The centrepin reel thread......

john step

Reaction score
What qualities do different anglers want from a line? there seems to be so many conflicting views on whats good for what that there must be lots of different things required by different anglers even for doing the same job.

Any time the question of line comes up it always raises loads of opinions from members, all lines as far as I know are made from polymers how different can they be?

You have hit on a thread that I have often wondered about. I tend to get on and use whatever I have. I have sensor in various bulk spools. I use it. I have high tec for hooklengths when needed.
There again I use a lot of cheaper end rods that seem OK to me.(My new Acy excepted which was a BIG indulgence).
Centre pins seem to attract experts who don't like this or that minute feature. It leaves me behind those little details.

Perhaps it my being dragged up in Dagenham .:eek::D

mikench

Reaction score
Members of the jury you have been charged with deciding which mono line is the canines whatnots for all manner of fishing and having deliberated for the same length of time this country has had a judicial system, you clearly cannot reach a unanimous verdict! Indeed like Binka deliberating between 8, 12 or 16 cans of the Hispanic nectar you are unlikely to even come to a majority verdict so you are all discharged from your obligations and free to buy whatever b****y line you like!:rolleyes:

As a loyalist and out of due respect for my trotting coach I shall stick with Sensor!:rolleyes:

Seasons greetings to all and I hope Santa brings you the mono you like best!:D

B

binka

What qualities do different anglers want from a line? there seems to be so many conflicting views on whats good for what that there must be lots of different things required by different anglers even for doing the same job.

Any time the question of line comes up it always raises loads of opinions from members, all lines as far as I know are made from polymers how different can they be?

I just want and use a very good all rounder.

A reasonable and even diameter for the stated b/s and an actual b/s which bears a resemblance, along with good wear qualities and the right balance of stretch without being too stretchy, if it's reasonably supple as well then I'm happy enough.

I'm not one for using several different lines for different purposes and I can't be doing with the faff, even if there is an advantage by doing so.

It works for me and I generally tend to do ok :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

A reasonable and even diameter for the stated b/s and an actual b/s which bears a resemblance, along with good wear qualities and the right balance of stretch without being too stretchy, if it's reasonably supple as well then I'm happy enough.

I'm not one for using several different lines for different purposes and I can't be doing with the faff, even if there is an advantage by doing so.

I understand perfectly where you're coming from, Steve and I am broadly of the same view.....but in the same way as no one rod [or reel] will do everything well I think its exactly the same with line. I am reasonably content [ well....perfectly content tbh] with the brands I use when I'm feeder fishing or lumping it....say,from about a notional 5-6lb bs upwards. Its the lower bs/diameters I get a bit hysterical about where the properties/qualities/weaknesses [?] of a particular brand are much more obvious. In short....where you are more likely to get found out.

I dont generally like hi-tech low diameter lines....or didn't until I found one I trusted which they promptly stopped making !

I don't like lines that to me feel wiry or that have a tendency to coil. And I don't like dark coloured lines either. So I wont use them because I'd never feel comfortable doing so.

I've never yet found any brand that I think will do everything I might ever want it to do well. The nearest is probably Pro Gold but it is a tad too thick in the lower bs for my liking.....in every other respect it ticks all the boxes for me but you wont find it on any of my pins or "light" reels.

Life was so much simpler when I was a boy....it was basically Platil or Sylcast.

thecrow

Reaction score

And that for me should be what anyone needs to use no matter what the make, (how many line manufacturers can there be ) I cant help but feel that a lot of anglers complicate things for themselves. Mono is just an extruded plastic.

YouTube

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I cant help but feel that a lot of anglers complicate things for themselves.

You may have a point, but I'd counter with some anglers way over simplifying things and making their fishing that little bit more difficult than is absolutely necessary.

From those that make do with a single rod for all their floatfishing needs, I can cope with the prospect of one type of hook, float or line etc being quite adequate. For those that have multiple rods and reels, let alone hook and float types, I find it quite difficult to understand how they are fine with a "that'll do" single line type. It's not like it's the most expensive item of tackle in the world and it could easily be considered to be one of the most important.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You may have a point, but I'd counter with some anglers way over simplifying things and making their fishing that little bit more difficult than is absolutely necessary.

From those that make do with a single rod for all their floatfishing needs, I can cope with the prospect of one type of hook, float or line etc being quite adequate. For those that have multiple rods and reels, let alone hook and float types, I find it quite difficult to understand how they are fine with a "that'll do" single line type. It's not like it's the most expensive item of tackle in the world and it could easily be considered to be one of the most important.

I've used loads of different lines over the years, one of fhe best ones I had was an abu branded line on bulk spools, it was excellent line and I shared what I had with my m8's who all became hooked on it :eek:mg:. One day I went to get some more and low and behold it had vanished off the shelves and we all tried our hardest to find some but we never did.
I wasted far too much money on all manner of monos trying to find the best all rounder and when I eventually came across sensor about 12yrs ago I was very happy with it, and I still am. As you say line is a very important part of an anglers armoury and sensor has proved itself worthy to go on my reels on countless occassions. Same goes for hooks, I swear by drennan superspades and kamasan animals for the majority of my float fishing, be it running water or still waters.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've used loads of different lines over the years, one of fhe best ones I had was an abu branded line on bulk spools, it was excellent line and I shared what I had with my m8's who all became hooked on it :eek:mg:. One day I went to get some more and low and behold it had vanished off the shelves and we all tried our hardest to find some but we never did.
I wasted far too much money on all manner of monos trying to find the best all rounder and when I eventually came across sensor about 12yrs ago I was very happy with it, and I still am. As you say line is a very important part of an anglers armoury and sensor has proved itself worthy to go on my reels on countless occassions. Same goes for hooks, I swear by drennan superspades and kamasan animals for the majority of my float fishing, be it running water or still waters.

I suspect you know full well that I have my favourites, but the prospect of keeping it simple with one type of float, hook, line etc leaves me just as cold as making do with one rod for all my fishing. Unless I fished the same bait, the same method on the same venue I could not manage with a single type of float, hook, line, rod etc. These allrounders just don't exist for me. I just can't compromise quite as much as many seem happy to. If something just does the job or is just pretty good, chances are that it won't last long with me. Compromise only comes into play when I've run out of alternative options on the bank. If the best that I can say for something is that it's cheap, or even free, I don't really want to use it, eat it, own it etc.

What I'm not suggesting, and never have suggested, is that you can't catch fish by making do with one rod, reel, line, float, hook type etc etc.

thecrow

Reaction score
And I don't like dark coloured lines either. So I wont use them because I'd never feel comfortable doing so

Are there specific reasons why not or is it just how you feel about dark lines ?

If its just how you feel about it could that not apply to different lines with there being no reasons for preferring one above another just what the angler "feels"

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Are there specific reasons why not or is it just how you feel about dark lines ?

If its just how you feel about it could that not apply to different lines with there being no reasons for preferring one above another just what the angler "feels"

It's just me being me. I happily used dark lines for years until I saw a thing about clear lines and spooky barbel and I switched. TBH I've gone away from clear lines too now preferring a pale green which seems the best all round compromise to me. A lot of clear lines were, to my eyes, not clear at all but white and very soon got mucky which kind of defeated the whole point.

It does all come down to personal preferences in the end. There is no earthly reason why I should be bothered about dark coloured line if I'm fishing after dark over a dark bottom.....but I still won't put it on my reels because I just don't feel right doing so and would fret about it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suspect you know full well that I have my favourites, but the prospect of keeping it simple with one type of float, hook, line etc leaves me just as cold as making do with one rod for all my fishing. Unless I fished the same bait, the same method on the same venue I could not manage with a single type of float, hook, line, rod etc. These allrounders just don't exist for me. I just can't compromise quite as much as many seem happy to. If something just does the job or is just pretty good, chances are that it won't last long with me. Compromise only comes into play when I've run out of alternative options on the bank. If the best that I can say for something is that it's cheap, or even free, I don't really want to use it, eat it, own it etc.

What I'm not suggesting, and never have suggested, is that you can't catch fish by making do with one rod, reel, line, float, hook type etc etc.

The reason i'm smiten with the drennan superspades and animals is because in their different sizes they cover a wide range of situations and different baits.
Obviously I use different floats and hooks if the bait and circumstances require it.
I do like using different rods and reels as it helps to stop things becoming stagnent for me which would probably make me less enthusiastic about fishing and the result would be less and less outings.
For trotting I know for certain that I could get away with one rod to cover all circumstances, the rod is the Avenger which for me feels great winding in dace to double figure barbel...an amazing rod!
As I said earlier I have gone through the search for the best line and for me personally i'm happy with what I use today for my trotting and float fishing. If I went all out fishing for large educated roach I would most likely look at using lighter mainlines which would jell better with lighter hooklengths but as it is I don't really go below 3lb hooklengths so a 4lb mainline with good stretch is spot on for me ;)

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm sure we've all got our preferences for particular lines. The ones I've mentioned are the ones I use for most of the type of fishing I like, which tends to involve light gear and catches of small to medium fish. For the types of fishing I do less often, such as fishing for barbel, chub or carp, I'd favour different lines. I don't mind using different lines for different jobs, just as I don't mind using different model hooks, or even rods and reels.. I'm fussier over the make of light lines than I am over heavy ones – but heavy for me would be 5lb and over.

For light waggler fishing I've found 1.5 to 2.5 Maxima the best. As has been said, low memory, well-behaved, slick long-lasting surface, robust, and stretchy – useful quality for a light reel line. Some stretch in the mainline lets you get away with lighter hooklengths.

For an all-round light leger/ light feeder reel line, 3 or 4lb Maxima. Suits everything from feedering for bream and tench to fishing for chub on little rivers and brooks. Has proved reliable, indeed, often seems indestructible.

For light, general stick float fishing, I've been using 3lb Drennan Supplex. Has a “lighter” feel than Maxima, floats well with a bit of a spray, knots well and has proved surprisingly strong. I've persevered despite some initial reservations: it can curl and coil a bit and seems to have a more fragile surface ie it shows wear relatively quickly, doesn't like having shot moved around on it, and if it ever tangles the kinks etc won't drop out. If it were female, you might say higher maintenance than its equivalent Maxima.

For rig line and hooklengths on pole gear, I like Silstar Match Team, which seems to have a great balance between lowish diameter, lowish stretch and hardwearing strength.

For running line, where the fish are not cushioned by a long length of elastic, I'm not keen on pre-stretched lines, and I'm still using what I was using when rods where made of fibreglass – stretchy Kamasan/Bayer Perlon, most often in 1.7lb, but with 2.1 and 2.6 at times.

I've tried a few modern hooklength lines, but none have lived up to their hype, and I still lament the passing of Sundridge Green Force and Racine Tortue in lighter strains.

Philip

Reaction score
For years I made do with 2 mainlines…one that floats and one that sinks. Once I find something that works I tend to stick with it and that’s pretty much the same today although I have added 3rd option in more recent years which is braid.

Its when I cant find my usual line that I tend to experiment with a new one but I don’t like chopping and changing looking for a minor edge. I prefer the security of knowing what I am using wont let me down.

I think allot depends on the type of fishing your doing. If your generally targeting bigger fish and want to be sure you land what you hook every time you are probably more likely to be in the “if it aint bust don’t fix it” camp. On the other hand if your more into match type fishing and building up a bag of fish I imagine you more likely to play around with line as if you lose the odd fish its not the end of the world, another one with be along soon.

I am of the former camp for sure and the things I hate changing more than anything else are line or hooks as they really are the essentials when you boil it all down. I pick something I have confidence in, get to know it well and stick with it.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It’s all down to finding a line you are happy with, and lines can be treated to float or sink.
Proof is in the reading of this thread, and it’s clear we differ, from clear to dark, low diameter to pro gold.
It’s also the same for hook lengths, we find something we are happy with, but it’s not for everyone.

It you are happy with what you are using, why change? If it isn’t broken, Don’t fix it.

mikench

Reaction score
I have line I will never use bought when I didn't know better( not much improvement since) and on spools containing 1000 yards!;)

I stick to 4 to 6lb line generally going lighter with the hooklength! We will never see much consensus on line much like most things!;)

mikench

Reaction score
I thought my 4000th post should be erudite, factual and informative on all things centre pin related! I decided I had nothing to add!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This fella seems to like using sensor, i've noticed he uses it in a few of his vid's......

YouTube