a handmade motorcar, superb engineering, made by craftsman, driven by those who want them and most importantly, can afford them.

greenie62

Reaction score
Apply the same analogy to your car and ask yourself if you would swop it for an Audi, Range Rover or Bentley or (insert favourite car here)
Would you be getting 10times anything more than your present car provides, I doubt it,........but wouldn't you enjoy the experience of using it
Agreed Mick - BUT - would you go and buy 'an Audi, Range Rover or Bentley' as your first car? ;):rolleyes::eek:mg: