The feel of a rod

mikench

Reaction score
I have a few rods and like them all. I know the difference between a float rod and a feeder rod but in practice when actually playing a fish is there any real difference other than the type of action and the quality of the rod. Recently i have always enjoyed a spot of floater fishing and i usually use an Avon type rod if a lead is involved and a float rod for free lining bread or using a controller float.

Yesterday I had 7 carp and but for my day being curtailed, would have caught more. I was using a 14' Sphere and found it admirable for casting accurately, picking up the line to straighten it and connecting with bites at 40m distance. The fish playing action was a joy and at no point did I feel the rod was outgunned and why should it have been? I was able to apply pressure to keep fish out of margin iris and small clumps of lily pads.

My question is in a snag free water with fish to 10 /11 lb at best should I really have used something else and why. I accept a double figure barbel in a river or a 20lb carp in snaggy weedy swims are a different kettle of fish.??

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
My question is in a snag free water with fish to 10 /11 lb at best should I really have used something else and why. I accept a double figure barbel in a river or a 20lb carp in snaggy weedy swims are a different kettle of fish.??
I use the same rod for everything so when floater fishing for carp that size it's paired with 4lb line, people say that's too light but I rarely get broken as I know the rod/line pairing so well, I find the carp could take off but they don't and the main issue is with them plodding around under the rod tip, if your rod can handle that then there's no problem at all. They have the whole lake to go to yet decide under your feet is the place to be, why carp why?

Also double figure barbel aren't the problem it's those 5-7lb fish that will test your tackle to the limit :)

Reaction score
I prefer a float rod,of moderate power for floater fishing,lines of 4/6lbs(virtually snag free),I would suggest trying dry expander pellets,feeding mainly 6mm,8's and 10/12mm if you can,feed sparingly and take time to get their confidence,if you can freeline a bigger pellet on the band,personally most anglers fish too heavy off the top and get many aborted takes,so unless very snaggy,weedy,or big fish(twenties)are expected I would do what you do with impunity,through action rods don't cast light baits well...