The centrepin reel thread......

nottskev

Reaction score
This fella seems to like using sensor, i've noticed he uses it in a few of his vid's......

YouTube

He does. I always envied his seatbox, with its small footprint and big tray on the side. I believe he had it made by Matchbox. Have you seen his Ribble roach video?

sam vimes

Reaction score
This fella seems to like using sensor, i've noticed he uses it in a few of his vid's......

YouTube

On this logic, I guess you'll be getting Cadence rods and reels, without even seeing them first, ASAP. Put my name on the 13' Acolyte Plus, Acolyte Carp Waggler and any minty Normarks that you'll obviously be getting shot of.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He does. I always envied his seatbox, with its small footprint and big tray on the side. I believe he had it made by Matchbox. Have you seen his Ribble roach video?

As far as seat boxes go it does look good a good one....I think you have a seat box fetish though so it'll be more interesting to you ;).
I only ever had one box, it was a Milo Tardis and it weighed a ton on my back, I couldn't wait to sell it and it sold for a lot more than I paid for it.
I wished i'd bought several more because I was inundated with buyers for it!

Philip

Reaction score
Seatboxes :eek:mg:

You may as well just carry a chest of draws on your back.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like i had a good buy with my Berwick, a used one just sold on the bay for £122 are they getting rare?

I don't think they're going to be rare for a number of years Graham. The prices vary from time to time depending upon how many people want it at the time.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Looks like i had a good buy with my Berwick,

I wouldn't have flagged it to you had it not looked like being a good buy.;)

a used one just sold on the bay for £122 are they getting rare?

Here's all the recent Greys Bewick that have sold on ebay. The price can fluctuate from sale to sale with little obvious reason. I'd suggest it is generally fairly random. However, the one that sold for £122 the other day just happened to be one of the original "Made In England" models, the one with the nicotine handles. Another of the originals sold for £129.99 a couple of weeks back. I'd wonder if there's the odd collector becoming interested in them. However, that doesn't really explain the Korean made one that sold for £144 at the end of November. Ultimately, I wouldn't get too excited over the prices on ebay. If you do keep an eye on them, be aware of the two versions. The latter version is reputed to be the better user anyway.

thecrow

Reaction score

Here's all the recent Greys Bewick that have sold on ebay. The price can fluctuate from sale to sale with little obvious reason. I'd suggest it is generally fairly random. However, the one that sold for £122 the other day just happened to be one of the original "Made In England" models, the one with the nicotine handles. Another of the originals sold for £129.99 a couple of weeks back. I'd wonder if there's the odd collector becoming interested in them. However, that doesn't really explain the Korean made one that sold for £144 at the end of November. Ultimately, I wouldn't get too excited over the prices on ebay. If you do keep an eye on them, be aware of the two versions. The latter version is reputed to be the better user anyway.

All more than what i paid :) for the one you spotted Chris, i am all the more pleased with a smashing reel at a great price :w

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Regarding the reel with the nicotine handles and no centreboss screw...once the pin or bush get worn the reels are pretty much throw away, unless you get a new bush and pin fitted. Only recently I bumped into a friend of mine using his on a still water. The spool is seriously loose now and he doesn't use it on running water any longer. He said that would be the last time he would use the reel and he was going to bin it when he got home :eek:. At the end of the day he'd had lots of use from it so he wasn't at all bothered.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Regarding the reel with the nicotine handles and no centreboss screw...once the pin or bush get worn the reels are pretty much throw away, unless you get a new bush and pin fitted. Only recently I bumped into a friend of mine using his on a still water. The spool is seriously loose now and he doesn't use it on running water any longer. He said that would be the last time he would use the reel and he was going to bin it when he got home :eek:. At the end of the day he'd had lots of use from it so he wasn't at all bothered.

That's why I mentioned collectors and the later version being the better for actually using. However, I suspect that there might be the odd hybrid about. I no longer have it to check, but I'm convinced that I had a Made in England Bewick that had a float adjustment screw. I don't know if it was a bitsa version or retro-fitted.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned collectors and the later version being the better for actually using. However, I suspect that there might be the odd hybrid about. I no longer have it to check, but I'm convinced that I had a Made in England Bewick that had a float adjustment screw. I don't know if it was a bitsa version or retro-fitted.

I've never seen one of the older versions with a centre boss screw Chris, if you could find one it would be a very rare item.....rockin horse shyt comes to mind ;).
I would imagine the rarity value alone of such a reel would make it very desirable to lots of centrepin reel collectors!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to this part of the thread, apologies if this is discussed elsewhere. Are the Bewicks still in production? I bought a new one just over a year ago for £120, not many retailers advertising them now but I do see AD have them on at an eye watering £199! but out of stock.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never seen one of the older versions with a centre boss screw Chris, if you could find one it would be a very rare item.....rockin horse shyt comes to mind ;).
I would imagine the rarity value alone of such a reel would make it very desirable to lots of centrepin reel collectors!

Only if it came from the factory that way. Even if my memory is not deceiving me, I have my doubts that it left the factory that way.

Are the Bewicks still in production? I bought a new one just over a year ago for £120, not many retailers advertising them now but I do see AD have them on at an eye watering £199! but out of stock.

The short answer is no. Hardy have discontinued the Conquest and Greys have discontinued the Bewick.

nottskev

Reaction score
I picked up this reel quite cheaply lately. Its proportions are quite nice in a dinky kind of way - only 3 3/4" across the spool - but the spool is very wide - just over 1 1/8". I don't know what the purpose of such a wide spool is; anyone know? What, if anything, would you think it best suited to?

I can see there's a clue in the name. but even so........

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Apparently as the spool is wider and thus heavier it makes them less suited to trotting when compared to a narrow drum as you have a greater inertia to over come to get the spool spinning; I seriously doubt it matters in practise. If I remember the true pin trotter in wide drum flavour was popular with the barbel boys for ledgering.

Personally I find a wide spool a lot more comfortable to break with my thumb so I use a wide spool for everything.